ralphee

Tamiya Top Force Re-re-really!

Taking Myn out for her first run tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what she runs like. Will be taking it gently, only fitted a 17x2 since she is a limited run. 

I fitted top force evo repro shock towers, and tamiyas build for the hicaps doesn't work at all I tossed the springs and changed out the oil to my preference.

i also noticed the new hicaps I bought for my top force are completely different to the hicaps I bought 20 years ago (which are well worn, and in my parts trays) the material of the body is different, bottom seal mechanism totally different. They are actually completely dis similar to the original, not saying it's a bad thing, just they are not the same, just like the cva's in the kit are not like the original.

Juls

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

• Like 3

On 16/09/2017 at 3:17 PM, Lhodgo said:

Finished mine today! Unreal build, pure joy!

RenderedContent-0A02EE49-B763-4BE5-AA5B-278BCE8ACDA2.JPG

very nice and its nice to see a standard kit one and also box art also 

19 hours ago, topforcein said:

very nice and its nice to see a standard kit one and also box art also 

Hop up highcaps are on the way, so black cva's for now.

2 hours ago, Lhodgo said:

Hop up highcaps are on the way, so black cva's for now.

i have run my top force and manta ray on the kit shocks since the very early 90's and never seen the point in changing them as they perform very well even the bashing i've given them since new plus ive never rebuilt them and they have never leaked

The current stock shocks pretty much suck because they don't have proper pistons like the original shocks had. Most the new cva shocks have a steel disc permanently attached to the end of the damper shaft with a slot cut off the side of disc instead of c clipped plastic pistons with holes. 

While they achieve a similar goal, they don't work as well, not as smooth or consistent. A frustrating alteration to cva's that once where pretty decent. 

In my experience the shocks supplied with the current release top force are by a large margin the worst oil damped tamiya shocks I have ever owned. 

On the upside, the hi caps are only about $50usd from the HK stores (although all stock may be gone already) 

Most of the tamiya alloy shocks are very affordable and offer equal or superior performance and reliability to almost any other brand of rc shock at any price. 

If you have older cva dampers with proper pistons, hang onto them!

The CVA with crappy internals is one of the main reasons I sent my Top Force ReRe back and did my own thing with the DF01. If you get the pistons on the sprue with the kit 54043 TRF501 to coated damper shafts can convert them to proper adjustable spec. With some red o rings they are pretty good for general driving in my experience.

Took her out for a decent run, amazed actually how well it handles considering it's a 26 year old chassis. I did run it over an alignment jig and set the suspension up for level arms and handling outright of course but I'm still very impressed none the less. I'd be quite happy to run it at the race track in sport class. 

Does anyone know who has Top Force stock available and would ship to New Zealand? Tamico have them and will ship to Australia so thats a possibilty, but the usual places are out of stock and it looks like we got about 4 kits as our allocation down here as no one local has them

The kits are certainly thinning out, there is still a few on eBay shipping to Australia I assume they would also be shipping to NZ? 

• Like 1

The black wheels go quite well with it actually. 

Im curious where you got your stickers?  Did you make them? 

These are definately thinning out now, I got the last set of hi-caps from Tamico yesterday. 

If you click through to them now the page is gone and only says 'oops this page cannot be found' which usually means no restocking is happening. 

Still Top Force kits available at normal retail in the UK and DE though but they have definately sold quickly for a limited run.

Anyone done any set up work on their buggies yet? I have built a Terra Conqueror to somewhere between Top Force and Evo spec but never had some much adjustability before. Running regular Top Force shock mounts and modern CVA2 shocks with proper pistons (not the horrid metal plunger things than come in the ReRe kit). Only run briefly so far but seemed incredibly soft with loads of roll. Swapped rear springs to the front and added some spare soft DF03 springs rear which are a little stiffer. Now wondering about which mount holes to try and roll centre options. It is pretty in the middle of everything right now on or settings from the Terra Conqueror manual where applicable.

I am just bashing about. Not racing, tend to run a but on grass or loose surface. Nothing high grip. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Im running the oneway front diff and i like the way it behaves now.

• Like 1

I just run velco straps through the chassis plate holes, nice and light

Mine's been sitting for a bit. I'll pull it back out and see what it needs to get going and how the diffs are looking.

Just bought mine, got to wait for it to arrive now from Germany 

will get some hicaps for it i think

im just getting back into Tamiya after a 10 year gap

could anyonegive me the part numbers of the correct hicap damper hop-ups

are the fronts mini?

8 hours ago, Pulley said:

Just bought mine, got to wait for it to arrive now from Germany 

will get some hicaps for it i think

im just getting back into Tamiya after a 10 year gap

could anyonegive me the part numbers of the correct hicap damper hop-ups

are the fronts mini?

Cool! I got back into it about a year ago. 

Both shocks are short shocks but the fronts are built 10mm shorter than the rear. As Snappy1 says, hi caps come as a complete set.

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

The new Hi Caps come as a set part no 47358

Cheers!

ordered a set thankyou