Sign in to follow this  
fury_dice(2)

FF01/M03 transplant surgery

I have an FF01 Golf V5 on it's way to me (I hope) that I don't initially intend to run too much (body's too nice). My question is, can I swap out the oil-filled shocks and ball-diff to my M03 Mini? Shocks look like no problem, but wasn't sure about the diff. Will the friction shocks and gear diff go into the FF01?

Cheers, David

The oil-filled shocks and the balldiff of the FF01 will fit the M03, but you may have to remove or add some of the collars that go inside the dampers to adjust length, depending on how the previous owner (or is it unbuilt?) set the Golf up.

Also, the friction shocks of the M03 will fit the FF01. The M03 geardiff won't, as the gear is too wide for the FF01 gearbox. The FF01 gearbox is wide enough (standard Tamiya width inside of course), but there is a piece of plastic protruding down from the top (inside) of the gearbox on the left side (difficult to explain!) which interferes with the geardiff, but not with the narrower geardiff. If I remember correctly, the "piece of plastic" is a part of the thread holes for the damper mount, so I think you can cut it off (or rather out), but it will of course affect the damper mount, and maybe more important; originality! [8)]

Thanks miramar. Your knowledge of these things is encyclopaedic!

Hopefully the Golf is in good enough condition (bought already built via German ebay) to primarily be a shelf model, so it can sit there with no diff unless I want to run it.