Sign in to follow this  
Driveforfun

Amateur Body Painting - Made Lemonade.....

So i picked up a HPI Mazda RX7 body on sale at the local hobby shop. Grabbed a can of deep yellow paint to recreate the RX-7 in my mind from the original Need For Speed PC game back in the 90's. So i cut out the body, spray a little paint to make sure it comes out yellow, and go at it.

next thing you know, I realize it's actually the transparent yellow paint, with the wrong cap (I saw the right cap at the store, so certain it's mislabeled). So being the impatient mad scientist that I am, I decide to see how it looks in conjuction with the green i used on the BRZ body. Not good, so i back it up with some black...ok, now we're getting somewhere with a marble like effect. Then i frost the edges with black on the outer shell (it'll chip, but oh well), add some stickers to cover up some of the more unsightly areas...i'll be darned if it didn't turn out halfway decent.....

Make no mistake, this is the result of poor practices and impatience, the enemies of good paint, but still wanted to share a unique paint job....it's very crude in places, but overall I like the look (none of my cars are shelf queens) IMAG1634.jpg 

IMAG1633.jpg

IMAG1632.jpg

IMAG1637.jpg

In other news, just got this thing driving straight again after weeks of trying different repairs - she's back!

Gratuitous gut shot..... (for the record, that Deans connector is fully heat shrinked, I just use the tape as a secondary device to relieve stress from the solder joints if the wires get tugged - i'm not a total heathen!)

IMAG1638.jpg

• Like 3

Happy accidents can produce really good effects some times.

This is one of those times.

Interesting shade of color.  This piece of advice won't help you now but I like to use the trimmings when trying out color combos. This is clear red back with gold

7AFD704E-481C-425D-A443-CF6721AC0E6E_zps

• Like 2

It's amazing what can be resurrected from a bad paint job :D