JennyMo

Desmond (the 2.2) - narrowed HiLux cage crawler

cont.

So of course it was time to break out the Dremel and the Isopon P38 one more time, and see if we could sculpt something more suited to a rough rock-crawler driver:

i-tvxRTnk-XL.jpg

photo. a chinless wonder.

i-JjnjMVx-XL.jpg

photo. pasty face.

i-XW7BDJ8-XL.jpg

photo. a close shave.

i-GtVxB3t-XL.jpg

photo. stone faced.

i-bqDwFs5-XL.jpg

photo. Smokin'

More soon!

Jenny x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right, time to fit the little guy inside...

i-VD3CQ6P-XL.jpg

photo. fortunately his arm and hand lined up much the same as before - with only a little filler required around his right shoulder (and to also replace his missing thumb).

i-CTbwvnx-XL.jpg

photo. Yeah Racing seat-belt.

Because of the slightly different location of the full-foot Willy inside, I needed to extend the steering column - and used a length of aluminium tube for additional strength, as this is the primary support for the driver (together with his right hand on the cage of course):

i-NKtfxdr-XL.jpg

photo. I also modified a Wild Willy gear lever as a dash-mounted shifter.

i-7nnGzGk-XL.jpg

photo. belted in place...

Fortunately I had a selection of brackets and parts that proved suitable for securely anchoring the seat-belts - the floor mounts are metal L brackets (that were originally body mounts from the original Mad-Gear donor vehicle) while the mount on the cage was created using a plastic Servo spacer, cut, sanded and glued into the V of the cage as if it was a welded bracket. The belts themselves are secured using 2mm hardware.

i-QkgxW24-XL.jpg

photo. boots help to hold battery in place.

i-R9qfgWB-XL.jpg

photo. Cabin accessories reinstated - Green Trail Ale keg, milk-crate with rags and oil, plus a packet of Camels ;o)

And finally a for now...

i-xtQkPHF-XL.jpg

photo. rear fuel cell created from oil drum, and central recovery shackle.

Fingers crossed for a sunny weekend now!

Jenny x

• Like 3

Wow. I am only just starting out with the styrene creations and modifications but it is threads like this that are a real inspiration.Thank you for taking the time to photograph all updates. It really is appreciated.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 10:03 AM, Scouser said:

Wow. I am only just starting out with the styrene creations and modifications but it is threads like this that are a real inspiration.Thank you for taking the time to photograph all updates. It really is appreciated.

Thank you Scouser - I'm glad to be of help and inspiration!

For info. I find the best thing to do after taking a few initial measurements, is to mock up what you want in cardboard (old cereal packets work well) and some masking or sticky tape, then if it all goes together the way you envisaged, use those as templates for cutting your styrene sheet.

Fortunately with this build [Desmond] most of the panels were flat, so they're easy to cut and glue together (again, masking tape works well to hold stuff while your super-glue or poly-cement dries).

Adding an extra thickness and/or a brace piece of styrene underneath/out of sight can also help to boost rigidity of course.

Have fun!

Jenny x

• Like 1

Turns out they'll put any old crap on the road in Utah ;o)

i-zBTmTG2-XL.jpg

Jx

• Like 4