Sign in to follow this  
Magsy-NYC

Boomerang - compatible upper arms

Hey all -

I am in the process of restoring a few vintage tamiyas. I am active on my boomerang. I noticed a few of you have installed adjustable upper arms and i think it looks really cool. I think one or two were parma ones, but I can't find them on ebay or anywhere else online. Does anybody know if some of the later model tamiya adjustable upper arms will fit on a boomerang? (or with a little tinkering?)

Many thanks!

I reckon anything can be done, but because the Boomerang (and the other models in the "Hotshot-series") has a rather special front upright design (without C-hub), Tamiya has no adjustable upper arms that would be a direct bolt-on and that wouldn't require quite a lot of tinkering. TC-member Grahoo (not sure if he's active or even member here anymore), heavily modified a Hotshot, including chopping the upper suspension arms (at least in the rear, don't remember the front) to make them adjustable. He used two turnbuckles on each upper arm as they most likely wouldn't be stable with "just" one because of the special design.  

You mention that adjustable upper arms look cool and that's of course a valid reason for wanting them on a Boomerang too, but you shouldn't expect any real benefit for handling. The whole model's design is too crude for any significant benefit of fitting adjustable upper arms. There are so many other areas on that model that would require attention and modifications before the effect of adjustable upper arms would even be noticable (in a positive way).

• Like 1

Parma adjustable upper arms are almost unfindable.

As Mokei kagaku said you can do many modification on this chassis. I can suggest to have a look at mine here:

Max

• Like 1

Thanks all for the quick responses. Very helpful!!

I will post some pics of my collection in the coming weeks.

Cheers

On 1/30/2017 at 1:01 AM, kontemax said:

Parma adjustable upper arms are almost unfindable.

As Mokei kagaku said you can do many modification on this chassis. I can suggest to have a look at mine here:

WOW - that was awesome! Thanks for all the ideas!

Max