Sign in to follow this  
Chilihook

Well rested TEU-101bk issues

Hi everyone - I went to bring a car off the shelf after it had sat for several years. It has been stored well, no battery in the car or in the transmitter. When the car was put away, the car operated fine. The motor is a standard silver can, the radio set up is a kyosho Perfex. 

So, when it was first built and run, everything worked fine, has since sat for several years in good storage. Today, connected a charged six cell nicad battery and the TEU beeps and flashes. Transmitter has fresh batteries. Motor twitches a little, no response from the steering. Nothing changed from when it was last run to today when I tried to get the car going. What could have caused this, if all things are equal? Is there anyway to factory reset the TEU? Any and all help is appreciated!

Probably lost its settings by now - if you look on the TamiyaUSA website I think the user manual is on there in case you don't have it.

What sort of beeping? A steady beep-beep-beep-beep means that it's powered on but isn't receiving any signal. An intermittent beep-beep.....beep-beep... means that it's in overheat protection mode. The twitching of the motor is normal, that's how it makes its sound, by sending small amounts of current to the motor.

I've got the manual for ya:

teu101bk.jpg

• Like 1

Is it a tx/rx with cristals? Maybe something is broken or not making contact due to corrosion. Hence no working receiver and beeps.

Thanks for the responses! It is a steady beep beep beep beep with corresponding light. Can't imagine what would cause corrosion but who knows? The transmitter is a kyosho perfex kt-3hs, 27 MHz. Not sure about crystals... I think this radio uses them?

image.jpg

Try all the plugs that go into receiver, wiggle or move them up and down on the contact pins. If it beeps but no steering it's either the receiver not getting power from the ESC (you could try find out if there is power on the red plug) or faulty cristals.

If you can get hold of a batterybox or a nicad rx pack, try and see if the Rx will power up with the ESC disconnected ...also just pull the plugs out and reconnect a few times...27 meg gear is pretty bulletproof, and you have done all the right things with the batts out of the Tx and car...

Is there a power light on the Tx?

I had a problem with one of my Tx a few months back, it turned out to be one of the servo reverse switches was midway between the 2 positions...might be worth a check!

and yes your gear has crystals, we can see them in the pic...

It's definitely the fact that the ESC isn't getting any signal from the receiver. This is either because the transmitter isn't powering on, or the receiver isn't getting any power from the ESC.

As per the guy above me, wiggle everything and see if you can find a battery box, and plug that into the batt-port on the receiver.

No signal from the receiver was the key. I went through each connection to the rx, made sure they were clean, put in snugly, and that they were where they needed to be. They were all good. Took the crystal out of the tx and put into another tx I had and it controlled the car fine. i went through the tx battery compartment to see if everything was making good contact and there was a little bit of crud in there. Didn't look like the usual gray of corrosion, not sure what it was. Anyway, I got an old toothbrush and put some dielectric grease on it - tiny amount - and scrubbed all the springs and contact points really well. Put in brand new batteries for a little extra oomph and voila, works perfectly!

Thanks for all the help everyone!