waterbok

Wtd: MIP Marui Big Bear differential and other hopups info

As per title looking for information on options, hopups and tuning info for the Marui Big Bear. MIP or whoever else.

Tried google Found some intel but there is little that got documented.

Fotos, Build Info, old instructions highly welcome.

Got a v1 myself with mint original gearbox interested if I can still make a runner out of it for a decent price with alternativ parts.

thx

those bits I has sent you earlier was all I could find including any hop-ups etc. I don't think Marui released any hop-ups and anything else I found was a custom built. I think there is a couple of entries on Tamiya Clubs site where someone upgraded the front suspension, which seems worthwhile.

I'm going to make a runner myself and for the gearbox all I am doing at adding in bearings which I bought off eBay. I'll need to check the sizing I got.

I'm also making a custom chassis because my runner is missing one and it also presents an opportunity. I've made a test one out of plastic and its almost ready. When I'm happy I'll machine it out of aluminium, just need to refine the front suspension area and I'm trying to keep as much original parts as possible.

marui_big_bear_chassis_1a.jpg

marui_big_bear_chassis_2a.jpg

• Like 1

Yes your manuals and all were a great help thanks again.

If anybody got some intel on the MIP differential for the Marui, photos, manual, anything would be very welcome.

2 hours ago, Macinnis said:

@waterbok I am still scouring the web for info on making my Big Bear a daily driver and I came across this page.  It has detailed instructions on the MIP replacement differential, but I can not find current parts for sale anywhere. 

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/marui-big-bear-super-ball-diff-mip-116932046

marui-big-bear-super-ball-diff-mip_1.jpg

excellent find! do you know if these parts are related?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marui-Big-Bear-Ball-Diff-Hardware-by-MIP-BD2-/360720804038

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marui-Big-Bear-Ball-Diff-Adaptor-MIP-BD8-/360701464083?hash=item53fb7b8e13

I found MIP Performance's contact page and asked if they still had a parts list

I send them a mail to ask if they can do a rerun of the ball diff and maybe the idler gear. Hope it doesn't take 250 pcs like the Blackfoot project. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, waterbok said:

I send them a mail to ask if they can do a rerun of the ball diff and maybe the idler gear. Hope it doesn't take 250 pcs like the Blackfoot project. 

Let me know what they say. I'm interested as well. 

7 hours ago, waterbok said:

good I idea. I got a reply when asking about old parts lists, but the person seemed to think I was asking if they made any now. So have asked if they can re-run the ball diffs again! But demand may not be high enough.

20 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

excellent find! do you know if these parts are related?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marui-Big-Bear-Ball-Diff-Hardware-by-MIP-BD2-/360720804038

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marui-Big-Bear-Ball-Diff-Adaptor-MIP-BD8-/360701464083?hash=item53fb7b8e13

I found MIP Performance's contact page and asked if they still had a parts list

It looks like those are the stock numbers for the individual pieces and the main differential seems to be the hard one to find. 

BD6 is a bushing?

BD3 or BD5 looks to be the main gear 

BD8 is the adapter from the marui axel to the new gear

the other item appears to be allen wrenches and set screws to bolt the thing together  

Thats just what I gather from the photo  

IMG_1857.PNG

On 26/01/2017 at 3:03 AM, waterbok said:

Although I don't think there would be enough call for it, that would be great, especially since they already have done the design before, just make it again.

Another hopeful, would be to ask RA1028 to make some big bear tyres as well... now that would be awesome...

Mmm they need at least 250 pcs  for 45-65$ depending on how much re engineering. That might be a tough cookie. :unsure:

On 26/01/2017 at 7:26 AM, Macinnis said:

Let me know what they say. I'm interested as well. 

I got a reply back from them:

Hello Johann,

Thank you for contacting MIP with this message. We unfortunately, wouldn’t be able to run the parts again.

Thank you,

Dalton Bechard

Support@miponline.com 
MOORE’S IDEAL PRODUCTS, LLC

28 minutes ago, berman said:

Because....

???

given that they didn't even answer my original question about the ball diff parts numbers, I can imagine they are going to tell me why, maybe their computer said NO

I am thinkering with a Mchassis ball diff that might work but might be to fast with only 39T

Has mod .8 so needs a new Idler too, but thats similar to the 48 pitch upgrade I believe.

23 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

given that they didn't even answer my original question about the ball diff parts numbers, I can imagine they are going to tell me why, maybe their computer said NO

Yeah unless it was rereleased I can't see them wanting to. I would have been happy to pay a fair bit more just because they probably won't get the numbers, and surely they still have the drawings/dimensions to run them again (without a big design loss)... pretty much everyone with a big bear would want one...

4 hours ago, berman said:

Yeah unless it was rereleased I can't see them wanting to. I would have been happy to pay a fair bit more just because they probably won't get the numbers, and surely they still have the drawings/dimensions to run them again (without a big design loss)... pretty much everyone with a big bear would want one...

unfortunately I doubt they've kept anything from the early days. Mid 80s too, so maybe they kept some tooling, but the drawings where probably paper based.

If we want one, we are going to have to make our own.