Macinnis

Restoring my old Big Bear

11 hours ago, waterbok said:

2 cog pinion diff is the first version also came with the black motor.

The improved three gear diff came with a silver motor.

ahh ok - so I have the complete original then do I?  I guess for nostalgia purposes thats better, but for running purposes not so good right? lol

I also have the 'half smashed' bumper lol...those things are SO expensive to replace, I wont be bothering with that I just can't afford to lol..

10 hours ago, waterbok said:

I believe the pinion is a 48dp 16T

IMG_1014.thumb.JPG.5ad1a8af6c7da05fc835907d0694fcac.JPG

thank you :-)

2 hours ago, Malakite said:

wow that would be wonderful sir - yes please do let me know :-)

ok, I happened to have one spare. A little rusty, but should do the job, these are pics of both sides. PM me if you want them.

Marui-Gearbox-Gasket-1.jpg

Marui-Gearbox-Gasket-2.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, waterbok said:

I believe the pinion is a 48dp 16T

IMG_1014.thumb.JPG.5ad1a8af6c7da05fc835907d0694fcac.JPG

A 48dp pinion will work but it squeals. Get a 16 tooth .06 mod for best fit. 

On 8/10/2018 at 4:42 AM, Malakite said:

ahh ok - so I have the complete original then do I?  I guess for nostalgia purposes thats better, but for running purposes not so good right? lol

I also have the 'half smashed' bumper lol...those things are SO expensive to replace, I wont be bothering with that I just can't afford to lol..

Check out thingverse for the file to 3D print a bumper. If you do not have access to a 3D printer, shapeways does a good job for reasonable price. Cheaper than auction sites anyway. 

15 hours ago, Macinnis said:

A 48dp pinion will work but it squeals. Get a 16 tooth .06 mod for best fit. 

any link to this at all?

15 hours ago, Macinnis said:

Check out thingverse for the file to 3D print a bumper. If you do not have access to a 3D printer, shapeways does a good job for reasonable price. Cheaper than auction sites anyway. 

ok so I have understand this lol..can you point me in the right direction please??..  Thank you 

2 hours ago, Malakite said:

OK so here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1079909

Then what I download files and find someone with a 3D printer?

yep, this is that file on my 3D printer. I had to print with a lot of support though, and be careful. I could send you one when I send you that gasket, but you'd be up for about $25AUD in postage. At least with the gasket, I can put it in a letter and its only a few dollars. 

When you print it, it'll require a bit of sanding if done on a cheap 3D printer. If you can do it through shape ways or similar it should be a lot smoother.

Marui-Bullbar-3D-print-1.jpg

6 hours ago, Malakite said:

any link to this at all?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson-racing-mod-0.6-metric-pinion-gear-16t-rrp1116/p454462?v=77976

That pinion will fit perfect. Shapeways will make the bumper and sand it for much cheaper. You just download the file and send it to them.  They will quote it and send you an invoice if you want to order.  Once I received mine, I did have to sand the pegs a bit to get them to fit into the springs.  I made it worth the shipping and had them print the KC Lights and body mount as well. 

On 8/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, yogi-bear said:

yep, this is that file on my 3D printer. I had to print with a lot of support though, and be careful. I could send you one when I send you that gasket, but you'd be up for about $25AUD in postage. At least with the gasket, I can put it in a letter and its only a few dollars. 

When you print it, it'll require a bit of sanding if done on a cheap 3D printer. If you can do it through shape ways or similar it should be a lot smoother.

Marui-Bullbar-3D-print-1.jpg

Hi mate - OK sure - so the total cost would be $25 you mean?  for the two?  Do you have your own 3D printer, or use someone else?

On 8/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, Macinnis said:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson-racing-mod-0.6-metric-pinion-gear-16t-rrp1116/p454462?v=77976

That pinion will fit perfect. Shapeways will make the bumper and sand it for much cheaper. You just download the file and send it to them.  They will quote it and send you an invoice if you want to order.  Once I received mine, I did have to sand the pegs a bit to get them to fit into the springs.  I made it worth the shipping and had them print the KC Lights and body mount as well. 

OK - so quick Q - I have received the other pinion this morning, is there a big difference between the two then? If so I will order this one and wait - no rush - I'd rather get it correct and perfect to be honest :-) 

Also, is it a lot more expensive to get the lights and everything done at once? I was also wondering if I should get a new body shell too, as the one i have was done in gold, and I would like to make an original blue, with new decals etc - unless you think its ok to spray over the top of this one?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

SO where did you go to get your 3D printing done? And do you just email the company with the download from that website?  Also, how much did it all cost you may I ask?  :-)

Depending how good the old paintjob was done sand it and repaint or drop the shell in sodium/natrium hydroxide aka caustic soda solution and see if it comes of. Wont be easy finding a body shell. Decals can be found at MCI

3 hours ago, Malakite said:

OK - so quick Q - I have received the other pinion this morning, is there a big difference between the two then? If so I will order this one and wait - no rush - I'd rather get it correct and perfect to be honest :-) 

Also, is it a lot more expensive to get the lights and everything done at once? I was also wondering if I should get a new body shell too, as the one i have was done in gold, and I would like to make an original blue, with new decals etc - unless you think its ok to spray over the top of this one?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

SO where did you go to get your 3D printing done? And do you just email the company with the download from that website?  Also, how much did it all cost you may I ask?  :-)

I found the .06 mod pinion worked perfect.  The 48dp worked but as I said it squealed. Once I found and put in a steel spur gear, it chewed up the 48dp pinion on the first run. The .06 is going strong.  

The kc lights are cheap on shapeways. I don’t remember the price but it was much cheaper than auction. Half the price or better. You sign up for shapeways, send them the files you want printed and what material you want used. Tough and flexible I think is the name of the basic material and it works fine. They will send you a quote to have them printed. Add them to cart and it takes about a week. 

MCI racing from Canada has excellent quality decal reproductions. 

8 hours ago, Malakite said:

Hi mate - OK sure - so the total cost would be $25 you mean?  for the two?  Do you have your own 3D printer, or use someone else?

Howdy, yeah I have my own 3D printer :D  its a Anycubic i3 Mega. At the moment I can print in ABS or PLA. The $25 is the cheapest for me to send a small parcel out of Australia to the UK. I'll pm with more details.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:27 PM, waterbok said:

Depending how good the old paintjob was done sand it and repaint or drop the shell in sodium/natrium hydroxide aka caustic soda solution and see if it comes of. Wont be easy finding a body shell. Decals can be found at MCI

Will caustic soda actually remove paint from the shell then?!!!  wow honestly?  I'm worried it may just mess it up then I won't be able to paint it at all lol but perhaps that is just me being over cautious??

3 hours ago, Malakite said:

Will caustic soda actually remove paint from the shell then?!!!  wow honestly?  I'm worried it may just mess it up then I won't be able to paint it at all lol but perhaps that is just me being over cautious??

I've done this on a couple of shells to great effect, but I would recommend testing a small area first. I did this on a Marui Big Bear body that ended having about 4 layers of paint. Pic is of it with the last layer to go.

Marui-Big-Bear-2-1.jpg

final result

Marui-Big-Bear-2-1-1.jpg

definitely easier I think, but I have not tried the solution. Although in saying that I have done solutions of Dettol (but not the antiseptic version), that was a hassle.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, yogi-bear said:

definitely easier I think, but I have not tried the solution. Although in saying that I have done solutions of Dettol (but not the antiseptic version), that was a hassle.

OK coolio - I will use the spray! :-)

Guys - any ideas why the gearbox won't close?!.. I can't push both sides together flat, as the end where the diff gear is, won't squeeze together sufficiently.. Any ideas?  Very strange...

Also, Re the decals - MCI listn them as 1/12th scale - but I can see them on eBay half the price almost, but they state 1/10th .. presume they are the same though? :-)

14 hours ago, Malakite said:

Guys - any ideas why the gearbox won't close?!.. I can't push both sides together flat, as the end where the diff gear is, won't squeeze together sufficiently.. Any ideas?  

Did you replace the bearings, and are u using the metal casket?

silly question perhaps but did you get the differential gear in the correct way? It is not symmetrical. One side sticks further out compared to the other.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, Malakite said:

Also, Re the decals - MCI listn them as 1/12th scale - but I can see them on eBay half the price almost, but they state 1/10th .. presume they are the same though?

The original Big Bear was a 1:12 scale kit, if memory serves correctly. That is why MCI will have their repro stickers listed as such. Since 1:10 is the scale most electric off-road drivers are most used to, though, it is likely that whoever made or is selling the ones you are looking at just assumed the model was 1:10 and labelled them as such.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:32 PM, waterbok said:

Did you replace the bearings, and are u using the metal casket?

Hi - I am not sure what you mean? It was originally missing the thin metal gearbox plate that goes between both sides of the plastic gearbox (Yogi-Bear kindly donated it to me :-) ), but re bearings - I did not get any different ones if that is what you mean??