Sign in to follow this  
Brads442

What ESC to run in Vintage Hotshot?

Hey Everyone,

I am in the process of restoring a vintage Hotshot that I plan to run around the beach a little and various other off-road spots. I am keeping somewhat of a "Vintage Hop-Up" theme, and I am planning to run a Tamiya Super Stock RZ motor. My question is, what ESC would you recommend to run with that motor?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Tamiya TEU302BK. It can easily handle that motor while running cool enough for the ESC location not to be an issue. It's also very small.

Be aware that it has no LiPo cut-off (only LiFe), so a LiPo alarm would be in order if you are using them.

That's a pretty vicious motor for a vintage car. Are you sure you want to give it that kind of punishment? Personally I'd stick with a vintage silver can and save the superstocks for a less valuable rere. But that's me.

SuperStock RZ wouldn't be much more power than TechniGold on 8.4V :blink:

TEU302 is cousin of Futaba MC330/331CR... they work fine but nothing too special.

lately I'm liking SP's QuicRun 1060, it's cheaper, feels more solid and has lipo cutoff

Quickrun 1060 can only handle half the current of the 302. In the enclosed Hotshot I thought the one that would run cooler would be better.

It is cheaper, for good reason. Feels more solid? A bit subjective that. But yes the LiPo cut-off is handy, not that alarms are expensive, but they do take up space.

Good suggestions above.  If you want to keep it vintage, you could source an old ESC.  My personal favourite is the Novak GTX, it is tiny and unlimited.  Not the easiest to find though.