TwistedxSlayer

Motor for TB01 rally car.

Hey all.

This is a really simple one.

TB01 rally car, currently running a sports tuned motor with GPM alloy motor mount, prop shaft and steel gears.

Looking for a new motor, NOT going brushless, so looking for a reccomendation for a brushed motor.

ESC is a hobbywing 1060.

im thinking either the HPI firebolt 15t or a Tamiya motor of some description, it used to run an 11x2 Team Orion motor, but it died a while ago. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

When I bought mine new years ago I got a Tamiya RZ and a No Limits esc. Was pretty good from memory, now I run it with brushless.

I also got the alloy prop shaft and front uni's though I had to go back to the original prop shaft recently as it has splines and the alloy shaft just had a flat landing on the shaft and this was spinning in bevel gear.

The GPM alloy shaft has splines to fit the steel gears, I had the problem with the Tamiya alloy shaft.

Did consider the front uni's. Are they worth it?

Are you using your TB as a rally car, or just on tarmac?

If it's just tarmac you can fit very tall gearing. I run a 6.5 FDR on my TB01 track car. I use a Carson Cup Machine in it, which is like a silver can but with an internal cooling fan.

Because I am relying on torque and tall gearing with a relatively tame motor, I don't really get the problem with the plastic propshaft-pinions stripping out.

I'm using the carbon shaft and all plastic gears with an .04 mod 88t spur and a 35t pinion. It goes rather well.

Are you in the UK? Modelsport are still selling the Orion method modified motors. 

In my experience the HPI firebolts don't perform like you would expect from the turn rating. 

Yeah I'm near Manchester, its mainly used on loose gravel and tarmac.

reminds me, I need to order a steel pinion for it. 

To memory its running 18t with 55 spur, but it's been a while since I had it stripped.

That's an FDR of 7.94. Probably about right for gravel and a silver can. You could probably use a Tamiya Superstock with that gearing, as they're pretty torquey. But go lower

than 23 turns and you're going to need to change the gearing or you'll burn out the motors pretty quick. They don't get much cooling in a TB-01.

For an 11x2t motor you'll probably need an FDR closer to 12. Perhaps more.

That's a good idea.

I checked my kit box out after first commenting here and noticed it came with a 3 step mech speed controller. This thing must be older than I think.

This is my favourite car, no slippery crutches or ball diff's to worry about. Just run it.