jonboy1

Restomod Ranger XLT

that reminds me - this is a lesson in having a plan in mind and sticking to it BEFORE you start restoring/building.

Originally I was going to do a complete box art (bar the base colour, it was always going to be metallic) but then the shocks got in the way of that, and from there it was a slippery slope towards shiny wheels. I painted the driver with going down that route in mind.

The plan was that I was going to restore it completely and gift it back to the guy that I got it off - he's a very old friend of mine and the son of Mike Smith - so I wanted to give it back to him as it would've been when him and his dad built it. As the restoration progressed and I chatted to him a little about it, it turned out it never was box art, he didn't like the colour, it was that yellow from the start. I knew he had had a few metallic blue cars (that he had painted himself) so it wasn't blue in general he didn't like, and after a bit more prying it was just the dull blue he didn't like, so I figured I'd be ok with the metallic.

So now I had a wider scope of options, so I figured it would be nice to do more of a hommage to him and his dad than a full resto (his dad passed away about a year ago, so this was in memorandum and respect to him - forgot to say that) so I've been trying to go for a look that I thought him and his dad would've liked, and a Company Pick Up seemed like a nice idea.

So now I actually hit a conundrum here - the driver does actually bear more than a passing resemblance to his dad, but I dunno if that would be a bit creepy now? The overalls could actually work if I went that route - I could loose some of the badges and repaint them to match their company overalls. Alternatively, I use some more licence and go Sand Rover, full check shirt and cowboy hat and keep it "neutral"

What do you guys think?  

@jonboy1 Mate, the work, the time, and attention to detail on this is outstanding. Not only on the Ranger itself, but also the thread documenting it all. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it so far. As for the colour you have chosen, and how you choose to present the driver, I'm sure no matter what you go with, the new or renewed owner will be super happy regardless. I personally think it would be great if it flooded back memories of his Dad, unfortunately memories can be brutally painfull, but they can also be equally full of joy.

Keep up the great work, your input is your signature on this piece. I for one, really dig it.

• Like 1

Thank you Smoothee, that really means a lot, I appreciate it 👍🏻

I should have another update soon, been caught up with day job and a few other things lately but hopefully I can get a bit more done over the next few days.

Hope everyone is having a good bank holiday 😀

• Like 2

Sorry - still no pictures as progress has ground to an almost complete halt while I finish off a couple of bodies for another TC member (I really forgot how much i really dislike polycarb bodies :(:() but it has also helped confirm that I really get a lot more satisfaction from doing detail paint, as I've enjoyed doing the drivers the most. This timed very well as Top Bloke award pending SRB Bloke went above and beyond and very, very kindly sent me a Sand Rover interior, spare driver body and the all important head and cowboy hat!! Thank you once again Steve, I owe you! 

So, as I had little plastic men on the brain (I'm sure that can't be a good thing to admit to) I started planning out what I'm going to do. All I can say for now is some plasticard has been cut and glued and filler will be making an appearance soon. Steve can feel pretty smug with himself as he has successfully baited me into doing an interior ;) - not sure how far I'll go with it - I have ideas - but they do have a tendency to get out of hand, so I'm trying to reign them in a bit or this will never get finished. Plus after reviewing his Sand Scorcher again the bar has been set very, very high, and it isn't going to be in that league.

Anyway, hopefully progress will be a bit more speedy now, and I'll get some pictures up soon.

• Like 1

It's been a looooong time since I have done an update on this, seems I have really struggled to find some spare time for anything lately.

Anyway, I have finally got the new driver (courtesy again of SRB Bloke - many thanks again!) painted. I'm not loving the seat - I've had an idea of how to make it better so I may have a go at that tonight if I can. Reasonably happy with the driver though, think he suits the Ranger much better.

File_000.jpeg

I've built out the base the driver is attached to and made some new mountings so it'll bolt up to the standard mounts, hopefully at the correct height too i'f I've worked everything out right (so that'll be a no then ;) )

I've also made a dashboard to attach to this, which I've done in the body paint thus far, so I've got some detail paint still to do on that.

While I had the can of paint out I decided there were too many flaws on the Ranger body for me to continue with, so I sanded the bonnet, roof, rear top arches and everything below the graphics and have repainted it. I'm much happier with it now, so hopefully a couple of coats of clear and some buffing and it'll be finished - again :) 

The printed rear wheels have also been re-sanded and filled as they just didn't look as good as the fronts. They are currently in base coat waiting for a time slot for some chrome.

Will get some more pics uploaded as and when I get things finished.

• Like 3

The driver looks fantastic. He reminds me of Desperate Dan from the Beano.

Wow, wow, wow, awesome work on the driver, loving the rolled up sleeves and collar etc... :):)  and looking forward to seeing those wheels...  

Thanks for the kind comments guys :)

just another quick update - I'm started fiddling with the seat as I really wasn't happy with it, so it's having a bit of surgery done to it. Hopefully it will respond well to the treatment and be much better following recovery.

Here's a picture of the dashboard I did:

File_000%203.jpeg

It'll get a bit of tidying up before assembly - to be fair though it looks better in real life than in the photo. 

I am very annoyed with it, as I started building it based on some pictures of Ranger dashboards I found on google - only to find after I'd made it I'd got the wrong model :( I'm hoping my mate isn't too clued up on Ranger variants or doesn't decide to become educated on the subject as I have no intention of making another one :D 

Been upto my eyes helping renovate my brother-in-laws new house this weekend and have been volunteered to do the same again next weekend too, but hopefully will get the interior finished this week and some clear (again) on the body. I WILL FINISH IT THIS YEAR!!!!! :D

On 5/6/2017 at 5:03 AM, jonboy1 said:

It's been a looooong time since I have done an update on this, seems I have really struggled to find some spare time for anything lately.

Anyway, I have finally got the new driver (courtesy again of SRB Bloke - many thanks again!) painted. I'm not loving the seat - I've had an idea of how to make it better so I may have a go at that tonight if I can. Reasonably happy with the driver though, think he suits the Ranger much better.

File_000.jpeg

I've built out the base the driver is attached to and made some new mountings so it'll bolt up to the standard mounts, hopefully at the correct height too i'f I've worked everything out right (so that'll be a no then ;) )

I've also made a dashboard to attach to this, which I've done in the body paint thus far, so I've got some detail paint still to do on that.

While I had the can of paint out I decided there were too many flaws on the Ranger body for me to continue with, so I sanded the bonnet, roof, rear top arches and everything below the graphics and have repainted it. I'm much happier with it now, so hopefully a couple of coats of clear and some buffing and it'll be finished - again :) 

The printed rear wheels have also been re-sanded and filled as they just didn't look as good as the fronts. They are currently in base coat waiting for a time slot for some chrome.

Will get some more pics uploaded as and when I get things finished.

Nice detail on the driver. BTW, do you have a build thread or some online pictures of your Sand Scorcher VW that's on the back of the picture up here?

Hi, thanks - much appreciated. ;)

I haven't done a build thread - didn't really think it warranted one as it's just a re-release and I haven't finished it (started it about 5 years ago.......)

It's had everything polished that can be polished, alloy box art cages front and rear, alloy wheels, Knight Customs motor, subtle mods to the arches, boxed in inner arches, coilovers front and rear and the start of an interior which I've tried about 5 times and scrapped. The roof rack is blu-tak'd on - still not made up my mind about it.

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome builds, both of them.

BTW, where have you got this coilovers for the Scorcher?? And which brand/model??

thanks!! :) I really should finish it at some point!!

I bought the coilovers from RC4WD years and years ago - I'm not sure if they still sell them, but they might do, worth a look.

I like the detail of the sunglasses on the driver, the simple but super effective pantscheme, Oh and that nice scale VW engine! It's a shame this Baja VW did not have its own build thread. I think it looks great.

On 2017-4-11 at 10:52 PM, Darat76 said:

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I sleep all night and work all day....

I'm an oddfellow and I'm ok, got a big peppermint that lasts all day...

• Like 1

Got the new seat finished last night - guessing the driver didn't like it as he seems to have lost his head over it....

File_000%204.jpeg

• Like 1

On 14/06/2017 at 8:43 PM, berman said:

I'm an oddfellow and I'm ok, got a big peppermint that lasts all day...

I can remember that...

can't remember the words tho...

So a little bit of progress this weekend - I got the interior assembled and finished off:

File_001%203.jpeg

File_000%206.jpeg

....so this is ready to be fixed to the body finally. Once again I've forgotten to bring my waterslide paper in so I can't reprint the door decal and get the final clearcoats on - I WILL set myself a reminder today!! (Did I explain what happened there? When I masked up the decals on the body to repaint the roof, lower doors etc I discovered I hadn't put as much clear on the sides as I thought, so when I pulled the masking off one of the door "Michael Smith...." decals came with it.....we live and learn)

I got the wheels painted - reasonably happy with them, although I did discover I need to make the hub a little thicker, so I'll change the model for that on Shapeways - and I painted the tyre lettering. Part of me wanted it yellow, but I thought as everything else is either blue, white or silver it might clash a bit, so white it is. MY eyes still haven't fully recovered from 90 minutes doing them....

File_000%205.jpeg

btw - I have replaced the bronze bushes with bearings - I couldn't find the little tub of the ones I ordered when I took this picture :)

I promised myself I wasn't going to do this, that I would exercise self control and not spoil the final reveal, but I was weak, tired and emotional - so this happened:

File_001%202.jpeg

(I'm just using the bronze bushes as temporary spacers for the rear hubs until I make something more permanent) 

Soooo, a quick coat of matt black for the inside of the cab, reprint the decal, clearcoat and polish, install interior and all the trim.... and I think that'll finally be it!! An end is in sight!!!!!!

• Like 3

NICE JOB !!!!!  Really great looking Ranger....   when are you starting the drop bed at the rear.   :):):)  

Nope - I'm not going to bite - I'm going to pretend you didn't say anything :P:P:P

• Like 1

I'm going to ask the moderators to delete your post for knowingly taking advantage of someone you know has a problem!! 

:D

• Like 1

I know its been niggling away at you and you've considered the drop bed, :) but save it for the next one :):)

Seriously !!!!    You've done an awesome job with the whole build, looking forward to seeing a few pics of it outside.....

Take it outside???!!!

Are you mad??!!!

Firstly that would suggest I finish it - and I don't have a great track record in that regard to be honest ;)

Secondly - that would leave my beautiful, beautiful hand painted, hand fettled, hand polished hand-iwork susceptible to UV rays, bird poop, heavy falling objects, stray missiles - all manner of dangers. No no no my friend - this will go in a nice safe padded box, transported to my mate and left with instructions that it never be opened. :)

so, almost 18 months on - we have some movement on this!!

I can't go through the hassle of updating all the pics (love you photobucket) so for those who have forgotten (how dare you!) here's what I started with:

IMG_0505IMG_1115

and here's where I got to:

Copy of File_000(1)File_000 (8)

not forgetting:

File_001 (3)File_000 (6)

So - the big problem I had (only in relation to this - I've seen councellors about the other stuff and they say I'm beyond hope) was that it didn't have a front screen. I've refused to succumb and fit the Blackfoot one - I just can't do it. 

Well finally ladies and gents, the patience has paid off. I now have in my possession a genuine clear windscreen :wub:

There is an end in sight - I might actually finish it!!!!!! :D

• Like 3