Carrera124

Difference between F103 and F104 chassis?

Please, can someone explain what is the difference between F103 and F104 chassis?
Can parts be exchanged between them, or more important: can bodies be exchanged, similar to touring car bodies that fit both TT-01 and TT-02 chassis?

The F104 is a longer and narrower chassis than the F103, by virtue of having a longitudinally-mounted battery instead of the lateral one on the F103. Suspension designs are different, although some F104 gearbox components can be usable on the F103, if I recall. Otherwise, you are dealing with two rather-different cars, dimension-wise. Key differences include rear axle spacing; chassis plates; and front suspension arms.

Shells might be interchangeable, but will require modification and (in my opinion) are generally not worth fitting to the unintended chassis - I am thinking of the online sellers that claim their bodies fit both. Le Mans racers based on the F103 (GT-One, 911 GT1 LM, and R8R) will definitely not fit the F104.

A quick Google search indicated the F104's wheelbase and width at 270 mm and 180 mm, respectively; compare to the F103, whose equivalent dimensions are 260 mm and 195 mm.

The F104W, however, uses the F103's front suspension to gain a wider front track - this was done to create a chassis that better-emulated classic F1 releases like the JPS Lotus and Wolf WR1.

• Like 1

Thanks. The reason why I am asking, is that I got the rare Brabham re-release body 84103. It comes with a manual that describes how to modify it if you want to put it onto a F103 chassis.

But I wondered if it is ossible to mount it on a F104W, to get closer to F104W classics Wolf WR1 and Lotus 79.

Possibly, but remember that the Ferrari 312T3 of that era was re-released on the F103. As such, unless there were differences in the Brabham and Ferrari chassis (not like I know - I have never even been within a hundred-kilometre radius of one), it is likely more suitable for the F103 on wheelbase.

• Like 1

I don't have both models to hand to check, but I was told when looking for a shell for my F103 that a F103 shell will fit a F104, but a F104 shell won't necessarily fit a F103 as the former is significantly narrower due to the battery orientation as noted above. Wings are fully interchangeable between the two models though, and being open wheeled racers, there are no wheel arch alignment issues to highlight the slight wheelbase differences.

• Like 1

Thank you, I think I will go for a F104W chassis. I just saw that some older F101 models with 260mm wheelbase were re-released with F104W chassis and 270mm wheelbase, e.g. the Lotus-Judd.

Goes to show how much I know! Admittedly, a 10 mm-difference at 260 mm should make less of a difference than I thought it would... Looking forward to seeing it!

As a new owner of a F104W I'm interested to buy a runner Bodyshell to preserve my soon to be built Wolf WR1 shell. Am I right to think any Bodyshell listed for the F104 or F103 will fit my F104W?

Pretty much, yes. F103 shells ought to fit without a problem. F104 shells might need some creative trimming around the front suspension since the F104W uses F103 front arms that are quite different in design to the normal F104 ones. Otherwise all should be well.

• Like 1

Just now, TurnipJF said:

Pretty much, yes. F103 shells ought to fit without a problem. F104 shells might need some creative trimming around the front suspension since the F104W uses F103 front arms that are quite different in design to the normal F104 ones. Otherwise all should be well.

Cool cheers pal, I'm off to google some F103 arms against F104 front arms.

Any one got any painted Tamiya driver head figures they want to sell? I don't have time to paint and need a couple of them.