ralphee

Tamiya Top Force Re-re-really!

Yes, It's make sense that it would be because of the universal shafts all round on the evo but I don't know for certain...^^

Thought I would post up about my new built 2017 kit as I've been lurking on here a lot recently.

I've been running (bashing) an original 1991 Top Force for about 14 years on and off and decided now was a good chance to retire it and build a new runner using a re-re-re kit as my original one is getting a bit tired (I held off on the original re-release and regretted it). Regarding the above question about the J-parts and how fragile they are, all the J parts on my original Top Force are the original ones and I can report the following - J12 has sheered off at the top but I was able to glue it and use a longer screw through it to repair it, J3 has a small crack from one of the screw holes but still does it's job, J10 is the same, it has had a small split in it for about 6 years but is still going strong, the rest of the J parts are all perfectly fine, I've actually never broken anything on my top force that stopped it from running other than a steering knuckle and I've run it very hard, it has always had a modified motor in it of some sort and it has had a reedy brushless system in it for the last 5 years and I've never had a problem with anything. It still has the original gear set and diffs (I've never had to rebuild the diffs), the only major part I've changed is the rear gearbox casing to a re-release one in 2012 so I could run skyline speed tuned gears and a larger pinion gear (the pinion hole on the original gearbox casing is smaller).

My new runner (the pink shell in the picture below) is the new 2017 re-re-release, the green one is also a 2017 kit which I'm going to keep mint. I've built the pink one using a full hex screw stainless bolt kit, lightweight king pins, adjustable tie rods, GPM A-arms all round, I transferred my GPM alloy motor mount, 66t spur gear and 24t pinion from my original top force and I have also swapped J12 for an alloy part from a Dyna Storm kit bag. it also has full rubber sealed ball bearings everywhere other than the steering arms which have standard bearings. It is using a reproduction body kit off ebay and obviously the decals are from MCI (I wanted to do something a bit different but didn't want to use a genuine shell). It's running a hobbywing XErun brushless system with an 8.5t 4000kv motor and it flies. The only disappointment I had was with the shocks not being dampening adjustable but I plan of grabbing a set of the Hi-Cap dampers that will hopefully be around some time next year so I'll make do for now.

35125288233_903171baa7_b.jpg

I just wanted to make people aware that you can push this kit really hard if you want to and it's not as fragile as many people make out, I've loved Tamiya models for years and I've owned 2 original top force kits, 2 Evos and now 2 re-re-release kits and they have never let me down.

• Like 9

Not any more no, but only because I wanted much higher gearing (for speed) so I am using the 66t spur from a skyline speed tuned gear set which is full plastic and a steel 24t pinion. I did run the original alloy gear and pinion in my original top force for years, and yes it did wear down and create a silver paste inside the gearbox casing which everyone seems to bang on about but it never stripped or skipped or anything, I presume if i was jumping it off huge ramps it might not have lasted so long but I certainly didn't go easy on it.

I've still got the gear ratio guide for skyline gear set 😁 full of useful information I thought I'd try out the Ta02 gear set as the skyline set is hard to find and pricey and I didn't realise that the b7 is the same on the top force 15001326633871455770889.thumb.jpg.58cd411f0f7712fa5fc1cd9fbe1e8313.jpg

Yeh I don't think many people realise that the new gearbox casings are slightly different to the original ones and allow you to run a larger pinion. To be honest though if you are actually racing and are going to be jumping the top force then a skyline gear set probably isn't worth getting (especially as they are getting rare and can be expensive considering you only get 2 pieces of plastic for your money). I only run mine on flat gravel or grass surfaces these days so I can get away with high gearing and I want it to be as quick as possible top end so it's the best option for me.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 0:57 AM, Rich_8717 said:

just wanted to make people aware that you can push this kit really hard if you want to and it's not as fragile as many people make out, I've loved Tamiya models for years and I've owned 2 original top force kits, 2 Evos and now 2 re-re-release kits and they have never let me down.

I don't think the parts are weak (other than some of mine being ancient) just that it was HARD to find some J parts when I needed them. I broke my J parts in a MASSIVE high speed crash :(

I'll be getting some hi-caps and some j-parts as spares. Good idea retiring the 91 for a new build, my 91 was so much fun with the stupid brushless and 2s lipo

I can't remember who recommended this wheel / tyre combination but it's been perfect.

40F0EA07-A6A7-4F36-9007-934C037F3ADD_zpsa0ciubem.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Adamcurrie said:

I can't remember who recommended this wheel / tyre combination but it's been perfect.

You're making it very hard for me to resist getting one of these, that looks very nice!

What tyre/wheel combo was it?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 7:38 AM, Adamcurrie said:

Are those Tamiya DF03 wheels and tires?

The shop by me has a top force i am thinking of getting. What motor does it come with?

On 19/07/2017 at 2:48 AM, jupitertwo said:

You're making it very hard for me to resist getting one of these, that looks very nice!

What tyre/wheel combo was it?

Found the post, it was Percymon

he said:

Yes you should plenty of choice - standrd 2.2" buggy wheels, but you'll need 4wd front and rear rims with hex drives obviously. Tyres will depend on what surface you're running on - best ask the local guys for recommendations, but the DF-03 wheels and K block tyres should be available from Stella or Banzai

Black front DF-03 wheels are 0440209

Black rear DF-03 wheels are 0440210

K block tyres come in C (competiion = soft) or K (kit ) compounds

54185 front - K compund

54186 rear - K compiund

54187 front - C compound

54188 rear - C compound

Banzai :-

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=54185&search_in_description=1&manufacturers_id=&pto=&x=0&y=0

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=0440209&search_in_description=1&manufacturers_id=&pto=&x=0&y=0

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=0440210&search_in_description=1&manufacturers_id=&pto=&x=0&y=0

6 hours ago, jackdaripper said:

I decided to share my build here in the builds 

Here's my old build thread

• Like 2

I want to built my 2017 Top Force and I want to install a brushless set. Not a brute power set. I want a little bit more speed and power.

Which Set can I install? 

I think the ESC should be without an fan. Because it will be placed between the lower deck and upper deck. I think the distance between the both decks is to small for ESC with fan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madcaper said:

I want to built my 2017 Top Force and I want to install a brushless set. Not a brute power set. I want a little bit more speed ad power.

Which Set can I install? 

I think the ESC should be without an fan. Because it will be placed between the lower deck and upper deck.

I put a mild brushless set in my top force! It's the absima brushless combo eco 1:10 £61 but it has a fan on it which isn't a problem! I originally got it for my monster beetle but just decided to put it in the top force and it's a brilliant set up for the money it is sensorless which makes it cog a bit on very low speed but again isn't a real problem coz I'm not a competition racer!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 0:43 PM, Madcaper said:

I want to built my 2017 Top Force and I want to install a brushless set. Not a brute power set. I want a little bit more speed and power.

Which Set can I install? 

I think the ESC should be without an fan. Because it will be placed between the lower deck and upper deck. I think the distance between the both decks is to small for ESC with fan.

If you are planning to race then don't get less than 17.5t as this seems to be the lowest turn brushless equivalence to brushed motors a lot of vintage racers use. It's also a common stock class power unit. If not then 13.5t will give it plenty of pep without being ridiculous if you just use a basic tamiya tble-02s esc. I have this setup with a Speed Passion motor in my 2wd DT03 and it's lovely. 

If you are going to get a programmable esc (don't have any recommendations here as I don't run them but Hobbywing seem well regarded. You will need at least a 60 amp version) then probably stick with 17.5t motor as with some boost and timing on the esc away from racing (where this isn't allowed) it will fly.

My Thunder Dragon (one gen older than the top force and a less capable chassis) took a 10.5t brushless with 8.4v battery. It was mental fast and a real handful but nothing broke. I have since kept the overpowered battery but gone down to 17.5t for the sake of my nerves! Given it's racing heritage the Top Force would take this much power no problem so long as a metal motor mount and ta02 plastic gearset is installed. In fact put the metal mount and gearset in anyway!

I have run a 8.5 t and 2 cell for years in my original top force, no drama's, but I did cut threads in the gearboxes and change to proper threaded screws

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just saw them on eBay for first time. At £65 I think I'll pass and stick with my TRF shaft upgrade to the CVA! 

Looks like that seller is trying to take advantage of being the only one with the shocks available.  Tamiya USA has full msrp at $62 so US street price should be under that number.  That equates to 47 GBP or less once stock comes in everywhere.  Still not TRF shaft in CVA cheap but more reasonable for sure.