Escher

Finally built a Frog after 30 years!

Long story, but I'll give the cliffs notes version.  I first saw a Frog at Joe's Hobbies in Farmington Michigan around 1984/85 ( I was about 12 at the time).  I was in there looking for parts for my Hornet and a guy had brought his kids Frog in to have it worked on.  I will never forget how that amazing machine looked sitting on the counter as they talked about it... I thought it was the coolest looking RC car I had ever seen.

Fast forward 30 years and I've had RC10's, RC10GT's, Nitro MT's, Nitro RS4's, Rally cars, 1/8th scale cars, Rock Crawlers.... but that Frog has always been stuck in my head as the pinnacle of RC awesomeness.

Well - I finally decided to pull the trigger before the re-re is discontinued.

I also found out that unlike when I was a kid and rushed to finish a model - there is a lot to be said for taking your time over several days and planning things out... and actually enjoying the build!

So - Here is my Frog - 30 years in the making!  Body is a little rough as I had to make a bunch of mods as I did the wire routing... so I'm going to be getting another body for sitting on the shelf and keep this one as a basher...

Some quick Specs:

Associated XP3G 3 Channel radio and reciever

Tekin FX-R ESC

T-Pro MG958 Hi Torque Metal Gear servo 

Axial LED light controller and lights

Tamiya Sport Tuned motor

Full Bearing Kit

All Deans connectors

Stainless steel turnbuckles and upgraded steering rod ends

Waiting on some shrink wrap for the antenna - had to use some zip ties for now..

31149883273_4751368f5b_c.jpg

Tamiya frog by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

• Like 12

That thing looks awesome! I was considering a Frog myself, but being a monster truck kid at heart, had to get a Lunchie. I hope I can still snag one of these before they shoot up in value on eBay!

• Like 1

What kind of battery are you using???  I assume you have a LiPo in there???

Thanks,

Terry

• Like 2

Great choice of colour scheme , gotta love the Frog . I've had many , still have a runner and a re-re still boxed

• Like 1

I waited thirty years for mine too! I received it from a member with a view to making a Brat runner but I think it looks great running round. I've ball raced it and may put the light kit on too! :D

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice colour scheme Escher

Always liked the Frog, tempted to pick one up before they disappear 

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliments on the colors!  Colors are what I had available - I also have been playing with camo on one of my rifles so the light is Khaki and the dark is earth brown.

14 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

What kind of battery are you using???  I assume you have a LiPo in there???

Thanks,

Terry

Yep - Lipo..

12 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Also..picture without the body please....

No Problemo!!

Also included a pic with lights on..  Not sure what to do with the light controller yet, so its just zip-tied in place for now.

31606408650_fcc3503a3a_c.jpg

31831951412_d7a8eda1fb_c.jpg

31831951492_eb96fc10e1_c.jpg

• Like 1

Current plans are to get a rear shock mount stiffener as that appears to be a failure prone area, a second body and some spare parts trees while they are still cheap.  

I also have an Associated RC8.3 1.8 scale buggy - and that thing is so stinking fast it almost not even fun - tears the tires off the rims nearly every run and I have to reglue them...  I'm actually really liking the three piece rims and slower speed on the Frog as its much more enjoyable to "play" with without worrying about a 40+mph rocket flying around...

Apologies to the group for the elementary question... :wacko:  but did you have to mod anything to fit the lipo?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Apologies to the group for the elementary question... :wacko:  but did you have to mod anything to fit the lipo?

I just added some washers as spacers for the two plastic pieces that attach on the sides since the lipo was a bit tight... I think I did 2 or 3 washers under each screw (4 screws total).  I saw this trick somewhere along the way when I was planning my build.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Escher said:

I just added some washers as spacers for the two plastic pieces that attach on the sides since the lipo was a bit tight... I think I did 2 or 3 washers under each screw (4 screws total).  I saw this trick somewhere along the way when I was planning my build.

I used a pair of the nylon wheel bearings on each side to get extra space.  

Actually, I was asking you what brand and model number of LiPo battery are you using. 

Thanks,

Terry

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

I used a pair of the nylon wheel bearings on each side to get extra space.  

Actually, I was asking you what brand and model number of LiPo battery are you using. 

Thanks,

Terry

Well - Now it looks like I'll be using Nimh for the time being...  The Lipo I was using was an older one I got with another car and it charged fine the first time - but now its giving errors (invalid cell voltage)... so I'm going to play it safe and not use it... I have several Nimh's I can use...

1 hour ago, kontemax said:

What color is this?

Max

Rustoleum Camouflage -  Khaki and Earth Brown...

I figured - being a sand racer, it would fit well...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Escher said:

It works really well with the molded chassis color!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Escher said:

Won't that crack and flake off with use? Looks great though