Sign in to follow this  
bholio

WIld WIlly Servo saver (J1). Weak point?

I've been working on my Wild Willy (mk2) on and off for a month or 2. I finally got the chassis built, the radio gear installed, and a good-working motor.

When I got the car, part J1 (servo saver) was broken. I found a NIB J parts tree, problem solved. This evening, I was driving it, and crashed. Broke the same part again. Is this a weak point? Or did I just get lucky? The servo saver spring was not cranked super-tight.

Anyone have a solution? I don't really want to go and replace J1 with a new one again, just to have it break again. My plan is to CA it back together, then reinforce with fiberglass.

Did you lubricate it? Some greases attack plastic...

Better buy a 3rd company or Tamiya high torque servo saver.

Cheers

On my Monster Beetle, Midnight Pumpkin and WWII, I have replaced the kit servo savers with generic ones from the LHS, as I found they kept breaking. So far (touch wood), none of the replacement ones has broken.

I have also used CA and fibreglass tape with success as a temporary repair on the Monster Beetle servo saver, it was a good repair as it still wasn't broken when I swapped the kit servo saver for a Trickbits one.

Keep in mind that the plastic even if new is still probably 20 years old. This makes for some brittle plastic. I would say buy a new piece then reinforced it with some fiberglass cloth and some epoxy

On my runner I keep the spring pretty loose so you get a lot of action out of the servo saver.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this is not a common problem in the WW1, from the lack of 'me too' posts.

The plastic didn't *feel* brittle. No lube. I rarely put lubrication of any sort on my cars, even in the gearboxes.

I think I just got lucky. It looks like a good shot the the front wheels can pull that J1 part beyond where it can move, and tear it in half. Maybe mine is not assembled correctly. The cars has lots of modifications from the previous owner. I might have missed something while rebuilding it.

And to think, I let the car crash into the house to prevent it from tipping and scratching the beat-up not-yet-painted body. Thats the most frustrating part.

I'll fiberglass it, unless I can come up with a way to put a normal servo saver on it.

Well I fixed it by merging half of the broken J1 part to half of a tamiya servo saver. Seems solid enough. You can't just use a standard aftermarket servo saver. The WW1 saver is special to that chassis.

Yes, I wrote about aftermarket one as I thought in the beginning that mk2 was reffering to WW2, later I realized that it was reffering to the long wheelbase model.

Cheers

I thought that too. Ah well, sounds like you've got a working solution now bholio, so it came out fine in the end [^]

Ah, the problems of yesteryear :D

3D printing these small, hard to find parts has def made things easier - no fiberglass needed!