ralphee

Tamiya Top Force Re-re-really!

Excellent, will be an expensive spring. Bigwig, Turbo Scorpion and now Topforce ☺☺☺

• Like 1

Tamiyablog are confirming it too. Fantastic news! I massively regret selling mine years ago.

It got a ridiculously short run of 3 months in 2006...hopefully this one will be a little longer. :)

Will be interesting to see if the Evo comes back in a year or two in addition to this. I can really see that happening too.

looks like my credit card will take a bashing when the top force is out.

Since I've bought two top force re re's in 2016, I would've prefered the Evo, but I take this as a sure fire sign it will be announced late this year or in Nuremberg 2018. Yeah, I'm an optimist :) And this mean I can buy a third a little cheaper than the other two + spares will be available at my LHS. So I'm well chuffed. 

EDIT: I wonder why they choose to re-rerelease a re-release though, it would make more sense to re-release the Evo at this point? 

As Wandy states, the previous rere only had a very short run, so I think it makes good sense. Don't mean I won't like the Evo rere'd too though ☺

• Like 1

This so cool, if i only knew this a week ago, then i would not have bought the NIB Top Force. To bad they didn't make a Black Special version of it. 

• Like 1

Looks like i found a home for the spare sets of re-re hicaps :D

Oh shoot, yeah, i'm not supposed to be buying lol!

• Like 2

Yeah, @Klausen, 3 months is a confusingly short production run, so in that sense it makes perfect sense. 
2006, was this when the whole re-re thing was still new to Tamiya? If so, the short run might be because they had no idea what the demand would be. No matter what the reason, it's great that people will get the opportunity to buy them store fresh instead of the slightly inflated nib prices on the bay. 

I may be inclined to guess this may come as a carbon car?

I get that feeling seeing as it's what they did with the Avante

I'd have hoped for an evo,  bit this is still good mod fodder, this is great news.

49 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Yeah, @Klausen, 3 months is a confusingly short production run, so in that sense it makes perfect sense. 
2006, was this when the whole re-re thing was still new to Tamiya? If so, the short run might be because they had no idea what the demand would be. No matter what the reason, it's great that people will get the opportunity to buy them store fresh instead of the slightly inflated nib prices on the bay.

Basically, they re-released it way too early in "the game".

This was back in the day when the whole re-re scene was in it's infancy and no-one knew how it would explode the way it has done. Especially Tamiya themselves. They were tip-toeing their way into the re-release scene back then.

What happened was, Tamiya ran a promotion in Japan whereby they asked people which '80s buggies they would like like to come back more than any other. Seemingly, the answer they got back was the Frog, Thundershot, Top Force & Manta Ray. Consequently, all four buggies were released in early 2006. However within 4 months all of them except for the Frog had been discontinued.

This wasn't a surprise to some people on here as it had always seemed to be a dubious choice of buggies to bring back (apart from The Frog...that made perfect sense). Those were the days when it was fiercely debated on here which cars Tamiya could & would re-release and the reasoning behind them. Some people on here believed that it was only the homeland customers who dictated re-release policy and that there was no chance of certain kits coming back. Kits such as the SRBs, Bruiser and Avante. I think it's fair to say that proved to be untrue.

WIth regards to the original Top Force re-re though, it was released at a time when they should have been focusing on the kits from 1979 to 1985. It came too early and seemingly bombed in the sales department and the fact that the Frog has remained in production ever since speaks volumes. But these were the days when they were finding their feet in the re-re game. The ideal time to re-release it was probably about 4 years ago but at least they have brought it back now to make up for the errors of the past.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bjorklo said:

This so cool, if i only knew this a week ago, then i would not have bought the NIB Top Force. To bad they didn't make a Black Special version of it. 

The Evo is basically the Black Special version of it. Since they take every available opportunity to make a "special" version of each vintage buggy I feel very confident that the Evo will now be re-released within the next couple of years.

• Like 2

Thanks for the rundown, @Wandy! Oh man, I wish I'd returned to Tamiya earlier, it must've been nigh on impossible to not soil ones pants with excitement when the first re-releases were announced. Though there's still a lot of kits that would make me a giddy school girl if they're re-released. And I totally agree, eventually they will all be re-released. 

Like others have said... This spring is gonna hurt the wallet.  I just grabbed a Bigwig yesterday and looking to get a Black Foot soon. With yesterdays announcement The Metallic Heavy dump and Green Grass Hopper is on the list and I might just have to get another Pajaro. 

Add in the Kyosho Tomahawk and Turbo Scorpion and it looks like i'm gonna be I'm gonna be eating canned soup for another month.... Dame you tamiya...

I was planning on buying a mfu and a set of alloy wheels for my merc truck build but they have just been put on hold for know.

In all fairness I hope it will be the evo instead 

1 hour ago, racer1 said:

Like others have said... This spring is gonna hurt the wallet.  I just grabbed a Bigwig yesterday and looking to get a Black Foot soon. With yesterdays announcement The Metallic Heavy dump and Green Grass Hopper is on the list and I might just have to get another Pajaro. 

Add in the Kyosho Tomahawk and Turbo Scorpion and it looks like i'm gonna be I'm gonna be eating canned soup for another month.... Dame you tamiya...

is the BigWig re re available now?? I just looked on Tamico but could not find it.....?

Here in the states it is.  Mine came in today.  

Pics in the bigwig thread page 12

7 hours ago, topforcein said:

Well all I can say is YES YES YES YES YYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS.

My sentiments exactly.......... although MAN......... I hope its later in the year as I am beyond full capacity in vintage rebuilds..

• Like 1

Sweet Baby Jesus you have answered my prayers!! The Top Force is coming to my home, now let me start praying for the Top Force EVO.

Thank you Mr T, thank you, thank you, thank you. 

Ummm, is anyone else here as surprised as I am? I thought it was just the BigWig and not much else for the year.

• Like 1

Who saw this coming ? NO one . It's like they leak out the bigwig , Then slam we have some thing out 

of the blue ( wonder if this is why they have re re this Top Force ) . Would have been better if they did it the other way around :D .  

Good old Mr T , keeping us on our toes & empty wallets :lol:  .. 

• Like 4