Jimbo

Schumacher Cat XLS is back

11 hours ago, TeaMonster said:

It is a gorgeous looking buggy. Can you tell me how you found the masking for the paint? I had some bleed on the red to yellow. I do like the silver on your as well👍

I used normal tamiya masking tape ( Which I find works really well) then on the leading edge I use tamiya tape for curves item number 87178! 3 or 5mm it's brilliant I find it sticks really well and it more pliable and I've never had bleeds:)!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moffman said:

I used normal tamiya masking tape ( Which I find works really well) then on the leading edge I use tamiya tape for curves item number 87178! 3 or 5mm it's brilliant I find it sticks really well and it more pliable and I've never had bleeds:)!

Cheers mate,

I will get some of the 871 tape on order and give it a go.

On ‎16‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 1:25 PM, MAD RACER said:

Mine went together quite well.

This is a pure racing machine from the 80's and just like the RC10. Yokomo & PB these kits needed a lot of hand finishing and fine adjustments during the build. 

Having said that the CAT RE re is a lot easier to build with today's tools and Schumacher's excellent fit. Just very different in it's design in some area's which is what made it a world class racing machine . The right screwdriver  for the pozi screws is a must I feel. The soldering of the ball joints on the sway bar was super easy. The material used took to the solder very easy . I just scratched the surfaces to be soldered with a X Acto blade..

Not to mention also the improvement of the manual. Original 80's manual of the CAT was nothing but a joke:lol:

• Like 1

Is the drive train "open", or sealed on the cat? I'm trying to decide if I want to endure another build, but ultimately where I run its very sandy and a "open" style transmission does not last long.

3 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

Is the drive train "open", or sealed on the cat? I'm trying to decide if I want to endure another build, but ultimately where I run its very sandy and a "open" style transmission does not last long.

Judging from the names abbreviation Competition All Terrain, this should include also running it on sandy tracks:lol:.

The drive train is protected with lexan belt covers and undertray, the body covers the upside of the car quite nicely. So this shouild not be a big issue. 

For those of you that have completed step 7, is this supposed to be flush? In that the metalthingy isn't suppose to be visible? I've done and redone this over and over again now but the metal washer is visible every single time. Am I (as usual) doing something wrong, or is this how it should look?

IMG_4603.jpg

Ummm 

Cant recall mine like that. Are the belt fences the right way round? The pulleys the right way around?

Just a guessing here.......

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 9:39 PM, MAD RACER said:

Ummm 

Cant recall mine like that. Are the belt fences the right way round? The pulleys the right way around?

Just a guessing here.......

I thought so, but it certainly doesn't look like that way. Thanks for confirming my suspicions! I'll have to give it another go. Maybe screaming at it will help. 

• Like 2

Mine arrived, metro hobbies came through. Any consensus on a nice brushed motor? I want it to run but mainly shelf. Kinda want the vintage feel. Not lipo / brushless.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lhodgo said:

Mine arrived, metro hobbies came through. Any consensus on a nice brushed motor? I want it to run but mainly shelf. Kinda want the vintage feel. Not lipo / brushless.

👍 Mine is arriving tomorrow from metro, i didn't opt for the upgraded heavy duty tranny, as im only going to be running a tamiya 540 as metro specified i should use for that vintage feel with a gentle run to look after it. But im open to other suggestions..?

3 hours ago, Lhodgo said:

I've put a old team orion 11turn double in mine like you I didn't want to go brushless etc  I've had it for ages it has quite a bit of punch I tried brushless but all it did was make the diffs make a very unpleasant clicking sound:o! Suppose that's why you can get a heavy duty transmission?, The problem I'm having at the moment is rubbish steering I mean like sand Scorcher bad!:unsure:

s-l1600.jpg

Nice, only up to step 5 in my build. No steering issue yet😬😬

did Schumacher align with a motor company back in the day?

moffman, what esc are you going to run with that little beast?

Strange question in know, but is there super glue in the kit, says there is but I don't seem to have any. Makes my decision not to buy some when I was staring at it in the market tonight quite annoying!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

I haven't emptied the kit in search for super glue, but I didn't see any either so I just bought a tube. @Lhodgo

Don't bother there isn't any! Like I've said before this kit is a patients user^_^!

It doesn't come with any, but I would recommend a medium viscosity one so it does not run everywhere!

Wow, this build...its definitely different. 

Was anyone else disappointed with the finish of the lexan rear wing or did I just get a dud? There was no protective film and it's quite bubbly. In fact if looks like it's been cooked in the microwave! The mask lifted and I got super bleed from the black paint. Waiting for a bottle of this magic tamiya paint remover everyone bangs on about. Hopefully that will clean it up.

Ok guys - the kit + upgraded transmission just arrived !

I'vd read everyone's thoughts above but are there any other build tips to note before having some fun ?

Also what essential hop ups should I source / why ?

Finally, what ESC and motors are you running with the upgraded transmission  ?