Sign in to follow this  
Frog Jumper

Blackfoot CVA shocks - questions

OK, so I've been using some "yeah racing" aluminum oil dampers on my Bushy D (vintage Bush Devil/Super Blackfoot) with standard Blackfoot front-end suspension...  Here's an example pix: http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005068524-1.html#1

I haven't been too happy with the dampers, although they look really shiny...  They just don't have the same "mushy-ness" as my neighbors Tra**as big bore dampered truck...  So I bought some Tamiya 50520 CVAs for the Bushy D...

I'm waiting still for them to arrive, but I wanted to start a discussion about these for my own sake...  Mine the Tamiya Club database for nuggets of knowledge...

Topic 1:  I noticed (from reading instruction manuals online) that the re-re MB CVAs (I assume the BF too) use the solid piston with the solid flat-head (BC8), while the 50520 uses pistons with attachable e-ringed flat-heads with holes (1, 2, or 3)...  Anyone have any first hand knowledge on a comparison between the different set-ups???  I'm thinking of using the 3-hole flat-head...

Topic 2:  I also want to jazz up my car.  Are there any other colors that I can get the plastic pieces, other than black, yellow, and white???  Do other color CVA shock plastic pieces exist???  I see there are clear blue 50519 parts (???), are there blue or red pieces???  Are these plastic pieces from other cars that I can use to replace the typical 50520/50519 plastic pieces???

Topic 3:  Does anyone have any experience with the 50519s on a Frog???  I think I'll need those for my front-end...   AFAIK the piston and reservoir lengths are shorter???  These have a clear blue option, as mentioned above???

Topic 4:  Hi-Cap Dampers.  How cool are they???  

Thanks,

Terry

I have the 2016 Blackfoot shocks on my Lunchbox. While the spring rates are a little stiff for Lunchbox, the price was right and I got all of the shock parts included with the BF 2016. It does include the e ring flatheads with holes but the shafts come with the flat heads on them. I couldn't see any way to use the holes flat head however. The great thing was that I was able to use parts included with the shocks to adjust size to fit Lunchbox (had to go shorter)

The flat head combined with the yellow shock oil made for a nice even mush even though the spring rates are high. If the springs weren't already preloaded from being shortened I'll bet they would have a perfect squish for all around off road. I'll probably trim them down to relieve the preload and soften everything up a little. Let me know if you don't like the softer springs from the CVA kit and want to offload them. ;)

As for colors I just painted my wheels a nice bright aluminum color and they look great. I was thinking of doing the shock bodies similar to this. A little paint is an easy (and cheap) alternative to buying new shock parts just to change the color. 

• Like 1

Thanks Munchy!  Anybody else want to add anything???

The CVAs arrived today in the mail...  Hopefully I'll get some time tonight to play with them...

Terry

My Pop just picked up a Pumpkin kit and went with 2x CVA damper kit for shocks. I'll have to see how they perform vs. Blackfoot shox on my LB but so far I am very happy with BF shocks. I plan to raid his CVA kits first chance I get to see what is included and will check back with a comparison to the BF kit I bought. I suspect that they are the same with the exception of the springs...