Chilihook

Big Bear Build (Triple B)

Thanks for this Macinnis, I will give the axles a look over the weekend!

On 2/21/2017 at 11:50 AM, waterbok said:

ehm your pinion has mod .5 and the idler .6 that would be a problem with meshing teeth.

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/gear_calc.html

Using @waterbok link he posted it appears the pinion is a 16t .6 mod.  I shredded a 48 pitch 16t RRP today with the MIP improved idler.

I have one of these on order and I will let you know how it works.  

https://www.amazon.com/Redcat-Racing-Module-Brass-Pinion/dp/B00E5L26OI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1488776266&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=.6+mod+16t

• Like 1

Have been in a bit of a holding pattern with this for a bit as there are still questions to be answered about the transmission as well as trying to locate a decent windshield/glass for the 3B. Additionally, the more I think about it, the staggering of the front and rear wheels (which are now narrower) will likely be a problem stability-wise; I'm pretty sure it will make a tall vehicle more tippy than it already is. I have seen some "axle lengtheners" on cheesebay but they don't look like they'd do the trick. Anyone have knowledge about these?

So that's where this project is at the moment, not going any place, but not going forward either. :-\

Hey there, long time no see! Resurrecting a near-dead thread... I found some very interesting parts on Shapeways for the axel hubs: might solve a lot of people's trouble with finding tires - direct fit hub adapters to take Tamiya Lunchbox/Monster Beetle wheels! I ordered a set, likely won't have them for a month, but will report back about their fitment etc. :-)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DXA8QLTUR/tamiya-adapter-set-for-marui-big-bear?optionId=64872180&li=ostatus

• Like 2

So I got the parts last week and got the BB back together - there's good news and bad news.

Good news, the 16 tooth pinion solved the locking up issue with the transmission B). It now works exactly as it should. Also, brand new old stock gear case and motor mount installed too. Shiny! The front axle adapters work perfectly.

Bad news, the rear wheel hub adapters do not work on this Big Bear. I'm not sure if the axles on other models are a shorter length than mine or what. In order to fit over the brass hex nut on the axle, the adapter has to be pushed down, past the threads where the wheel lock nut fixes to the axle. When the wheel is on the axle, it too slides to far down, not allowing the nut to tighten the wheel to the hub so the wheel just spins freely.

It's been a long day, and I'm pretty tired, so there's a good chance that I mucked it up someplace... I'll look at it again tomorrow to see if it's me or the parts.