MAD RACER

Sand Scorcher built for beach running

Well I finished my X mas present to me.

My 2010 Sand Scorcher.

Was a interesting build and I now have 2 SRB's in my stable.

Nothing special just a Torque Tunw with a Hobby wing Quickrun running 2 to 3s for beach duties and Alloy wheels.  Should be nice on the beach. I sealed up the gearboix cases, Gear cover & motor cap for light water running on the beach.

20161229_163240_zpsulmscupo.jpg

20161228_190259_zpsrpqqytfq.jpg

20161229_163322_zpskanajj9f.jpg

• Like 7

Looking forward to a few beach bashing pic's :D Tidy work buddy, nice wheels :)

The power in that Scorcher must be tremendous! Your drive is so frightened he's as pale as a ghost. :lol: Looks fantastic. 

• Like 1

Very nice! I love the way Scorchers run on sand.

If you would like to learn from my mistakes, don't put any grease between the plastic servo-saver and the body post.

After running mine for 2-3 hours (maiden voyage) my steering basically seized solid. Sand had mixed with the grease to make a grinding paste, that as it ground away the plastic, made

room for even more sand to get in. By the time I noticed there was a problem, the steering wouldn't move at all. After clearing out an unbelievable amount of sandy paste, the resulting play

between the parts was enough to make the servo-saver touch the front suspension cross-members giving a big lump in the steering.

Not good.

I chose to grind a shallow C-section in the middle cross-member to allow clearance, and then bought all the affected parts to keep in stock should I wish to return it to as-new condition. Which

wasn't paticularly cheap. :(

• Like 2

Fuijo is right in that you need to clean any excess oils or grease off of anything that will be exposed to sand.  After each time, you need to wash the chassis to prevent salt from corroding everything. 

You've made a valiant effort on sealing the gearbox however sand will find a way in. I run mine a lot at the beach.  On my first go around, I thought I was hot stuff using an aerospace grade rtv sealant only to find sand had infiltrated the gearbox and made a mess of all my CRP brass gears.  The strangest thing is that I think there was more sand in the gearbox when I used sealant than all the times I didn't use sealant.  Maybe The sealant causes a static charge that makes the sand attract  I just clean an regrease the transmission 

• Like 3

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I did not use any grease on any pivot points as I know how Tamiya likes to over use the grease.

Mmmm maybe I will just run a dirty old Hornet or Grasshopper on the beach and don't care so much as we all know this is not a cheapie. It's the radio case that really drew me on this as a beach runner but after hearing you all I'm not so sure now.

Nope, no backing out now. This definitely has to be run on the beach :)

My experience is it's fine as long as you're sensible and clean it up afterwards.

• Like 1

Cool "ride" there, MAD RACER !! 

May I know what lipo are you using, please? Is it the 'hard case' type?

• Like 1

Nicely done SS! I built one about a year ago with the same intentions of beach running. The old promo tapes made it look so fun. I sealed the gear case. I made foam seals for the suspension and steering pivots. In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to run it at the beach. Sand does get everywhere and salt water corrodes metal like no tomorrow. I looked at the whole Tamiya range and came to the conclusion a Hornet/Grasshopper or Lunch Box would be best for the beach. They're 1. cheap 2. mostly plastic, thus impervious to salt water (screws excepted) 3. have a well-sealed, simple gearbox 4. are easy to dismantle for any cleaning. Not as romantic as a Sand Scorcher, but more practical.

• Like 1

My best beach runner is a wild willy 2. Larger tires can move around in the sand better

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steponit! said:

Cool "ride" there, MAD RACER !! 

May I know what lipo are you using, please? Is it the 'hard case' type?

Well the plan was to run a hard case shorty  so I cut up the foam case for the battery . I painted up the shell then packed it all up to build while on on our vacation.  The problem is the wires exit on top of the battery so no room for the wires unless I run the battery pushed all the one side but that will affect the side to side balance.

My smaller 3s soft pack is looking like the go. Maybe others can chime in. Showdog what do you run in batteries?

3 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

Showdog what do you run in batteries?

My runner is somewhat old school. For years I used a 2000 nicd that I've soldered in hump pack form but the 17turn motor just kills it.  Recently I've had to "upgrade" and build a new 3300 nimh hump pack. Longer run time just not so sure the punch is there like it used to be with the 2000 nicd.  

Here is a burn out to inspire you to get your scorcher to the beach

05935EC0-370E-4BF2-9042-333CF50131CF_zps

• Like 1

It was called a sand scorcher for a reason. Have your tools on hand and be prepared for a strip down. Some of my greatest childhood memories include destroying a srb on the beach!!!!  

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 6:44 AM, MAD RACER said:

Well the plan was to run a hard case shorty  so I cut up the foam case for the battery . I painted up the shell then packed it all up to build while on on our vacation.  The problem is the wires exit on top of the battery so no room for the wires unless I run the battery pushed all the one side but that will affect the side to side balance.

My smaller 3s soft pack is looking like the go. Maybe others can chime in. Showdog what do you run in batteries?

Thanks, MAD RACER !

Happy New Year !

• Like 1

They are a set of tires from an AYK 566B that have every third paddle shaved off. 

• Like 1

shodog 

would it be possible for you to get a good couple of pics to show me please.  Just love the rooster tail of sand

wild

Yes Matt.

Unfortunately  it wasn't as successful as I hoped.

The electric's failed. Haven't gone through it but either the Quickrun or motor let go. The small 3S battery is a suspect too.

Apart from that it was not bad on the beach at all.

Been busy restoring a Gallop Mk2

• Like 1