Jim24

Lunch Box battery box and receiver issues

28 minutes ago, berman said:

Have a look at the receiver and make sure it doesn't have BEC on it anywhere BEFORE you power it up as you could fry it putting a receiver pack and a running pack into it...

The receiver is an OLD airtronics AM unit. I see nothing on it showing it has that technology. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, iluvmud said:

you got it! let me know when it arrives :)

Hey, stuff came in the mail, thanks! I will get a tamiya connector and try this out!

1 hour ago, Jim24 said:

Hey, stuff came in the mail, thanks! I will get a tamiya connector and try this out!

Use the deans plug I included and solder it to your batt

2 hours ago, iluvmud said:

Use the deans plug I included and solder it to your batt

After sending that and looking at it closer I realized what you sent. I will need connectors for the motor. Doesn't look like I need the battery box with this ESC though?

3 hours ago, Jim24 said:

After sending that and looking at it closer I realized what you sent. I will need connectors for the motor. Doesn't look like I need the battery box with this ESC though?

You won't, but I added it in case you still wanted to use the msc also I usually direct solder the wires to the motor.

Just an update...

Thanks to all the responses and help, especially to iluvmud.

After much "too do" the old electronics are out, I have a "new" used radio and receiver, and an ESC.  I had to get a new steering servo as well that was compatible with the new receiver.  All was functioning and ready to be re-assembled when the servo saver didn't fit on the new servo.  Different size...:unsure:  So, I appear to be ONE part from being able to run her for the first time.  I have the parts tree on order from eBay and hopefully will be here in a few days along with an instruction manual for the Box so I have reference when I need it.

Hopefully my next post will be of her running!

This thread is almost spooky my situation is so similar to Jim24.  

I also had a LB in the late 80's, then switched to a Clod Buster, but I re-bought a LB in the early 90's with the exact same AirTronics Vector VT2P 75mhz.  It's been sitting in storage for ~30 years and now for some (covid) reason, I'm obsessed with my LB again!

I also tried to revive my LB quick/easy/cheap, but that's not really the case.  I also had similar issues with my radio twitching (dried-up foam & grossly corroded/misaligned transmitter battery terminals), so I just upgraded to a cheap Amazon 2.4Ghz model anyway.  After removing the servo terminals from their old over-sized connector, I managed to fit them in the new transmitter in the right order get the LB alive again!  But after seeing that manual speed controller, I'm also going to move to an ESC... and crazy ironically I was looking at the quicrun 1060 waterbok suggested on Amazon.ca HERE.  A metal steering servo will inevitably follow :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my LB was abused much more and I loaned my wheels to a friend ~30yrs ago (pretty sure squatters rights have kicked in), so rather than buy a few expensive-ish parts and spend a bunch of time re-building/cleaning/fixing, I just ordered a new Black Edition from some cheap online place in Hong Hong (we'll see if/how this turns out..).  I'm going to drive my LB hard again, so I'll keep the old girl for parts if needed and I'm planning to have a separate "shelf queen" body and chrome rims anyway. 

Like Jim24, I also have some old battery packs (some still working!), but it's very likely I also get sucked into a new 5000Mah battery for $40cad on Amazon too.  Seems like fun driving for longer than 10min at a time now... LOL.  I still have old 480T and Technigold motors, so after the stock build (with metal bearings & body mounts) it will be some gradual mods to improve it.  But not too much... it still needs to be a classic out-of-control Lunch Box! :D

Hey Ultraburger! This popped up via email and I realized I have not been on this site in a LONG time.  I did finally get my Lunchie going and bought a Midnight Pumpkin for the wife/kids.  Sadly, these old girls do not take well to being "abused" and I found I was breaking one thing or another almost every time I took them out!  So, they have sat parked in a safe place and really haven't been out at all.  If time allows, I plan on getting something new to beat on and just keep these for rare occasions and for display. Best of luck and enjoy it!

Hey Jim, good to hear your update.  It makes me recall why I stopped using my LB, Clod and ESPECIALLY the Avante back in the day.  Drive too hard (or bad), they break... and then take time & money to fix :(

I guess that why most of the mods on the Lunch Box are about strengthening it :D

Hopefully this isn't just (another) expensive phase for me.  Or worse, maybe I'll get one of my kids hooked :unsure: