hoppi05

Getting back into RC

Good evening everyone and it has been a handful of years since I have been on here and the forum looks as busy as ever which is good to see.  

So I am wanting to dust off my rc collection in the loft to have some fun on the evenings however the last time I had my rc gear out i just went to a 2.4ghz receiver and handset which I never used but I did get 6 or 7 receivers I think. Since then lipos and brussless look to have taken off and I have NO idea about that technology and I am hoping someone can help with some recommendations based on my models.  

I am wanting to run my blitzers on a lipo setup mainly for fun and some increased speed over my old set ups 

I also want to run my old tt01 and tb02 on lipos 

I used to run 19 turn brushed if I recall with a suitable pinion for speed on almost all my chassis to be honest so what would be the equivalent or a bit faster in brussed technology?

I obviously would appreciate info on what batteries, motor and esc to buy as I have none of the above.  Budget is always a factor and for what I am going to use these for state of the art is not required. 

The reason I ask for this help is I have read a few threads on here and I am a little confused I apologize now for asking people to repeat themselves! if there is a thread I have missed that has some start  up info and links to good lipo starter packs if they exist that would be greatly appreciated also. 

Regards hoppi

Welcome back to the fold Hoppie05.  You have a lot of questions.  I'll do my best to address them.

ESC choices for bashing are pretty open.  Ensure what you pick has low voltage cut-off for LiPo batteries.  Use Deans, XT60, or Traxxas style connectors.  I prefer Deans because of their ubiquitousness but think the XT60 design is superior.  I have settled on the LRP Spin series ESC for my brushless powered bashers.  I like that the power button and capacitor are integrated into the ESC housing.  I like that its connectors are all pre-wired.  I like that it doesn't have to be programmed for throttle full, neutral and brake.  Honestly, IMHO it's the best basher ESC.

LiPo batteries should be hard case type for safety.  Double check each chassis to ensure compatibility with the plastic square packs.  They are slightly larger than NiMh stick packs.  I'd suggest getting 35c minimum discharge rate but I have used 25c packs in some of my cars with fine results.  35c though will work with anything.  50c is even better.

There's no real good brushed to brushless motor conversion.  Tons of conversations have been had on the topic and there's no resolution.  Estimates only.  I run 21.5T in beginner rigs, think silver can speed.  17.5T is like a Sports tuned or so.  13.5T is like a Super Stock.  These are all sensored motors which are more precise, especially at slow speeds.  The downside is they are slightly more fragile and not water resistant.  You could use a sensorless motor, Castle is a huge name in sensorless motors.  The Sidewinder ESC is a good option paired with a 3000-ish Kv motor.  I find over 4K to be over powered but hey, maybe you're looking for that!

I have recently become a fan of Speed Passion electronics.  I really like their Competition v3.0 MMM series motors.  Pair that up with a Spin series ESC and I think you'll be quite pleased.

Welcome back!

You can get a nice brushless combo (motor and esc) from around £30, but more likely £50 for a good second hand set up (which is what I paid recently for a castle set up and only slightly more for a speed passion set up with a tuning card).

If i remember right, full turns are a 380 type motor but in a 540 can (12T), and 0.5 turn (12.5T) are 540. 

KV , is rpm per volt. My castle is a 3.5T 5700kv , so with a fully charged 2s lipo at 8.4v, will spin at 47880rpm! 

Something like a 10.5t I think would be more than ample, but with ESC's being tunable, you can just turn the power down if need be ( the castle is done on a laptop and very 'fast and furious' esque) 

Lipo's, best write up I've read :- 

http://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

I just got back into RC myself about 1.5 years ago...  Learning the Arcana is a major feat after so many years away from the game!  

Good luck and welcome!

Terry

guys this is a great help very much appreciated I will get online and review your recommendations and look to buy some new gear in.  

One other point, chargers these look to have changed to manage the lipo volatility what's a good charger to look at based on the above.  

Thanks again.  

4 hours ago, hoppi05 said:

One other point, chargers these look to have changed to manage the lipo volatility what's a good charger to look at based on the above.  

Thanks again.  

There's a ton of variation in chargers so you'll need to provide some qualifications on your definition of "good".  In broad strokes chargers can vary in how many batteries they can simultaneously charge, built-in or external power supply, battery chemistry they are compatible with, extra features like discharge, cycling, testing, even ESC and servo functions. 

For racing I use an LRP Pulsar Touch Competition.  It requires an external power supply which can cost between $100-$200.  I love this charger!  It'll center my servos when I'm building.  It'll tell me what the internal resistance is in my batteries so I know which ones are better.  i can change the charge and discharge rates as well as cycle batteries or put them into store states.  Naturally it is compatible with all the most common battery chemistries and connection plugs.

For bashing I use a Duratrax Onyx 245.  It's 1/3 the price of the LRP I use for racing, will charge 2 batteries at once, has a built-in power supply, will charge all battery chemistries and allows for multiple connection types.

Thanks Effigy3 that's helpful and the device type is what I need so I know I am reading up on the right items Thanka again.  

22 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Maybe a stupid question, but why do you have 2 different chargers for racing and bashing?

Maybe so he can connect the LRP to a 1:1 car battery?

On 23 January 2017 at 8:55 AM, hoppi05 said:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-x-car-brushless-power-system-4000kv-60a.html

Hi guys are these any good price seems fair or am I barking up the wrong tree? 

Like most things from Hobbyking they're built to a budget price, but generally work ok. Even in today's market $80 for a sensored 8.5 BL combo isn't too shabby, instead of paying $200+ for fancy brandnames.

HobbyWing (brandname, different from Hobbyking shop) used to have the best budget-end BL combos then SpeedPassion came down with their club-level offerings which felt better built for comparable price.