Sign in to follow this  
WillyChang

Racing SemiTruck on TT01E?

Is this the first ever Racing SemiTruck? 

toplarge.jpg

TEAM REINERT RACING MAN TGS (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS) 
Item No:58642 

RRP 12,800円

due 25/3/17

interesting, okaaaayyyy....

body looks lexan, it won't be 3spd tranny. I guess it's TT01 cheap... nice to get another SemiTruck body for touring car again since Yokomo made theirs about 10yrs ago

ah ok silly me, it's not the 1st, it's their 2nd! Never even saw the first one... :unsure:

TEAM HAHN RACING MAN TGS (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS)
Item No:58632 

came out 16/7/16 :blink:

toplarge.jpg

Same shell, different stickers.

Now, it is up to you for them to release a third based on demand ;) I for one would love to see a dozen of these tearing about on a circuit!

There is a racing class for these at Peterborough. They look very impressive in action!

• Like 1

We used to race the TL01 with the Carson Mercedes Atego race truck body in the late '90's  Different livery stickers were available, and I believe they released an MAN body later.  Very different from racing touring cars, and a lot of fun.

Later, the same company that owns Carson, made a toy RC Mercedes Atego Race Truck in the same scale (1/14) with a very detailed hard plastic body, but with lowgrade paper stickers. Being the same size as the Carson lexan body, the lexan body stickers fit though. Put one of these toys aside around 2001-2002 with the intention of putting the body on a proper chassis, but never got that far (yet).

Yokomo also had race truck bodies. Less scale looking than the Carson bodies though, probably for the benefit of better handling. 

I have one of these Carson bodies I modified to fit a TT-01 a couple years ago. It works but is much to heavy to race. Very good scale looks though

13 hours ago, salvine said:

Just FYI that Yokomo made a body a few years ago. Very similar.

yup, a decade ago now :P ran with it

DSC_2486s.jpg

DSC_2615s.jpg

It's generic truck afaik, not any particular marque nor model.

17 minutes ago, Prescient said:

I have always wondered why this was on a TT01E not a TT02 given they are recent releases. 

Completely agree. Admittedly, the TT-01 lives on in the XBS-series as the TT-01ES and since the first race truck, Tamiya has released the Diebels Alt Mercedes 190E on the TT-01E chassis too, but no others. Until the second race truck now, of course. I'm sure Tamiya have their logical reasons for it, but they are hard to imagine from outside.

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

I have always wondered why this was on a TT01E not a TT02 given they are recent releases. 

The answer is quite simple (we asked some people from Tamiya Headquarters at the Nuremberg Fair last year when the first one was presented), the TT-01 has longer available gear ratios to compensate the small diameter tires of those trucks.

Best regards
tamiyablog.com

thought those racing truck tyres looked bigger than touring car's :mellow: finished chassis has 14mm ground clearance? 

• Like 1

I do love these trucks, my local club now has a stock racing class for them also.  The rules are simple - stock motor, stock suspension, the only hop-ups allowed are ESC and bearings.

They do look great goings around our club track - the bounciness of the pogo shocks means they look a lot like the real thing.  Also the body, being made of 4 pieces stuck together with sticky foam tape, tends to lean around corners and when braking just like real suspended truck cabs do.  The only real issue is that they're quite floppy in the middle and sometimes look like they're going to fold up.  I might add some strengthening when I finally get around to finishing mine.

I found the shell a real pain to cut out - the lexan around the top of the cab was really thick, in the end I had to abandon scissors and craft knife and use side cutters to trim off the bulk and sandpaper to smooth off the finish.  Took an absolute age and put blisters on my fingertips.

I've seen someone add an interior from the big rig range - that's on my list as a future mod :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WillyChang said:

thought those racing truck tyres looked bigger than touring car's :mellow: finished chassis has 14mm ground clearance? 

Exactly.

Top     : 50454 Racing Slick Tire: 65mm dia. (Tamiya standard touring slicks)

Middle : 50419 Radial Tire: 67mm dia. (Tamiya standard touring tire)

Bottom: 51589 1/14 Racing Truck Tire: 71mm dia.

CIMG7815.JPG

8 hours ago, iluvmud said:

You guys making me want one more and more...... :( 

we do that :D

• Like 1

to a Texan... aren't racing prime movers SMALLER than your average family runabout, which I'm led to believe is a Furd F650? :rolleyes:

3320bf5085d0a3594f575a9e5e289a85.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

looks great, but with that extra weight you might be doing a continuous endo :)

On 06/02/2017 at 2:40 AM, Prescient said:

To me, it would have made some kind of sense to think about the more primitive technical basis for racing trucks as opposed to cars, but that is a rather contrived reason and those trucks pack quite a bit of sophisticated technology these days...

Looking forward to seeing that Scania transplant!

On 2/6/2017 at 11:11 AM, WillyChang said:

I can only transport what we had been told from people of Tamiya HQ last year in the Nuremberg fair, maybe at their local cup they are more limited to motors so need higher gearings than for normal touring classes? Who knows...

Best regards
tamiyablog.com

11 hours ago, DJTheo said:

maybe at their local cup they are more limited to motors so need higher gearings than for normal touring classes?

Maybe they wanted to run them on hi-torque low-rpm motors and use taller gearing, just like real trucks :D

Yes :D, the torque/power characteristics our DC RC car motors aren't anyway too far from a turbodiesel engine (max torque at zero/very low rpm which decreases significantly at high RPM) :D

Best regards
tamiyablog.com

14 hours ago, Grastens said:

To me, it would have made some kind of sense to think about the more primitive technical basis for racing trucks as opposed to cars, but that is a rather contrived reason and those trucks pack quite a bit of sophisticated technology these days...

Looking forward to seeing that Scania transplant!

I regularly race a TT01E against a field of (mostly) TT02s. They're very similar cars, and one isn't more advanced than the other. The major advantage to the TT02 is ease of maintenance. They come apart more easily, and in bigger chunks. TT01Es are a bit more contrived to work on. Also, a TT02 can take any standard touring car spur gear (if equipped with the optional Speed-Tuned gear set) and so, can run 64dp or 0.4 mod gears for a far wider choice of gears. 

On the flip side, a TT01E is lighter stock-for-stock, and tends to respond better to small setup changes. 

Both are equally floppy and cheap-as-chips to run though. :P 

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Maybe they wanted to run them on hi-torque low-rpm motors and use taller gearing, just like real trucks :D

they should just race the proper 3spd semitrucks!

that 3spd can shift on the fly, right? ^_^