Sign in to follow this  
njmlondon

Kyosho tires on a SRB

I wonder if somebody can help with some mix n' match stuff I am doing right now.

I have been working on some SRB hybrids (Superchamp front ends and chassis combined with Scorcher rear ends all mixed in with some RC Channel parts) and I rather fancy using some of the Goodyear Kyosho tires on one of my builds.

I have never owned or built a Kyosho before but will be biting the bullet and splurging on a Scorpion Turbo when they are released later this year. 

In the meantime I wanted to get my head around the possibility of using parts from one on another.

From what I see, it is very hard to use Kyosho wheels on SRB front or rear ends (although some people seem to have managed the other way around).

Therefore I wanted to know if you can use Kyosho tires on any wheels that can fit on the SRB? Any thoughts much appreciated.

I've never tried but I think the rear scorpion tires would fit SRB rear wheels.  I don't think rear scorpion rims would fit SRB axles as they is now way to engage the SRB drive hub. Front scorpion tires are a different size that sand scorcher front. Would have to compare them to rough rider wheels.  The scorpion front wheels may work with some 5x8 bearings

everyone used Tamiya wheels and manufactures made adapters because Tamiya wheels and tires were very plentiful back then

Shodog is correct in that the rear Scorpion tires should work on the rear SRB wheels. For the front, check with James Knight (Toykid on here, and Knight Customs on Shapeways and elsewhere). James, I think, put Kyosho Scorpion/Tomahawk front wheels on one of his Sand Scorcher builds. I'm just not sure how he did it. It might be demonstrated in his showroom.

Steve

Thanks for the input.

Scorcher wheels are 1.5 front and back whilst FAv/Buggy ones are 1.7 I believe.

Looking at the Scorpion, if the rears do fit on a 1.5 then the fronts should not be too far off. 

If it works it should be relatively easy to get matching hubcaps for both types. 

I will drop James a line. I have some of his lovely VW hubs for 1.7 wheels and I need to see if he also does them for the Scorcher sized 1.5's. If I could combine his hubs with the tires then I think it would all look rather cool. I will also see how he got Kyosho wheels onto the front of an SRB. There are a few aftermarket SRB hubs that would compliment Kyosho wheels if all I need to sort out is the 1150 bearings.

Quick update. Over on scale4x4 I found a thread where it was stated that:

Any tire with a 1.6 in. (40mm) bead for the rear and any tire with a 1.9 in. (50mm) bead for the front will fit a Scorpion wheel. 

Given the Scorcher is 1.5 and the RR/FAV is 1.7 I think it would be better to stretch the rears to fit a FAV and then work out a way of fitting Kyosho wheels to the front.

Will report back when I have done a bit of playing around.

• Like 1

Definitely go for the harder end of the tyre range in the Sand Super blocks for the rear - good that they can be bought in different hardnesses.  If you can find them anywhere, get a set of SCW023 foam inserts which will support the soft sidewalls really well with that extra weight.  If you do find those inserts, please post a source!