Jimbo

Schumacher Cat XLS is back

56 minutes ago, scoobybooster said:

Should be possible but it's a pain to frickle in the 4  passing-through screws (Step 19, page 15) back in place. These are holding the complete front-section together and you'll need at least two more hands to get it all back in place again:wacko:. ( Btw - I haven't started with the built of mine but i know this from the rebuilds my original CAT's ).

I've just past that step 19 bit! And my thoughts was this car designed for octopus to build and what's the drive shafts all about:unsure:? heating them up makes them easier to put together so out comes the wife's hair dryer and great the first one snaps:angry: and the use of super glue for the diffs? And soldering the front rollbar???........ strange but I suppose it is a eighties design:rolleyes:!

15 minutes ago, moffman said:

I've just past that step 19 bit! And my thoughts was this car designed for octopus to build and what's the drive shafts all about:unsure:? heating them up makes them easier to put together so out comes the wife's hair dryer and great the first one snaps:angry: and the use of super glue for the diffs? And soldering the front rollbar???........ strange but I suppose it is a eighties design:rolleyes:!

Oi! What do you mean you've just passed the step 19 bit you loon? Then how come I'm not seeing a thread in the build section? I want to see a xls thread in the build section! 

13 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Oi! What do you mean you've just passed the step 19 bit you loon? Then how come I'm not seeing a thread in the build section? I want to see a xls thread in the build section! 

I had the intentions of building then photographing but my patients got in the way! Anyway I've stopped at the shock's because of the hardened steel circlips and I can't face the inevitable springing off into the far distance never to be seen again (and you can guarantee its going to happen because it tells you to oil the rubber 'o' rings with silicone oil) and you don't get any spare circlips:blink:! So I've had a bit of a think and me thinks "spare one's from my Optima" (again I think that's where they are from) and they fit perfectly and no leeks happy days:)

• Like 1

Are those steel clips anything like tamiya's e-clips? If so I already hate them with a vengeance -and must remember to buy an e-clip tool tomorrow. 

It's not too late for you to make a build thread though, thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Are those steel clips anything like tamiya's e-clips? If so I already hate them with a vengeance -and must remember to buy an e-clip tool tomorrow. 

No they are far harder to get into the seal of the shock body I'd have Tamiya e-clips any day over these little sucker's, the drive shaft is the one I heated up and it snapped:angry:! Got to admit it was a very testing build not straight forward by any means!

IMG_20170806_111546.jpg

IMG_20170806_111513.jpg

IMG_20170806_111436.jpg

IMG_20170806_192606.jpg

IMG_20170806_195025.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, moffman said:

No they are far harder to get into the seal of the shock body I'd have Tamiya e-clips any day over these little sucker's, the drive shaft is the one I heated up and it snapped:angry:! Got to admit it was a very testing build not straight forward by any means!

IMG_20170806_111546.jpg

IMG_20170806_111513.jpg

IMG_20170806_111436.jpg

IMG_20170806_192606.jpg

IMG_20170806_195025.jpg

''Tis a gorgeous looking car though👍I will be continuing the build of mine in the next couple of weeks

Worse than e-clips, that doesn't bode well for neither my patience or (lack of) skills. As for heating up the drive shaft, must say I didn't expect ironmongery to be a part of the process. 

It does look fantastic though! So now I just need to find an alternate color scheme and all is good and ready for the build. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Worse than e-clips, that doesn't bode well for neither my patience or (lack of) skills. As for heating up the drive shaft, must say I didn't expect ironmongery to be a part of the process. 

It does look fantastic though! So now I just need to find an alternate color scheme and all is good and ready for the build. 

Another strange thing which I can't get my head around (just to give you the head up) is you have to solder the front roll bar to the ball joints! Not the normal grub screw:blink:!

8 hours ago, moffman said:

Another strange thing which I can't get my head around (just to give you the head up) is you have to solder the front roll bar to the ball joints! Not the normal grub screw:blink:!

Oh, poop. You might as well said I'd have to conjure Cthulu and defeat him with a feather duster. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Oh, poop. You might as well said I'd have to conjure Cthulu and defeat him with a feather duster. 

Thing is I've soldered lots of stuff before but this just don't work! The moment it twists it snaps off! And I've used different solder I'm obviously doing something wrong somewhere:unsure: and has anyone at Schumacher actually measured a 7.2 stick pack?, I have about 15 of them all different manufacturers and none come anywhere near fitting in the battery straps! This kit is slowly starting to get on my nerves:mellow:!

IMG_20170807_100315.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking exactly the same thing jupitertwo, I haven't bought a rc all year, the wife has really clamped down, but I really wanted a Cat, but they sold out straight away and I bought a Turbo Scorpion instead, then I jumped on a Japanese auction site and picked up a mint original Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid, completely intact with original fet esc, am rec and 240s motor, I think that will be my 4wd belt system fix at the moment.....

C'mon guys, don't be harsh. This is what's it all about Schumacher. They always were ( and still are ) a little different:D.  My little girl of 1.5years is capable in putting a TT02 together but this is indeed another league - let's say, a little more challenging:D

• Like 2

Mine will be continued with at the weekend, I am away at the minute so I cannot check the battery pack fitment. I will do Sunday when I return home👍

13 hours ago, moffman said:

Thing is I've soldered lots of stuff before but this just don't work! The moment it twists it snaps off! And I've used different solder I'm obviously doing something wrong somewhere:unsure: and has anyone at Schumacher actually measured a 7.2 stick pack?, I have about 15 of them all different manufacturers and none come anywhere near fitting in the battery straps! This kit is slowly starting to get on my nerves:mellow:!

IMG_20170807_100315.jpg

Looks like a oversight of Schumacher. The battery clamps look like they are the  exact dimensions from back in 86 which were 1200mah cells which are a lot thinner batteries in the day.

• Like 1

Is it wierd that all the problems and hand fitting on these kind of makes me want one more?  I love complex kits and this appears to be along those lines.

• Like 2

I must admit I'm a little disappointed in this kit I had higher hopes but it has fought me from start to finish and putting the battery in this morning and finding the straps are to small was the final straw so to speak! It's bit lazy on Schumacher that they haven't even bothered to check if modern day equipment still fits:(!

3 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

C'mon guys, don't be harsh. This is what's it all about Schumacher. They always were ( and still are ) a little different:D.  My little girl of 1.5years is capable in putting a TT02 together but this is indeed another league - let's say, a little more challenging:D

I don't mind a challenging kit build one bit:rolleyes:  but there's nothing challenging about things that just don't fit or work that's just annoying:huh:!

I must admit the battery thing would drive me crazy.  I have enough problem with Tamiya's battery trays being too short for most modern lipo batteries.  One that wont fit a nimh stick pack is a whole other level of frustration.

• Like 2

Those little clips on the shocks are called internal snap rings. And yes there is a special tool for them that squeezes them tight to make them fit and then releases the clip. I've had a go with those little boogers in the automotive world, and hate them to no end! The real problem is not getting them to seat with the tool when assembling, but removing them in the future. Might as well buy new shocks in that case.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:13 AM, Robert5000 said:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moffman said:

It's bit lazy on Schumacher that they haven't even bothered to check if modern day equipment still fits:(!

if were talking about NiMh, i agree.
But the kit also features LiPo straps for the use of modern shorty's right out of the box. So i think Schumacher left the original Batt straps for those who want to build these for collection purpose (e.g Shelfers). To be honest, i'm very happy that they left the car as original as possible.  For runners, they offer enough option parts to make it handle modern motors & equipps. It's common use that you would have to switch to LiPo's nowadays, especially on a competition buggy.
The LiPo straps are also offered as an Carbon Fibre option part U7267 btw, i've ordered these right away from the start.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

Looks like a oversight of Schumacher. The battery clamps look like they are the  exact dimensions from back in 86 which were 1200mah cells which are a lot thinner batteries in the day.

Did you try a 1600Mah? That seems to be the smallest NiMh available now.