Sign in to follow this  
richb77

Tags spray hardbody...how to?!

I sound like a TOTAL noob here.

I've been spraying hard bodies and static model kits for years with Halfords acrylic spray paints.

However, for my bruiser build I want to use Tamiya colours. I've used the PS spray recently quite a bit but the TS is new.

Can I spray it over halfords White plastic primer? Does it need a primer?

Thanks chaps.

I've mixed Halfords and Tamiya paints before with no problems so far. Certainly the X and XF paints have the same, or similar,  acrylic base, and I applied those together with confidence.

The Tamiya TS range are laquer-based, but I believe so is the Halfords clear laquer that is designed to go on top of their acrylics.

So you can see that the Tamiya system and the Halfords system are much the same. The primers too.

The only significant difference is the speed at which the paint comes out of the can. The Tamiya paint can be applied in far thinner coats that are less likely to hide any detail as a result.

But also there is less thickness to work with if you have to do any repairs or wish to flat the surface with wet abrasive paper. However usually a wipe with a soft cloth is enough to remove

any spray that has dried before hitting the surface.

So for this reason it's best to use the Tamiya fine surface primer with the Tamiya paints. It's great stuff really, it leaves a porcelain-like surface that feels really smooth to the touch without any flatting required.

There is however a quite significant price difference that gets exponentially worse the bigger the model and the more colours.

EDIT: Just to add one word of caution. As you probably are aware, when spraying one laquer paint on top of another, it is possible to effectively melt the underlying layer of

paint if the coat on top is applied too quickly and thickly. So with the speed at which the Halfords clear laquer sprays, it is all too easy to apply enough to

melt your Tamiya colour coat underneath. You might get away with it if it's just a single colour, but more than that you can expect problems if you aren't extremely careful.

• Like 1