MadInventor

2017 best year yet for re-re's ?

Just looking at what's going to be coming out again this year:

BigWig

Top Force

Avante 2011 (Again)

Schumacher CAT XLS

and I wouldn't fall off my chair in amazement if we didn't see a variant of the Optima Mid being released either as the pro was released last year and the MIDs arch rival the CAT xls is making a comeback.

It's going to be a year of tough decisions .............

If I had to pick one at the moment, taking into account cost, it would probably be the Top Force, or the Mid if it appears, what are other peoples thoughts ?

• Like 1

Whoa, the Avante re-re-release is real?! Cost no object, such is my indoctrination into the Tamiya cult that I would take the Avante, especially as my current one needs parts. Oh, the joys of new gearbox and suspension parts...

Cost-wise, though, I would take a Grasshopper II ;)

6 minutes ago, Grastens said:

Whoa, the Avante re-re-release is real?!

So I'm led to believe, but the rumours are that it's Japan only release.....

Dang - although not as if Avante parts would get any cheaper with a re-re-release :P

Then if that were true, the Bigwig has fascinated me. I seem to recall some calling it the "Bigpig" as it was deemed to be a heavy model, but the implementation of rack-and-pinion steering and the potential for detailing (with the engine-block moulding) have been interesting points.

My uncle used to build static models extensively; outside of the first 50 models I see the Bigwig being one of his favourite models given the mechanical intrigue and avenues for static model-type detailing.

There is no decision, I need all four.

Yes, the best year for re releases so far, be even better if Tamiya dropped the 959 later in the year

• Like 1

I would consider a Bigwig, if they're still around after my period of austerity ends. I jumped on the Hotshot re-re, and then regretted it when the Boomerang came out a year later, because the Hotshot was something of a letdown as a runner. Cool, but weird and awkward. The Bigwig, being the final variant of that drivetrain, with four shocks, full bearings (?), and actual steering capabilities, would make me happier than the Hotshot did, I think.

Otherwise, it's going to take a Blazing Blazer or a Kyosho Javelin (or for Marui to get in the game) to get me to part with cash for any more re-res.

3 hours ago, MadInventor said:

BigWig

Top Force

Avante 2011 (Again) <<<< JAPAN ONLY 

Schumacher CAT XLS

and I wouldn't fall off my chair in amazement if we didn't see a variant of the Optima Mid being released either as the pro was released last year and the MIDs arch rival the CAT xls is making a comeback.

It's going to be a year of tough decisions .............

If I had to pick one at the moment, taking into account cost, it would probably be the Top Force, or the Mid if it appears, what are other peoples thoughts ?

Avante & Boomerang & Nova Fox say Japan only , so no we won't of sort . 

The resellers will , BUT at what price's ??? .

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I would consider a Bigwig, if they're still around after my period of austerity ends. I jumped on the Hotshot re-re, and then regretted it when the Boomerang came out a year later, because the Hotshot was something of a letdown as a runner. Cool, but weird and awkward. The Bigwig, being the final variant of that drivetrain, with four shocks, full bearings (?), and actual steering capabilities, would make me happier than the Hotshot did, I think.

Tell me about it <_< got so hyped THE HOTSHOT!!! was coming back, bought 3... and still haven't built any - ended up fixing up existing old ones.

Boomerang... same... cleaned up oldies with new parts instead.

SuperHotShot... ugh, trend continues.

Here piggy piggy piggy... where's the old Pigwig wreck gone to... :unsure:

Chassis & shell bit fussy and has too much unnecessary plastic; imho narrower Boomerang tub would run better, just give it dual front shocks.

Looks like the best so far. Better years to come I'm sure. And more re-re-res. Thundershot for one. And first re-re of Top Force Evo, Dyna Storm, etc. I'd like a Thunder Dragon too!

The CAT is really tempting.

The mid custom special is my favourite car, so would get a re re in a heart beat (although it would be my last heart beat if the wife found out! 🙄).

Although I'd have an Avante and an ultima..............

• Like 1

Funny to read this thread, I remember al the moaning here not long ago about the releases being weak:lol:. Lesson learnd - never count your chicken before they have hatched;)

• Like 2

It has been a good start to this year for re-re's (after all it has been a global gloomy year past:unsure:! ) But my personal dilemma is I want an easy year on my wallet and I love the bigwig and also the cat xls but I'm only going to get one but have no idea which one it's going to be!:unsure::rolleyes:!

Is the Turbo Scorpion cancelled? If not there's that to add to the list as well. So yeah, this has to rank up there as a great year for re-releases. And it's weird and kind of fun how Tamiya sort of fumbles the whole announcement and launch of the Bigwig and then they spring another Top Force run at us and top it off with Novafox, Avante, Boomerang et al. Wicked shame the latter appear to be Japanese market only, but when there's a will there's a way. 

The Cat xls is on top of my list, having never owned a Schumacher it'll be a real treat. So if it comes down to it I could be satisfied with sticking to a couple of Cat kits. 

Kyosho USA is still showing the Turbo Scorpion as coming soon. Probably a summer release at this point. I'm highly interested in a Top Force, if the price is right. So far my favorite re-release is the Egress.  I've owned the Re-re Hotshot, Super shot, Boomer, and just about all the 2wd buggies. Never had a Top Force, but it must be similar in performance to a Manta Ray which I had too at one point.

16 hours ago, MadInventor said:

BigWig

Top Force

Avante 2011 (Again)

Schumacher CAT XLS

It is a good one but the only model in that list that means anything to me is the BigWig, pre ordered.

Would like to see the Falcon, that was my first Tamiya in 86-87. Re release that, and I'm taking 2 :)

On 04/02/2017 at 10:17 PM, MadInventor said:

2017 best year yet for re-re's ?

Buggy

Buggy

Buggy

Buggy

Meh.

The Best Year for Re Res will be whatever year the 959/CelicaGrB is re released. :P

• Like 3

I'd love for the mid custom special to be re-released if only so I could get some spare parts for my original that I'm too scared to run in anger. 

Other than that I'd love for the falcon to be brought back out 

• Like 1

Will be the best year for re releases when they actually bring back some real nostalgic yesteryear cars ..no a re re re grasshopper just in different colours ,but a re release with real meat n bones .

10 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Juggernaut 2 and original Clod Buster needed for me to be the best year.

Indeed the Juggernaut 2 would be great ...crazing paying over 2 grand for a original nib ,I noticed the only one listed on fleabay has been there for well over a year with 30 watchers who refuse like myself to be extorted  !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prescient said:

Juggernaut 2 and original Clod Buster needed for me to be the best year.

Better than that, the sexy shiny black Juggernaut #1 with the later Jug #2 axle modification included :D

• Like 1