MJC68

Advice sought on rediscovered vintage Rough Rider

Hi all, I've recently rediscovered my vintage Rough Rider / Sandscorcher buggy and am not sure what I should do with it as I approach 50! Have fond memories of running and fettling it when I was a kid though. See pics attached. Anyone have any idea what it might be worth?

ThanksIMG_3014.jpgIMG_3021.jpgIMG_3032.jpg
  • Like 3

eBay your best indication of value but with two bodies and being original, probably £100-135 on eBay 

Kids? Grand kids? 

Looks nice and well looked after. Keep it as a hobby and let it breed as you reach retirement age :-p

Worthless I'm afraid

Give it to me.........I'll look after it

(cackles and rubs hands together).

Keep it, give it a bit of a refurb where needed and run it occasionally. It's quite a nice feeling bringing something back to working order.

have you still got the charger??

Wouldnt you like another drive???

Worth………..I know i'd pay a pretty penny to be behind the controls of my childhood RR.

Look it over carefully, those dents and scrathes are priceless.

It's a mk1 chassis in very good shape with two original bodies. Do you still have the original side mirror to the sandscorcher body? The mirror and door handles are $$ alone

You should keep it, you'll regret it later if you sell a childhood toy

• Like 4

I think the side mirrors got broken off and lost - they were rather prone as I recall. Thanks for the advice and comments everyone. Definitely some food for thought!

Some of us either stupidly/regretfully/unknowing sold our first/second/third childhood rc toys and can never get them back. Everyone has memories... you have a physical trophy of good times and who you were.

To put it into another perspective...

When my Dad died I had plenty of photos to remind me of times together and I wish I had've kept something I could hold that reminds me of him.

I would have liked his Norton 750 Commando personally, the bike he named me after.

What has your family got to remind them of you?

I believe my missus is going to keep one of my RC's to remind her and my kids should I kick the bucket any time soon

• Like 2

I agree completely Berman. In fact I don't think I could ever part with my first car - a vintage XR311, which my dad gave to me as a birthday present when I was a child in the 70's. At that time he worked for himself and didn't have much money. He picked up the car second hand, in not brilliant condition and painstakingly rebuilt it and did an awesome job with the body, painting on fake mud, reinforcing it with roll bars to the point that I still think it looks better than the original!

Great memories indeed!

(I've tried to post some pictures of it but I keep getting an error message?)

• Like 1

Keep it. 

Scenario 1: You sell it and get, lets be generous, £160 for it. Take out your ebay fees etc and you are down to what, £140ish? You go into town with your windfall and spend it thus:

parking: £5

petrol: £15

lunch (for 2:) £25 

Bluray: £15

new shirt for work: £35

new dress for your wife when she found out how much you sold your old toy for: £80

....so you are down £35 already. Nothing you have just bought above has any real value, does it?

Scenario 2: 

Keep it.

Spend £30 on a few little bits to tidy it up (get it all delivered via click and collect so your wife doesn't find out....:rolleyes:) and enjoy a few very happy weekends and evenings tinkering and rekindling childhood memories and end with something that not only has increased in value (and probably will continue to do so) but also has way more emotional value and benefit to you that you could share with others. And you are £5 up on scenario 1!!!

Scenario 3: 

Give it to me and I'll look after it ;)

• Like 1

As an addendum to my post above - I am of course assuming you don't need to sell it to pay the mortgage etc. If so, I commiserate deeply and wish you all the best.

Also, putting that aside, looking at the pictures - you evidently took a great deal of care and cherished it at some point - it looks in excellent condition and has been painted to a good standard and not abused at all. That all suggests to me it brought a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction at some time, which strengthens all the other comments that you may well regret it if you sell it - things like that can't be replaced.

• Like 3

They both look great !! - the chassis is superb and RR shell is retro awesomeness - love it -  it is now a family heirloom - official - please don't sell

In all seriousness, despite my rather flippant post from earlier.

Keep it. You can get it running again with only a little work, run it every now and then and  leave it on display when not.
It's a good example of RC cars in it's time and a nice childhood memory to have sitting around.

Keep it. Those of us of similar age can all guarantee you will regret it if you sell it. 

Have fond memories of running and fettling it when I was a kid though.

You can now re-live that ;). I think that's probably what most of us are doing...

Keep it mate and take it out for a spin, then put in box and do it again when you want to. Don't sell  keep it and remember what joy it brought you as you look at it and drive it.

wild

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-Rough-Rider-Buggy-1979-SandScorcher-Body-Radio-Both-Boxed-Rare-/192267964818?hash=item2cc4105192:g:-zMAAOSwz71ZW9L9

Nice story from this seller, but I'm sure Matthew the original owner was from Surrey.  He offered it to me for a very reasonable price (more than half the above), I declined and said it would be better going to a collector as it was so original....maybe I should have bought it :) 

On 8/5/2017 at 11:28 PM, Phil_H said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tamiya-Rough-Rider-Buggy-1979-SandScorcher-Body-Radio-Both-Boxed-Rare-/192267964818?hash=item2cc4105192:g:-zMAAOSwz71ZW9L9

Nice story from this seller, but I'm sure Matthew the original owner was from Surrey.  He offered it to me for a very reasonable price (more than half the above), I declined and said it would be better going to a collector as it was so original....maybe I should have bought it :) 

I would have never given up that thing, that must have been really loved to be in that good condition after so long.

Thats why I didn't take it off him, It would have had no sentimental value for me, and it deserved to be put on a shelf on display.

Shame it's ended up on ebay for more than double