Sign in to follow this  
srdrgz12

Original Hotshot Drive Shafts (pics added)

I was visiting my parents during the holidays and decided to dig up my old Hotshot from their attic.  To say it's in rough condition would be an understatement. 

Nonetheless, I have decided to restore it. So far,  I've found and ordered all the broken and missing parts, except for the rear drive shafts. I've scoured ebay and found plenty of the front (short) drive shafts but I don't need those ones, of course. 

Hopefully, someone in this forum can point me in the right direction.  

I'm also looking for a battery cover for the Airtronics VT 2P gun style radio. However, this is a lot less of a priority to me. 

Thanks for any and all help. 

IMG_20161231_165851432-1632x918.jpg

IMG_20161231_170043006-1632x918.jpg

IMG_20161231_165856819-1632x918.jpg

Edited by srdrgz12
Added Pics

Thanks but the re-release drive shafts won't fit the original. I believe the circular parts at the ends at too big. I think some people have grinded the re-release drive shafts to fit the original but I'd like to avoid that if possible. 

47 minutes ago, srdrgz12 said:

Thanks but the re-release drive shafts won't fit the original. I believe the circular parts at the ends at too big. I think some people have grinded the re-release drive shafts to fit the original but I'd like to avoid that if possible. 

Thats bad, but if you change drive cups/outdrives as well...

Thanks again for the response. I'm not opposed to changing the drive cups, providing its not too difficult.  I would only need them for the rear but... I can't find the re re cups either.  I found the original cups online but I can't seem to find the re re ones. 

The hunt continues.  

I would love to see some pic's of your old war horse ^_^ BTW where are you located?

• Like 1

The rear shafts on the (Original) Hot shot Are the same length as the (original) Boomerang versions (just no alloy) So if you are after something to get it running while you wait for the correct ones to come up, those are what to get :)

ZMxhSZF.jpg

As all my cars are runners :)  these are the spares to keep them that way :P so sorry not available :(

Zek5i7K.jpg

As much as I'd like the original rear drive shafts, I'd definitely settle for the compatible boomerang ones. 

However, those don't seem to be available either.  The "short" drive shafts are the only ones I've been able to find. 

I'm not necessarily in a rush to complete it and I would like to do right. So, I'll try to remain patient. :D

Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated.  

1 hour ago, chickenman242tk said:

Thundershot shafts will also fit , the outdrives and axles are a generic part used in many kits like stadium blitzer ect

I haven't seen any documentation stating that the thundershot shafts will fit. They're under $10 on ebay so I might just order a pair and cross my fingers.  I'll continue to look for the originals but it'd be nice if the thundershot one's do fit. 

Thanks for the info

10 hours ago, chevelle said:

The rear shafts on the (Original) Hot shot Are the same length as the (original) Boomerang versions (just no alloy) So if you are after something to get it running while you wait for the correct ones to come up, those are what to get :)

ZMxhSZF.jpg

As all my cars are runners :)  these are the spares to keep them that way :P so sorry not available :(

Zek5i7K.jpg

These look like they are 70mm from the picture. DT-02 ones or the cheap HPI equivalent are 70mm.

Balls on the end are a lot smaller on the DT ones :-( 5.86mm

You will most likely have to use the newer outdrives and axles to able to use thundershot dogbones. Being as cheap as they are a set could be had quite cheap while hunting down vtg gear.

Im running thundershot shafts in my boomer and to my calculations they are similar both boomer and hotshot