loaba

Kyosho RB6.6

So I guess I put my first ever thread in precisely the wrong forum - my bad. :-(

Anyhoo - here's the new race buggy. Only Japanese car at the track where I race, so pretty much on my own in terms of setup.

Components

• Savox 1258tg digital steering servo
  • Futaba R304SB Rx
  • Turnigy 4200mah shorty lipo
  • Tekin RS Gen 2 ESC
  • Reedy Sonic 17.5t brushless motor
  • Jconcepts Dirt Webs Gold F& R
  • Mylaps lap counter

Only mod thus far is a Schelle Nova slipper assembly. The stock Kyosho pads were maddening to keep in place, that's really the number 1 reason I went with this mod. From a racing perspective, the Schelle unit features customization via pad combinations.

Previous ride was a Associated B5 and that's a nice car with some really cool features (like beefier bearing and front C-carriers etc.) but it was locked into it's rear-motor configuration. I could have gone with a B5M but I've heard so many good things about Kyosho, so I took the plunge.

From a build perspective, this car is pretty crazy. I opted for the 3-gear stand-up tranny/mid-ship arraignment. I'm given to understand that's the best setup for a small, tight, indoor clay track. Switching to a 4-gear tranny might be in the cards at a later date. Battery placement was a bit a pain, couldn't figure out how I wanted to do it. Finally settled on the pictured transverse arraignment in front of the ESC. Haven't had a chance to run the car yet (still awaiting the body at the painter), so no idea if this is optimal or not. There are front and rear ballast options available for the car, but I'm not a good enough driver to judge which is better right now.

Anyway - note to mods - if the earlier thread needs to be deleted, that's cool. Just didn't see the Kyosho forum till now.

rb6 c.jpg

• Like 1

They look a really capable buggy!

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of documented testing and data sheets available online to speed the setting up process.

It'll be a while before I'll get my hands on one, I'm still getting to grips with the RB5 lol

Petitrc has some good info on the RB6 and lots of setup sheets. I think most of that should transfer over to the 6.6? Forums are mainly in French, so that's no bueno. lol

Got two more planned mods: MIP Shiny Pucks system and Avid's longer rear wheel shafts. The Pucks system will reduce rotating mass and the longer wheel shafts will allow for Associated rear wheels to fit properly. In case anyone was curious, Associated front wheels are a direct fit (very cool to know, IMO).

As I stated earlier, I race at an Associated-heavy track so at least being able to borrow/swap wheels is a big plus.

Edit

Wooders28 - I have zero experience with Kyosho, so I have no idea what sets the 6.6 apart from either the -5 or -6 predecessors.

I'm not that well up on the RB6 + either tbh, other than the motor is a mid  set up.

The RB5 has served me well over the past few years, parts are cheap enough. A bulk head weight helped alot.

Nice job with the shell.

22 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I'm not that well up on the RB6 + either tbh, other than the motor is a mid  set up.

The RB5 has served me well over the past few years, parts are cheap enough. A bulk head weight helped alot.

Nice job with the shell.

Is the RB5 mid or rear?

Cool thing (and maddening at the same time) is that the I had 4 motor/tranny options to choose from. When manufactures switched to mid-motor seems like they went to 4-gear trannies at the same time. I was able to build this car with a 3-gear tranny - so I'll see how that goes.

Wish I could take credit for the paint job - no dice. I'm killer with a single can and that's about it.

Yeah, the RB5 is rear mounted, which is why it needs alot of weight up front. 

Sure you'll have fun trying the trans out!

I've had a go with airbrushing, turns out it's the masking that's the really hard bit! Lol

How have you found the buggy? Mine should be here in a few days, its secondhand from a guy who really knows his stuff at the track so its setup pretty well already. Can't wait to get it and have a play