DomtheRed

Motor cutting and jumping, steering intermittent

Hi can anyone help...got a newly built Honda city turbo with Tamiya TBLE02 ESC hooked to a Carson receiver, a reflex wheel pro 2, transmitter is stick style. Batteries are fresh in transmitter and fresh charged Nicad (it works as just in my grasshopper!) pic below shows setup. When I turn on it appears to connect, and then it may or may not throttle , and then cut out...then back on again, reverse if you flick the stick a couple of times. Steering can work, then stops again, then works...any ideas guys and gals?? Thanks, it would make my 8 yr old day....!

2017-02-07_18.54.02.jpg

I think so...esc has a green light...and out of the box it should be brushed anyway...will follow that up though...

I had to reset mine to brushed mode yesterday, it won't even spin the motor at all in brushless mode, the light just blinks. It sounds like what happens with a dead battery, but yours works in the Grasshopper. Do you have another receiver to try, as the esc won't have an effect on steering. Although, your esc could have a short in the battery wires, making power cut in and out.

Good luck. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you.

How old is your NiCad, and are you still using Tamiya (Molex) connectors. I've had several connectors develop loose connections and they work intermittently, I've converted everything over to Deans connectors.

Check voltage of the nicad. If one cell is weak, pack voltage might be dropping enough to trigger ESC's low voltage cutoff. It should flash some LED usually.

Otherwise it's a bad connection, check the wire to RX. 

I've set up several of the Carson Reflex Wheel Pro transmitters and receivers, both with LCD and without LCD, old style no-BEC receiver and new style BEC-receiver.

First of all, please make sure the region switch (France / rest of the world) on both devices is set the same. Often times when buying transmitter and receiver seperately, the switch position may differ. Can also sometimes happen when buying a whole transmitter/receiver set.

Second, check the battery voltage or use another fresh battery.

Maybe someone else can verify this but I was told at the LHS that nimh batteries require the low voltage cutoff on my stock Tamiya ESC to be turned off. Is it the same for nicad?  When my truck was stock it would run good for 2-3 minutes on a brand new fully charged battery then start sputtering or stop responding.  Turning that off fixed it. 

Yes. Nicads probably worse than NiMH, their volts dip more on high current drain. Good NiMH would have lower internal resistance so volts don't dip as much. As cells age, their IR would increase too.

Plus a 6c NiMH is around 7.6-7.8V fresh off the charger (older cells higher) whereas a 2s lipo is 8.4V. So you're already behind the 8-ball even from the start.