Wooders28

Optima mid inserts?

I've bought a set of schumacher tyres for my mid.

I have never ran tyre inserts in any vintage cars,are they available in 2", and is it worth doing? 

20161227_210724_1.jpg

It's personal preference and what kind of rubber the tire is made of that determines the need for tire foam/inserts, really.  If the tire compound is very soft then the tires will compress easily and foam inserts will definitely help them resist compressing down flat when jumping and hitting bumps/rocks.   On the other hand, if the rubber is hard enough to withstand jumps and whatever kinds of driving you do without flattening out over every bump (like most Tamiya tires do), then tire inserts probably are not needed.

As for your other question, I don't know.  I don't have many tires that have foam inserts so not sure what sizes are available.

• Like 1

Not that much of a choice these days for 2" rubber! 

I've not glued them, so will give them a whirl and see how they cope with a 12T brushless and 2S.

Foam will help a bit in cornering too.

• Like 1

Inserts will also help stop the tyres from deforming and "flatspotting" if you leave the car standing for any length of time.

14 hours ago, Yalson said:

Inserts will also help stop the tyres from deforming and "flatspotting" if you leave the car standing for any length of time.

It's been a year and I've not had much trouble, pulls wheelies for fun with the brushless setup, so may try and retro fit a modern slipper, although it grip rolls when racing on carpet, but not sure if inserts would help?

Not with the grip rolling. I suppose it could be argued that by maintaining the correct tyre profile inserts might reduce tyre deformation and therefore reduce mechanical grip, but if you are rolling over in the corners due to excessive grip levels, I would suggest you need to fit some less grippy tyres rather than fiddling with tyre profiles.

• Like 1