Mokei Kagaku

Another new re-re: 58643 Grasshopper II (2017)

One of the most interesting things we've discussed on this board regarding GHII's, and it's never been determined, was the availability of the Green Wheeled Super G. It was originally thought the Green-wheeled Super G was a Japan-specific release, until a member posted up a NIB example of the Green-wheeled sucker sold in France from a local hobby shop (complete with French lettering on the Super G limited edition sticker on the box). I think we even stumped Mokei on this one :)

Actually the FX10 wheels are different (sort of an old Porsche "phone dial" design), but the same size. These would be close enough for a runner.

• Like 1

The green wheels i got were all nip , i assume they can/could be bought that way, i used them on mine due to the rarity and slightly different. 

On a side note the super hornet orange wheels are a dime a dozen here

3 hours ago, NWarty said:

One of the most interesting things we've discussed on this board regarding GHII's, and it's never been determined, was the availability of the Green Wheeled Super G. It was originally thought the Green-wheeled Super G was a Japan-specific release, until a member posted up a NIB example of the Green-wheeled sucker sold in France from a local hobby shop (complete with French lettering on the Super G limited edition sticker on the box). I think we even stumped Mokei on this one :)

I have a scan form a german toy store catalog (Vedes 1990). "Mit Sonderausstattung" means "with extra items", so I think it is the Super G version.

img348.jpg

1 hour ago, chickenman242tk said:

The green wheels i got were all nip , i assume they can/could be bought that way,

They could:

49021 2WD Front Wheel Set (Fluorescent Red)
49022 2WD Front Wheel Set (Fluorescent Yellow)
49023 2WD Front Wheel Set (Fluorescent Green)
49024 2WD Rear Wheel Set (Fluorescent Red)
49025 2WD Rear Wheel Set (Fluorescent Yellow)
49026 2WD Rear Wheel Set (Fluorescent Green)

33 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

I have a scan form a german toy store catalog (Vedes 1990). "Mit Sonderausstattung" means "with extra items", so I think it is the Super G version.

It is, but the pic shows the version that is most common (fluorescent yellow wheels), at least in the export market. The uncertainty discussed is related to the version with fluorescent green wheels.

Based on information I've compiled and the Tamiya RC Perfect Album books, the following versions are known to me:

58074 The Grasshopper II, released 1988
93007 The Grasshopper II, released 199X (I don't know any details about this one or how it possibly is different from 58074)
92018 The Grasshopper II Super G, released 1989
49501 The Grasshopper II Super G, released 1990
58643 The Grasshopper II (2017), released 2017

I've just restored one of these - should I get a re-re to go with its vintage brother?

6B15F0BB-20B2-4064-B6B3-0F899832EE71_zps 

784DD876-AF69-48E3-9FCA-AA265B07BE50_zps 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chickenman242tk said:

Fluorescent red =super hornet??

Super hornet wheels have a different part numbers, front 445495 rears 445496.

Did have a set of the fluoro red wheels and they are darker than the super hornet wheels - sold them last year!!

2 hours ago, chickenman242tk said:

Fluorescent red =super hornet??

I honestly don't know whether I've ever seen them or just have a "fantasy" image in my head, but I believe they are more red. Kind of like the difference between PS20 Fluorescent Red and PS24 Fluorescent Orange. In reality, the fluorescent red one looks quite orange until you compare it directly to the actual fluorescent orange colour. And as you surely know, the Super Hornet wheels are definitely so orange that I can hardly believe Tamiya would call them red.

tamiya-86020-tamiya-ps-20-fluorescent-red-100ml-spray-can.jpg

tamiya-86024-tamiya-ps-24-fluorescent-orange-100ml-spray-can.jpg

1 hour ago, Finman said:

Super hornet wheels have a different part numbers, front 445495 rears 445496.

That's of course right (0445495/0445496), but not necessarily a proof that they are different. As you probably also know, Tamiya has released many parts both with "standard"  5-digit part numbers (49xxx, 50xxx-51xxx, 53xxx-54xxx, 473xx, 84xxx etc.) and with the old 7-digit and current 8-digit "bulk part" number system.

1 hour ago, Finman said:

Did have a set of the fluoro red wheels and they are darker than the super hornet wheels - sold them last year!!

THAT however, is a VERY valid argument! :D

59 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

That's of course right (0445495/0445496), but not necessarily a proof that they are different. As you probably also know, Tamiya has released many parts both with "standard"  5-digit part numbers (49xxx, 50xxx-51xxx, 53xxx-54xxx, 473xx, 84xxx etc.) and with the old 7-digit and current 8-digit "bulk part" number system.

THAT however, is a VERY valid argument! :D

I will try and post some pictures later of the ones I had.

• Like 1

A slightly unusual re-re if you ask me.  They could have just given a Madbull/DT01 chassis a makeover, called it a GH3 and be done with it.  Which  is something I've been thinking of doing with my DT01 chassis.  I guess it gives Tamiya an excuse to re use the Hornet gearbox and Rising Fighter chassis again.  I still don't see the point though.  

The original Grasshopper was a first and iconic.  The GH2...  I'm not sure where it stands.  Throw in the Super G, the Super Hornet, the parts bin special Rising Fighter and then the DT01 chassis cars, and I just can't see much of a place for this car.  Surely something else could have been redone - Striker, Falcon, Bear Hawk, Super Astute to go with the Top Force, just like the early 90's again.

Does anyone else think the same?

• Like 1

Well, when I grew up, the GH1 look a little bit oldfashioned and outdated, and the GH2 looked modern and cool. But later on, the GH2 disappeared and the GH1 got an iconic classic. But I think that there are many people out there that like to get a re-re GH2.

5 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

Well, when I grew up, the GH1 look a little bit oldfashioned and outdated, and the GH2 looked modern and cool. But later on, the GH2 disappeared and the GH1 got an iconic classic. But I think that there are many people out there that like to get a re-re GH2.

Similar to my thinking, when I first got in to the hobby in the early to mid 90's, the Grasshopper and the Hornet had been discontinued and many had been left in states of disrepair as part finding wasn't like it is now! A lot of people had the Grasshopper 2 and the Super Hornet (had both myself). 

I'm sure they will sell :)

2 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

A slightly unusual re-re if you ask me.  They could have just given a Madbull/DT01 chassis a makeover, called it a GH3 and be done with it.  Which  is something I've been thinking of doing with my DT01 chassis.  I guess it gives Tamiya an excuse to re use the Hornet gearbox and Rising Fighter chassis again.  I still don't see the point though.

It does seem to be a financially responsible re-release as so many of its parts are still in production, but I agree that a GHIII would have been an even better idea. Just ship the Mad Bull with smaller wheels and a different decal set, and they would have had a natural successor to the GHII rather than just a repeat.

15 hours ago, NWarty said:

It sure is Mud. The Striker and FX10 share the same wheels/tires as the GHII.

FX10and GH2 share the very same tires but different wheels. Same dimensions, yes, but unfortunately completely different design. I sold mine a year or two ago :(

4 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

The original Grasshopper was a first and iconic.  The GH2...  I'm not sure where it stands.  Throw in the Super G, the Super Hornet, the parts bin special Rising Fighter and then the DT01 chassis cars, and I just can't see much of a place for this car.  Surely something else could have been redone - Striker, Falcon, Bear Hawk, Super Astute to go with the Top Force, just like the early 90's again.

Does anyone else think the same?

It's an unusual choice, but then, they're an unusual company. And I like the idea of the lower-end re-releases; no one else seems to be doing it (Pegasus/Icarus re-re, Kyosho? Come on, you know you want to).

And maybe they're planning a Falcon/Striker/Sonic Fighter sometime. Seems odd that they would repop the wheels and tires just for this...

23 hours ago, markbt73 said:

You know what else this means... Falcon/Striker/FX10 replacement wheels and tires!

YES! Time to dig out my Striker again...

As for this re-release: I can take my budget and throw it out the window; if this thing is priced like an entry-level rig I will be all over this one!

The fact that they have re-released a "sequel" vintage kit has got to be good news for those wanting a Hotshot II re-re....

• Like 4