vrs55

1.4 or 1.8 civic

Hello looking for some advice do any of you guys own a petrol civic I currently have a soda fabia vrs mk1 which I have owned for the past 9 years it's 12 years old so no dpf filter on it I only do 3600 miles per year so with modern diesels having dpf filters I will probably run in to problems with one so I am looking at going back to petrol thinking of getting a civic 2012/2013 model but unsure to go for the 1.4 or 1.8 there doesn't seem all that much difference in mpg on paper also the 1.4 takes about 13.5 to get to 60 so wondering if might be underpowered

I dont own a civic but, You'll notice a big difference going to a petrol.

I love a diesel as a daily as the torque (torque is the power, BHP is a work done equation) is low down, sub 3000 rpm and buckets of it, meaning you are generally right in the power most of the time you are driving.

Had a quick look on Google, 

Fabia VRS 1.9 = 229 ft/lb @ 2300rpm

Civic 1.4 = 89 ft/lb @ 4500rpm 

Civic 1.8 = 128ft/lb @ 4300rpm 

Even the Civic type R only has 145 ft/lb @5900 and are only quick because they rev to high heaven, ( peak hp @ 7400!)  

You could have a look through the autotrader,go to a garage and take some for a test drive?

Personally, I'd go for another diesel, and just take it for a 4th gear 'motorway speed' run every now and then.

If you only do low miles & short journeys then best to avoid a diesel if it has a DPF - not sure if all diesels have these but short journeys can cause early failure and they are expensive to replace.

Check out the difference in insurance groupings between the 1.4 & 1.8 and also emissions bandings for annual VED costs.

Check costs of basic replacement items such as tyres - wide low profile tyres on big diameter rims can be painful on the wallet when they wear out - fair chance the 1.8 will come with nicer looking wheels with more expensive tyres.  

On 12/01/2017 at 7:56 AM, vrs55 said:

I only do 3600 miles per year so with modern diesels having dpf filters I will probably run in to problems with one so I am looking at going back to petrol thinking of getting a civic 2012/2013 model 

That's really, really low miles mate, buy an older civic type r and spend the money saved on fuel! :P

• Like 2

Thinking about your annual mileage and for the kind of money you are looking at paying for a 2012/3 Civic, either 1.4 or 1.8, you might want to think about investing in an everyday useable classic that will hold its value - possibly increase in value - why not look at something like a Porsche 944 ?

They are very well built and currently offer exceptional value for money and actually are not too bad on the petrol, probably get classic insurance too.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2017 at 3:21 PM, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Thinking about your annual mileage and for the kind of money you are looking at paying for a 2012/3 Civic, either 1.4 or 1.8, you might want to think about investing in an everyday useable classic that will hold its value - possibly increase in value - why not look at something like a Porsche 944 ?

They are very well built and currently offer exceptional value for money and actually are not too bad on the petrol, probably get classic insurance too.

944 will be a bit of a money pit though, although us TC members are used to that :lol: