Lebowski

Polycarbonate paint pots.

I'm trying to find polycarbonate paint pots (brush paint) but having no luck at all. I've tried the usual avenues of eBay and amazon, Modelsport, Wheelspin and many more. My local model shop is next to useless so I'm really stuck with where to go! Any advice or does anyone have any pots they would be willing to sell? Black in particular!

I have a few spare jars - what colours are you looking for ?

Might have 1 jar of black spare.

Assume you are also in the UK as could be a problem to post these abroad. 

I haven't tried it yet, but I mean to soon.

I suspect it's possible to first decant the PS spray, and then use Tamiya Polycarbonate body-cleaner as a thinner/brush cleaner.

Decanting is really easy through one of those bendy drinking-straws into a small glass container, which I usually apply with a cocktail stick for tyre lettering.

The polycarbonate cleaner does soften and remove the PS paint. So as long as it cleans up the brushes ok, it should work.

You could always do a test with an old or cheap brush.

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I have a few spare jars - what colours are you looking for ?

Might have 1 jar of black spare.

Assume you are also in the UK as could be a problem to post these abroad. 

Yes, I'm UK - Lincolnshire. Black is the main one I'm after but a white, silver and blue would be awesome too! Just let me know your prices and i will sort it out. Such a shame Tamiya stopped making the jars and just switched to spray only.

4 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Which blue ?

There is a bright blue, a dark blue and a metallic blue from memory.

In pots:

PC 3 Light Blue (which is indeed light "baby" blue)

PC 4 Blue (which is actually dark blue)

PC16 Metallic Blue

(Bright blue (named Brilliant Blue by Tamiya) is a "neutral"/normal blue (most wouldn't call it "light" or "dark") and available as spray only: PS30)

45 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

In pots:

PC 3 Light Blue (which is indeed light "baby" blue)

PC 4 Blue (which is actually dark blue)

PC16 Metallic Blue

(Bright blue (named Brilliant Blue by Tamiya) is a "neutral"/normal blue (most wouldn't call it "light" or "dark") and available as spray only: PS30)

Ah yes, sorry! PC4 ideally, 16 failing that.

OK, just had a look - I have black, white, silver and metallic blue.

Also have loads of copper, orange, bright green & purple if you are interested.

Probably have about 60 jars of PC paint in total. 

Yeah that all sounds good to me! Let me know how much you want and message me with some details and I will get a payment to you. Cheers.

PC bottles are nice consistency when fresh; Kyosho & MrColor had bottles too way back when.

These days Fascolor, Createx and Vallejo acrylic paints can be handbrushed on too; avoid hand painting metallics & micas in huge areas as they'd show brushstrokes but otherwise they'll stick to clean scuffed lexan well enough.

Back in the80's I painted my old Falcon body with the Tamiya paint from a pot, and assumed it would be the same today.

No, spray cans were all they had.

I preferred the pots to be honest, lot less hassle!

4 hours ago, SNAKEBITE said:

Back in the80's I painted my old Falcon body with the Tamiya paint from a pot, and assumed it would be the same today.

No, spray cans were all they had.

I preferred the pots to be honest, lot less hassle!

Duratrax and Parma Faskolor is what I use.

I love Faskolor-in terms of quantity and quality is totally bang for the buck! ;)

4 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Duratrax and Parma Faskolor is what I use.

I love Faskolor-in terms of quantity and quality is totally bang for the buck! ;)

used to be more colours before, in Fascent & Faschange :(

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 9:53 PM, Tamiyabigstuff said:

You have PM.

Thanks for the paints, they arrived today in very sturdy packaging! 👍

• Like 1

I'm trying to source PC12 Silver for Hornet roll cage, struggling to get a pot paint.

Too late to spray as I've already laid the black down, if id thought about it I could have bought a can of silver, masked and sprayed the roll cage and then the black on top. The stickers aren't going to cut it for me, look fiddly and not sure about longevity.

Anybody know where I can get one or want to sell a pot?

Thanks,

5 hours ago, cliffw0970 said:

I'm trying to source PC12 Silver for Hornet roll cage, struggling to get a pot paint.

Too late to spray as I've already laid the black down, if id thought about it I could have bought a can of silver, masked and sprayed the roll cage and then the black on top. The stickers aren't going to cut it for me, look fiddly and not sure about longevity.

Thanks,

i know my lhs keeps the full tamiya range of paints in i dont know if they have it in stock as i aint been there in a long time they do have a web site and i presume they post also.

http://www.pennmodelsrc.co.uk/pennmodels/index.asp

10 hours ago, cliffw0970 said:

Thanks,

If I understand correctly, you intend to paint the cage on the outside of the body? If so, it may be useful to inform that the metallic Tamiya bottle paints are generally unsuitable for brush painting as the metallic particle will line up with the brush strokes and not be randomly oriented like when spray painting and this is even worse when painting on the outside instead of the inside. Also, the different Tamiya PC-paints (bottled lexan paints) don't all behave the same way and silver is among the more problematic ones with regard to coverage and even surfaces.

If you haven't removed the protective film from the body yet, I would suggest scoring the edges of the roll cage with a very sharp scalpel and minimum force, then peel off the film from the roll cage areas and spray paint silver. Like many others, I use the protective film as "masking tape" this way for details that I want to or have to paint from the outside. It doesn't work well for all brands of bodies, but with Tamiya bodies, I have only positive experiences doing it this way.

Loved the Tamiya Paint Markers, especially their chrome silver - not really shiny chrome just dull silver but it covered pretty well enough to be a 1-shot job.

Wonder when T stopped making them :) haven't seen them in yonks.

These days I go looking in the Gundam modelling supplies instead.