Finally got a Clod Buster and have been building it over the last 3 weeks.  Right now in it's current incarnation it's pretty much stock except for full ball-bearings.

Current

Electronics:  Hobbywing Quicrun 860 dual brushed, Tamiya Silver Cans
DriveTrain: Full Ball-Bearings

Future  (I've already got parts lined up for future modification of this big boy.)

Electronics: 2x Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL60, 2x Tacon 5900kv Brushless
Chassis: CPE Time Warp chassis, CPE 4-link kit, CPE rear steer lockout, CPE Dual shock mounts, Level 3 link mounts, Axle guard servo mount (not yet acquired), upgraded steering links (not yet acquired)
Suspension: Traxxas Aluminum Big Bore shocks x 8

I'm going to run it for a while in it's stock form until all the upgrade parts come in and I have time to mess with it.

Chassis, nothing special

30838364623_67a319cc88_b.jpg

Hobbywing Quicrun 860 Dual Brushed Esc

31275830690_83f6c51349_b.jpg

Pictures of body

31844985851_1da22f94f3_b.jpg

31152280223_71fc775ffe_b.jpg

Mounted on truck

31844990591_6eff110585_b.jpg

31961602085_6c7564d652_b.jpg

31924822426_3edc136680_b.jpg

I have not figured out what I want to do with the fog lamps on the roll bar yet.  I considered putting the yellow decals on it, but I thought the yellow would clash too much with the paint job.  I'll probably end up making my own white blank stickers to put over those fog lamps.

I also have a light kit on the way that will be added to this clod as well.

• Like 8

You can always spray the blue f parts in black for bumpers, struts and black or silver for the suspension which makes the world of difference. 

9 hours ago, Prescient said:

You can always spray the blue f parts in black for bumpers, struts and black or silver for the suspension which makes the world of difference. 

no need.  It's not going to stay this way for long.

Nice! I built one of these about a year ago. Its a wonderful build, and actually a great runner. Like you, I added the bearings and also a metal anti-rotation bracket. I read on some forums that little plastic bit that is supposed to keep both transmissions from spinning likes to snap.

Beautiful example.  I would keep this built the way it is and just purchase the separate gear box assemblies and build the second mod clod myself.  Wouldn't be much more money and you'd have a racer and a stocker.

Can someone let me know the performance of that Hobbywing Quicrun 860 dual brushed esc ?  I just checked out the price, super deal !

860 will happily run dual standard silver cans on 3s or 4s. 

They can run down to fairly low turn motors @ 30k rpm in dual on 2s.

See the chart below. I have managed two Super Stock BZ (one modded to reverse timing) on 3s, albeit a low load test speed run. Happy on 2s all day long though and even then it's at the limits of the clod really. 

But as above @backtomyroots keep this one as a clod then buy a second to mod the chassis with. The charm and characteristics of a clod are too great to lose.

QuickRun_WP-860-dual.jpg

There's a caveat to some what you can run on this ESC that isn't noted on the hobbywing site, but is on the hobbywing direct site.

Note: WP-860-DUAL BRUSHED ESC has two outputs to drive 2 motors. When driving 2 motors simultaneously, the Turn of the motors needs to be increased.

So realistically on 2S which is what I'm using, this ESC can power up to 2x 24T motors.  Kind of a bummer because i have 2 HPI 15T firebolts that I wanted to try.

I'm still undecided if I'll pick up another clod for the mod-clod.  One of the reasons I chose the CPE timewarp chassis was so that I could still mount the stock body and mostly stock-like look to it.

If I were to go that route, i'd need another set of clod axles, clod tires, clod wheels (i would probably get the pro-line brawler), clod body.

Yer....about that er I ignored the disclaimer and have happily run as per my previous post. 

However, I currently run 3s with stock silver cans as it is at the limit of the clods abilities anyway.

I also still have a ripmax no limits ESC from the dark ages wired up for dual motors. I no longer use it but in its day ran down to dual 10T modified motors with no issue. 420amp continuous and 1410amp peak. Puts modern ESCs to shame. 

IMG_20161230_175319125-1336x752.jpg

If you go down the mod clod route bud, the only thing that will be left stock may be the gearbox cases like mine. Very addictive and expensive 😖

Well ill worth it though. 

Very nice clod love the color! I run that quickrun ESC and 2 twenty turn RC4WD crawler motors it's a great combo not to fast for the clod but gives it more speed for more enjoyable running...don't want it to fast or everything starts breaking.

2 hours ago, shenlonco said:

Very nice clod love the color! I run that quickrun ESC and 2 twenty turn RC4WD crawler motors it's a great combo not to fast for the clod but gives it more speed for more enjoyable running...don't want it to fast or everything starts breaking.

You're able to get away with 2x 20T on the 860?  Any heat issues etc?  I'd keep this Clod the way it is and save all my upgrades for another clod later if I can safely run something like the Traxxas 21T titans on this rig with the quicrun 860 on 2S Lipo.

3 hours ago, khyzersoze said:

You're able to get away with 2x 20T on the 860?  Any heat issues etc?  I'd keep this Clod the way it is and save all my upgrades for another clod later if I can safely run something like the Traxxas 21T titans on this rig with the quicrun 860 on 2S Lipo.

You can run two 21 turn motors with the stock kit ESC.  You can't run titan motors they are timed one motor will be much slower RPM when revered polarity and cause the esc to heat up.... you need 0 timed motors like the RC4WD 21 turn or the HPI firbolt 15 turn motors the 860 can run down to 12 turn motors. 

1 minute ago, shenlonco said:

You can run two 21 turn motors with the stock kit ESC.  You can't run titan motors they are timed one motor will be much slower RPM when revered polarity and cause the esc to heat up.... you need 0 timed motors like the RC4WD 21 turn or the HPI firbolt 15 turn motors the 860 can run down to 12 turn motors. 

The Titan 21T has a forward version and a reverse rotation version, and some guys on clodtalk run it, that's why I was asking... but they run it using a EVX-2 Traxxas ESC on 3S lipo.

If you see one of my posts above.... the disclaimer on the hobbywing North america site says you need to increase turns if running dual motor.

Most information I've seen around points to the HW 860 as 12T min on 2s Lipo if running 1 motor. and 24T on 2s Lipo if running 2 motors.

If I can run down to 12T in dual motor mode.... I'll do it!  I have 2 HPI firebolt 15T motors that were supposed to be run on this rig after all until I came across that information of 24T minimum in dual mode.

3 minutes ago, khyzersoze said:

The Titan 21T has a forward version and a reverse rotation version, and some guys on clodtalk run it, that's why I was asking... but they run it using a EVX-2 Traxxas ESC on 3S lipo.

If you see one of my posts above.... the disclaimer on the hobbywing North america site says you need to increase turns if running dual motor.

Most information I've seen around points to the HW 860 as 12T min on 2s Lipo if running 1 motor. and 24T on 2s Lipo if running 2 motors.

If I can run down to 12T in dual motor mode.... I'll do it!  I have 2 HPI firebolt 15T motors that were supposed to be run on this rig after all until I came across that information of 24T minimum in dual mode.

If your running 3S stick with the kit motors they run pretty fast and guy's say they last pretty long also.

I would not even bother with 21 turn on 3S.

3S 18 turn limit on quick run 860

If your running 3S stick with the kit motors they run pretty fast and guy's say they last pretty long also.

I would not even bother with 21 turn on 3S.

I don't have any 3s sticks and no plans to in the immediate future.  Just 2s.... anyway same confusion over whether you can go down to 12T or 24T when running the Quicrun 860 in dual motor mode.

4 minutes ago, khyzersoze said:

I don't have any 3s sticks and no plans to in the immediate future.  Just 2s.... anyway same confusion over whether you can go down to 12T or 24T when running the Quicrun 860 in dual motor mode.

it's basically two 1060 esc's in one you can run 2s down to 12 turn motors running 2 at once supposedly.

I would not go any lower than rc4WD 21 turn motors any faster clods start breaking apart all the time.

it's basically two 1060 esc's in one you can run 2s down to 12 turn motors running 2 at once supposedly.

I think that's where the uncertainty lies with conflicting information.

I've heard something different.  I've heard it's just a 1060 esc with wiring for dual motors.

2 minutes ago, khyzersoze said:

I think that's where the uncertainty lies with conflicting information.

I've heard something different.  I've heard it's just a 1060 esc with wiring for dual motors.

Well I am telling you from owning clods don't go any faster than 21 turn because they start breaking like crazy even break more just by using the 21 turn and going to 2S lipo over 6 cell Nimh packs.

2 minutes ago, shenlonco said:

Well I am telling you from owning clods don't go any faster than 21 turn because they start breaking like crazy even break more just by using the 21 turn and going to 2S lipo over 6 cell Nimh packs.

The 15T's were originally for my "mod clod" chassis.  That was my main interest in what the 860 could actually handle.  I don't plan to go too fast with it sitting stock as is.  Well aware that going fast in this truck causes destruction. :)  

In the case that I do get another clod down the road to use for my mod clod and keep this one stock... I would like to push a little past the stock 27T silver cans.  Since the 860 depending on how you interpret it can handle running 2x 24T.... running something roughly around that speed was what was planned if this one is kept stock.

1 minute ago, khyzersoze said:

The 15T's were originally for my "mod clod" chassis.  That was my main interest in what the 860 could actually handle.  I don't plan to go too fast with it sitting stock as is.  Well aware that going fast in this truck causes destruction. :)  

In the case that I do get another clod down the road to use for my mod clod and keep this one stock... I would like to push a little past the stock 27T silver cans.  Since the 860 depending on how you interpret it can handle running 2x 24T.... running something roughly around that speed was what was planned if this one is kept stock.

I ran two 20 turn motors on the stock clod kit esc no problems on NIMH 6 cell probably can use 2S lipo but I never tried it,, with my 860 I run two 21 turn motors on 2s lipo no problem at all.

On 03/01/2017 at 8:57 PM, shenlonco said:

Hi Shenlonco. I've just purchased a clod kit to build. Which bits do you find break? I'm not looking to change the chassis as it looks ££££ for a CPE chassis. 

Do that Clod a favor and save it.  Buy a set of axles and proper Proline wheels and tires for your Mod Clod.  Parma also makes a lexan Clod body if you want to keep the Clod look and bash it up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, backtomyroots said:

Do that Clod a favor and save it.  Buy a set of axles and proper Proline wheels and tires for your Mod Clod.  Parma also makes a lexan Clod body if you want to keep the Clod look and bash it up.

See the point re axles (metal ones I've seen are a small fortune each).

whats wrong with the stock wheels though?