mongoose1983

A tale of two Scorchers - RC project for 2017

On 9/18/2017 at 5:35 PM, max69vk said:

Great work, that roof rack looks great! Out of curiosity have you had to do much work with repairing the roof gutters? Any tips on how to fix them if you have?

Sorry for being so late, mate. I am still here trying to solve some problems. As you see in the pics below, the body was in terrible shape when the car was given to me but the lines on the sides of the roof fortunately were almost intact. I think I've seen somewhere online some restoration using pieces of plastic to repair missing sections of those lines. Seem way too complex, I just haven't had the need to do so now nor in the past. Have you got some pictures of your Scorcher body? Perhaps, if I see it I can maybe come up with some idea.

ynOfLLA.jpg

Back to my Scorcher #2 work, I have done some more work to it this week. I sprayed a lil more paint to make it a little glossy, just a little. Also I finished exhaust pipe with modelmaster metalizer effect, and got the nosecone all done in the same bodycolor (at first I thought about semi gloss black but I changed my mind later) and finally got the rear license plate done. Since this was a reproduction I got through a buddy here in TC I took the risk to cut off the CA wording out of it. So it's not 100% done, but having lots of fun going ahead and getting done with this wonderful VW off-road model car.

dliwmQy.jpg

I also got me some blue and white paint today for the Scorcher #1 project which will be boxart. If time allows I'll finish stripping that bodyshell sometime next Sunday, too.

You all have a good weekend! :)

Great job on restoring the body. I probably would mess it up more if im the one doing that.😃  

Have not been able to use the internet and many things have happened here the last couple of months. The Sand Scorcher VWs are now almost completed. The #2 has been painted and by now it is almost ready, only the small detail missing (see pics below). The #1 is a Boxart project. I have no pictures of it today, but I did a pretty good job replicating the boxart. I need to go through with the window rubbers and shutlines. Anyway, here’s some pictures of what has been done to the #2 model. I got to replicate the original door handles with a piece of white plastic Tamiya sprue leftover, a modelling knife and some fine files. Results are astonishing to say the least. I am one super happy camper! Also, I used the method shared here by a Tcer from Spain to use a left re-re mirror as a right one for the original authentic Sand Scorcher VW bug body. Pictures will do the talking better than my writing. It is not complicated but you have to have a steady hand otherwise you can ruin your parts. All in all, working on these VWs have been super rewarding and the vehicles look absolutely fantastic!

You all have a good 2018!

Pictures

The doorhandles:

thO0xyG.jpg

VHkumh6.jpg

YwsrCll.jpg

Mirror and another look at the VW bugs:

ok39d9Z.jpg

0myzncs.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you back mongoose , Love ya work & detail . Plus how you just make make things you don't have

out of what ever you can . That's the 80's style , we all used to do . Happy New RC year M8 .  

No 3D printing here, that's how I modelled... :)      Superb work on the details. 

Happy New Year to all...

Handles look great Erich! You have done a fine job of replicating the originals! :D

Noticed you have been absent lately, hope everythings ok. Was meant to send you a HNY email but, well, got distracted sorry.

Giving this thread a bump as all my Scorcher projects have slowed whilst I restore the chassis & I need some inspiration to keep going! :D

Thank you @max69vk for giving me the chance to remember and resume the work on my old VW buggies!

Here’s some pictures so you can see what they look like these days. I could not bring myself yet to drill the tan (or #2 for that matter) Sand Scorcher in a way to get the roof-rack fixed, and I can say most the big work has been done to that one, except for the chrome paint of the doorhandles (I’ve made those with a piece of white plastic Tamiya tree and a file!) and the small windows from the doors. I’d like to do some shutlines to it, too, but... I take things seriously with these model cars and I don’t want to risk so much work with a small mistake, ugh. Also, I could not find my way to original lenses for the rear indicators, so I had to use re-re ones which is pretty much a shame.

Now the #1 box-art Sand Scorcher, ugh, for sure one of the most complicated and nerve-wracking paintjobs one can get into in this hobby! I have like I don’t know like 200 pictures of the painting process which was slow and careful. The amount of hours into it were absolutely crazy. Fortunately I think I did a nice job with it. Now I need to address the rubbers and the doors’ small windows. One thing I am VERY MUCH IN NEED OF is one front aluminum wheel for this one. I do have the rear ones and only one for the front. Years ago a friend from the States sent me one to complete the set but that one was a opaque and plastic and did not match the set properly. So I am now looking for one to get my buggy right. Also, I will have to do the tyre lettering on the rear one of these days. I am looking for a K&N decal (must be the b&w logo from the 70’s!) and some numbers for it. As often I did not have access to the original decals so I did my best with what I had around. I am very happy with it anyway. A driver should be found somewhere for one of these. Not fuzzed if a re-re, if anybody has one for trade ;)

Thanks again for calling my attention with these ones. The wife here did not see the box-art Sand Scorcher before and the instant reaction when she saw me carrying it this morning was “wow that’s gorgeous!”. That second in my day made me feel pretty good, haha.

Now to the pictures:

The SS#2 without the roof-rack...

dbbUQUu.jpg

SS#1

ooKl1Jv.jpg

SS#2

xmhARdG.jpg

My buddy Alan gave the roof-rack to me. I got a pair of yellow lamps for it from the Ford F-350 Tamiya kit.

Also, I did not have another set of lamps so I had to cut round plastic discs to cover the buckets (a US penny is perfect size if you want to mark the plastic to get the discs done) and then used a pair of used foglight decals from old buggies. Better than nothing! As for the front indicators, well that's another story. The previous owner found it amusing to drill the original ones and stick a set of light-leds throw them. On my way to restore and rebuild I noticed the fake ones from the F-350 kit fit the holes left alright after removing the stupid light kit the came had installed. Again, they look better than leaving the holes there <_<

FoWig77.jpg

Another look at the box-art SS#1

RR2dmKJ.jpg

Need to get that stinger painted, same thing with the license plates (I just don't want these buggies to be connected with California, so I haven't felt like doing them anytime soon).

Pew31Mp.jpg

What you see here is the left mirror that @Crash Cramer or @Tjaard gave to me years ago. It was cut and modified so I could fit it there alright. Not really a fan of it, but once again, that's better than nothing.

CgbyHZX.jpg

You all have a good Tuesday! :)

• Thanks 3

Love how you did the door handles! Excellent job.. 2 tone paint is awesome... Must have taken ages for you to finish that turned out really nice!