Sign in to follow this  
StrokerBoy

Fire Trucks

I have a thing for US Fire Trucks.  There, I've said it.  On my last family holiday to NYC, at least half of the photos I took were of pumpers, ladders, aerials, quints, turntables and tillers, the bigger and noisier the better.  To my wife's decreasing amusement... :unsure:

Anyway, I've never really been tempted by any of the Tamiya trucks and trailers, though they look like a very satisfying build.  They're serious money and I don't think I'd use one once it was finished.  But I'd find it very hard to turn down a fire truck of the same quality, if they ever released such a thing.

I've seen Tamiya Cowboy's brilliant scratch-built truck on here, and a couple of nicely-done Euro appliances based on the Scania.  I'm up for a custom build but I don't think my skills quite match up to those examples yet.  There's a lot of nice smaller-scale static models out there and a lot of cheap-looking toys too.  Maybe I should start with a large toy-grade one, transplant the body onto a proper chassis and start adapting it ?

If you know of any other online resource where people might encourage this particular trait, feel free to point me at it.  Although, knowing me, I'll probably accumulate most of the components then just get distracted by something else... :(

Photo for reference (not mine) :

58b6083fc760ba7c3e1c78b2eba73210.jpg

The toy-grade adaptation is one of the most cost-effective routes - on paper, that is, depending on dedication ;) But it should provide a good way into a radio-controlled fire truck, and any alterations/detailing will lead to greater insights into the trucks themselves.

I cannot point you to a specific resource, but can at least provide you with encouragement. I hope you will be able to realize a build!

Edit: Whoa, hold up - found this for inspiration: Tamiya King Hauler Ladder Fire Truck build.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2017 at 2:52 PM, StrokerBoy said:

I have a thing for US Fire Trucks.  There, I've said it.  On my last family holiday to NYC, at least half of the photos I took were of pumpers, ladders, aerials, quints, turntables and tillers, the bigger and noisier the better.  To my wife's decreasing amusement... :unsure:

You sad sad man, you deserve to be bullied in the playground ;) Did you go to the Ghostbusters fire house?  Always wanted to check that out.

I would love to follow a build thread of you doing this though.  So much more interesting than a rig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Luckily my missus loves Ghostbusters so she didn't mind doing that. Couldn't see inside though.

• Like 1

You didn't miss anything with the Ghostbusters fire house by not seeing inside, as the interior scenes were filmed in a LA Fire Station. They only used the New York location for exterior shots unfortunately.

As for the Trucks, if Tamiya released RC fire trucks I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

Oh, the things I would like to build, if only I had the money, time, and space...

I always liked historic/vintage fire trucks. Seeing how ordinary trucks were adapted to that use really interests me. And also the Forest Service fire trucks, which are 4x4 (occasionally 6x6) and have high ground clearance (and are green, not red).

A toy conversion might be the way to go, I've seen some really detailed ones. A lot of them have lights already wired up, too.

• Like 1

I happened to see a cheap (and cheap-looking) toy fire truck at the weekend that looked about the right scale for a conversion.  It's made me revisit this idea, and I've been watching lots of YouTube videos taken at those big RC truck meets.  This one in particular is amazing (the truck, not the video) :

It's only a matter of time until I get dragged into this 1:14 addiction.  When I was a kid this stuff would have blown my mind, not that I could have done anything except watch other people drive theirs around back then.  I actually went to a small truck meet at RC Model Shop Direct a couple of years ago, and watched with a mixture of admiration, jealousy and, erm, something else.  It's all kind of a bit nerdy, although I'm pretty sure I could get hooked on it to be honest. :wacko:

However, despite the whole point of this thread, I think on balance I'll probably go for a Euro-style heavy haulage set-up.  There's a lot of custom building required there too : 4-axle tractor with 4-steerable-axle low-loader trailer with a big excavator sat on it.  See, I told you I'm easily distracted.  As markbt73 said above though, it's all dependent on money, time and space...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

It's only a matter of time until I get dragged into this 1:14 addiction.  I think on balance I'll probably go for a Euro-style heavy haulage set-up.  There's a lot of custom building required there too : 4-axle tractor with 4-steerable-axle low-loader trailer with a big excavator sat on it.

Actually, I'm out.  I've just seen some prices for the sort of stuff I've been admiring in the videos, and I paid less than that for all of the actual 1:1 cars I've ever owned.  I knew it would be a significant outlay but I'm utterly staggered at the amount of money some people will blow on a (let's face it) toy. :o