kwkenuf

Servo Recomendations

Ok, so i need a new servo for a 4wd buggy, offroad racing on a clay track. The basic Futaba lasted 3 minutes...I need one that can handle a lot of abuse

I've heard Savox are decent, for around USD $30 i can get one that looks pretty good, but I don't know how durable it will be given the one everyone seems to run which the is SC-1258TG is twice the price.

Another question - can you have too much torque? I think I'm aiming for around .15s response and 10kg torque. Is it a case of more torque the better, or will I run into other problems with too much, like damage steering or draing too much power?

what do people recommend?

you don't need to go for that particular servo, anything 8 to 12kg force with 0.1 to 0.15 time will work fine in either low profile or standard sized, one thing I would ensure is that the servo has an alloy case to allow for better cooling

• Like 1

Higher torque usually means higher current draw; also more damage if you don't know how to set your endpoints correctly.

Have got some Savox, they're good units but very thirsty as mentioned earlier. Get more brownouts with them that anything else, might've even fried an RX. They're too fast for my old reflexes anyway.

Savox metal gears pretty hardy, but they're so strong whole servo rips its plastic case ears off :lol: naturally Savox can sell you case spareparts.

• Like 1

I have had the S3003 like most have, along with some S9402 servos. I have now installed a bunch of these digital servos and they work a lot smoother with my modern rc systems. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-tgy-4409md-ds-mg-servo-9-45kg-0-11sec-44g.html

I have some S3003 servos from 1992 that still work, but the modern digital servos do work better. And frankly, I've been using a lot of this Turnegy and Trackstar stuff, and it does work incredibly well. In your case I'd take the precision of the cheap digital servos over the Futaba name on the S3003. 

On 4/9/2017 at 5:44 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Ok, so i need a new servo for a 4wd buggy, offroad racing on a clay track. The basic Futaba lasted 3 minutes...I need one that can handle a lot of abuse

I've heard Savox are decent, for around USD $30 i can get one that looks pretty good, but I don't know how durable it will be given the one everyone seems to run which the is SC-1258TG is twice the price.

Another question - can you have too much torque? I think I'm aiming for around .15s response and 10kg torque. Is it a case of more torque the better, or will I run into other problems with too much, like damage steering or draing too much power?

what do people recommend?

If truly carefree reliability is what you want, combined with speed and power, you need to take a good look at the Savöx SB-2270SG.

I use the 2290 high torque version for steering in my 1/8 8S basher and 1/5 scale dune racer, and they are not giving my Spektrum equipment any trouble, and they are always performing flawlessly.

Can you have too much torque? No. But you can have poorly adjusted end points. That can damage many things and burn up even the best servo.

The SB-2270SG is not cheap, but it's worth everything you pay and a bit more.

I use the Feetech FT5478M low profile servo on my 2 TT-02B’s and it’s a decent, strong, digital, fully metal geared servo which is also programmable using the Feetech connection unit (or whatever it’s called exactly). Bonus: they’re cheap af. Downside: standard rotation direction is opposite of other brands/servos. So you’ll need a tx that can reverse the channel.

I have good experiences with Bleu Bird servo's I have a lot of them and diverent models of them and they are great and reliable, there is not one of them that died on me, and they are not expensive.