996TT

959 and Celica GR B 3D print F+R control arms, hubs

So after being tired of my 959 just falling apart while on display, I finally got around to giving my brother-in-law the original parts to reproduce on his 3d printer. So far he's drawn up rear lower control arms, rear hubs, front hubs, and he's currently working on front upper and lower control arms. 

We decided that the prototype parts should be in a bright colour so that we could see them better and find ways to improve the design. The arms you see in the images are copies of the original, and are made of ABS plastic, but we will be finding ways to beef them up ever so slightly in the efforts to keep them looking as close to the originals as possible and at the same time strengthening them.  We will also be toying with different materials such as nylon and resin to see which works best. So far the geometry is great and they work exactly the same as the originals.

I will post images of the other parts as I have time to install them.

enjoy, and thanks for looking

IMG-20161230-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20161230-WA0004.jpeg

20170107_205603.jpg

20170107_205541.jpg

20170107_205525.jpg

• Like 8

Will most likely end up making black ones once we're satisfied with the final product , but I'm not against making them in various colours. 

Will most likely end up making black ones once we're satisfied with the final product , but I'm not against making them in various colours. 

20170107_205504.jpg

• Like 1

I added a few more pics of the modified  front control arms and modified rear hubs.

Nice work.
If possible, and if you haven't done so already, I'd add small radiuses (radii?) in the corners where necessary. This will strengthen the pieces and remove places where vibration and stress can cause fractures to occur.

Most of the bits were modified for strength.  The rear control arms were modified again at a few points especially at the rear lower shock mount. 

19 hours ago, sparkysx said:

any updates on this...a year down the line.

Hi... what sort of info would you like? LMK :)

6 hours ago, grimlock said:

Are these available for sale?

never thought of really selling them, but if I did black is also available. LMK if you have any more questions.

2 hours ago, sparkysx said:

same question as above

On 1/18/2018 at 10:29 AM, grimlock said:

Are these available for sale?

On 1/17/2018 at 12:29 PM, sparkysx said:

any updates on this...a year down the line.

as mentioned above, I never really thought about selling them, but I'm sure my brother-in-law who whips them up for me would be up to the task. Which colors and which parts are of interest?

he also recently made me up a black set, but for some reason I like the brighter colors lol. I can snap some pics if need be. 

It's my brother in laws work,  I'll have to ask him. 

The aluminium parts look great. But I think they will put too much stress to other parts or joints.
So I would prefer to print them.