Macinnis

Restoring my old Big Bear

On 11/3/2018 at 3:19 PM, Ray_ve said:

silly question perhaps but did you get the differential gear in the correct way? It is not symmetrical. One side sticks further out compared to the other.

That's ok - no questions are silly :-)  Well I have it the way the instructions are telling me - but I shall try the opposite way round just to be on the safe side!!

On 11/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, Yalson said:

The original Big Bear was a 1:12 scale kit, if memory serves correctly. That is why MCI will have their repro stickers listed as such. Since 1:10 is the scale most electric off-road drivers are most used to, though, it is likely that whoever made or is selling the ones you are looking at just assumed the model was 1:10 and labelled them as such.

Ahh ok that makes perfect sense :-)

Very interesting read guys i just picked up a big bear in excellent condition except for the stripped gears

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

32 minutes ago, Wade b said:

Very interesting read guys i just picked up a big bear in excellent condition except for the stripped gears

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Where are you located Wade?  I have a spare rear end for the big bear. I’m in Missouri USA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macinnis said:

Where are you located Wade?  I have a spare rear end for the big bear. I’m in Missouri USA. 

Hey mate I'm in australia. I had a good look at the gears and like you guys sort of said the idle was floating on the shaft and not getting full contact with the diff gear. 

Hi guys - ok so I have been slack as had lots of stuff to deal with,..but have now continued with my Marui Big Bear...  I now have the gearbox complete (after Yogi-bear had kindly posted me the missing plate for it!) and am looking for two important parts, well three if we include the front bumper that I still have not managed to replace as of yet..

So the three are:-

1. Front bumper
2. Rod Adjuster (long) Rod adjuster (middle) - I presume however I could get these from most places so long as I have sizes (which are clear in the           
    instructions) - 42.5mm and 25mm..
3. No.4 28mm Spacer X 2 (these are the tow 'mounts' that you need to place/screw the steering servo into place.. or could I get these from another kit -
     any ideas anyone??   

Oh and unfortunately I realised that the chassis is cracked where the rear suspension went (the two rear suspension arms were also missing) and so someone had placed two modern shocks on and made plates to then fit these onto the rear of the chassis - not a lot I can do here really other than just go with it.  Fingers crossed though once I sort these parts, I can get the electronic speed controller in, together with a servo and receiver and we are in business :-)

Oh and I didn't know if it was possible to 'ball race' this, so have left all bearings etc as they were...

Ultimately I would like to have it all original, but I am doing the best that I can under the circumstances!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malakite said:

Hi guys - ok so I have been slack as had lots of stuff to deal with,..but have now continued with my Marui Big Bear...  I now have the gearbox complete (after Yogi-bear had kindly posted me the missing plate for it!) and am looking for two important parts, well three if we include the front bumper that I still have not managed to replace as of yet..

yeah I am in the same boat, too much on this year work wise to do much, but good to see you are still pushing ahead with this

So the three are:-

1. Front bumper

like hens teeth they are, can you 3D print them, there is a model on thingiverse. Do you have the springs at least?

2. Rod Adjuster (long) Rod adjuster (middle) - I presume however I could get these from most places so long as I have sizes (which are clear in the           
    instructions) - 42.5mm and 25mm..

they should be doable from another kit

3. No.4 28mm Spacer X 2 (these are the tow 'mounts' that you need to place/screw the steering servo into place.. or could I get these from another kit -
     any ideas anyone??   

yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen these around on other kits too, and are probably similar to the ones on the Galaxy, which I would have heaps off, so if you get stuck I can have a look.

Oh and unfortunately I realised that the chassis is cracked where the rear suspension went (the two rear suspension arms were also missing) and so someone had placed two modern shocks on and made plates to then fit these onto the rear of the chassis - not a lot I can do here really other than just go with it.  Fingers crossed though once I sort these parts, I can get the electronic speed controller in, together with a servo and receiver and we are in business :-)

that's a shame about the crack, hopefully not too noticeable.

Oh and I didn't know if it was possible to 'ball race' this, so have left all bearings etc as they were...

Ultimately I would like to have it all original, but I am doing the best that I can under the circumstances!

there is a bearing kit, I bought one of eBay sometime again, but didn't seem to rare to get.

4 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

yeah I am in the same boat, too much on this year work wise to do much, but good to see you are still pushing ahead with this

like hens teeth they are, can you 3D print them, there is a model on thingiverse. Do you have the springs at least?

they should be doable from another kit

yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen these around on other kits too, and are probably similar to the ones on the Galaxy, which I would have heaps off, so if you get stuck I can have a look.

that's a shame about the crack, hopefully not too noticeable.

there is a bearing kit, I bought one of eBay sometime again, but didn't seem to rare to get.

Hello old friend - thanks so much for a fast response (as always!)..sorry to hear you have been too busy at work...I hate how the 'real world' gets in the way of us just wanting to be big kids :-))

OK so in answer to your questions:-
1. Yes, luckily  have both springs...  Where would you recommend that I get the bumper from, an online 3D printing service?...
2. Any ideas what kit/s I should look for for these?..
3. Yes, if you wouldn't mind having a look out for those I would be most grateful and thank you :-)

On 6/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, Malakite said:

Hello old friend - thanks so much for a fast response (as always!)..sorry to hear you have been too busy at work...I hate how the 'real world' gets in the way of us just wanting to be big kids :-))

well, more work is more money to spend on RC :D     

OK so in answer to your questions:-
1. Yes, luckily  have both springs...  Where would you recommend that I get the bumper from, an online 3D printing service?...

only one I know if is shapeways. I'd happily print you one, but postage might be a bit high from Australia, I think it was $25 last time I looked, that was the cheapest option out.

2. Any ideas what kit/s I should look for for these?..

I'll dig out my Galaxy and Marui stuff (all packed up at the moment) and see what I can match it to.

3. Yes, if you wouldn't mind having a look out for those I would be most grateful and thank you :-)

same for these, I'll dig them out, it might take me until next weekend though.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, yogi-bear said:

well, more work is more money to spend on RC :D     

only one I know if is shapeways. I'd happily print you one, but postage might be a bit high from Australia, I think it was $25 last time I looked, that was the cheapest option out.

I'll dig out my Galaxy and Marui stuff (all packed up at the moment) and see what I can match it to.

same for these, I'll dig them out, it might take me until next weekend though.

Hi mate thats wonderful thank you :-)  OK well I daresay the $25 postage would still be cheaper than me buying a replacement online I think as they seem to be going for silly money :-(