Sign in to follow this  
guitarman

Newby Needs Advice

Hi Guys

I have just joined the forum and I need to ask a few questions please.

My first car kit is the Tamiya Pajera Rally which I have not started yet.

Do I need to upgrade any of the stock parts if so which ones and where do I get them from?

Also looking on youtube there are lots of different bodies people fit to a chassis.

How do I know if a chosen body will fit my chassis and are the bodies available for the cc01 kits.

My second kit will be an on road model there are a lot to choose from.

I will not be racing any of the models they are just for the pleasure of building them and running

them round the garden and in the house.

Thank you

Alan

Hi Guitarman, like you I am also new to RC cars, after extensive research, I built my Pajero rally with a set of ball races, in place of the plastic bearings, as advised on ALL forums.

Best place to buy is RC Bearings, UK based and they know bearings.

Everything else is suck it and see, mine now has a homebrew four lingk rear suspension setup, and a bit more steering via forum advice and knowledge...

I would advise bearings essential, and everything else, replace with better parts when needed........most aftermarket hop-ups are bling and not really needed.

Tyres in the kit are pretty good if you want to stay on hard surface, but they are too hard for crawling, even light stuff, they will let you down, KRT Kongs are the tyre of choice for immediate improvements, around 96mm are about the limit before body mods are needed. Even 96 will strike the body on full articulation.

Next upgrade should be a good higher turn motor......do your research and you will find a lot of info for the CC01.

Best of luck, the CC01 is a great trail, light crawler rig and you will be surprised at where you can go with it.

My advice would be to build it straight from the kit (with the exception of proper bearings as pointed out above), drive it, get used to it, then see how you feel.  Only you know how you're going to use it and what you want from it.  It's your first car, don't get sucked into the 'must upgrade everything' game yet.

You can always swap parts later to meet your needs, and add another body later when you see what works on other people's cars.  Spending time on here will give you some ideas as to what works, and it'll highlight things you didn't know you wanted until you saw them on here.

Built 4 CC01s last month.

If you're just pottering around your house, don't really need much hopups other than full bearings and a steel pinion.

For the cars that will see more running, I add a ballbearing'd alloy steering rack. Lots of alloy hopups available, don't think they help enough to be worth adding. CVA shocks work perfectly fine when built correctly, I haven't bothered changing to alloy shocks yet.

Go google & discover what different bodies T has sold the CC01 with, both past & present. They've been done in both "hardbody" styrene (like the Pajero Metaltop Wide) or Lexan (like the Pajero Rally Sport). 

Just be aware the CC01 uses various different ways of mounting the body, so when you change your shell to another T model you'll need to source the related bits too.

CC01s are also done in 2 (and a half) different Wheelbase lengths, short eg both Pajeros and Long eg FJ Cruiser (and Medium, only the FJ40 LandCruiser). Each has a different length tailshaft...

Enthusiasts (aka "cwarlers") also DIY mounting any suitable bodyshell from any other toy RC or static model. The flexibility on wheelbase is handy for customisation, just make your own mounts & links to suit.

HI Guys

Many thanks for the replies and advice.

I should have said I already got the sealed bearings from RCBearings.

I have been looking round the forum for the last hour and I see a lot of interesting things.

I think your advice about building it stock to begin with is a good idea so this is what I will do.

When I look at all the models available both on and off road I want one of everything but I will

have to walk before I run.

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks WillyChang I will do that.

Also I just ordered a Steel Pinion Gear so the build can start when it arrives.

Alan

Here is a thread about a CC-01 Pajero belonging to a colleague of mine:

I have seen the car first-hand, and can attest to how well it performs - makes me want to add one to my fleet too!

I was chatting to said colleague about vital upgrades, and he pretty much echoed what has been said in this thread already - bearings and a steel pinion are essential as they are with most Tamiyas and a ballraced steering assembly is very handy as the stock one binds in places and is sloppy in others. Kongs are also his tyre of choice as the stock items are very hard.

Another upgrade he mentioned as very much worthwhile was a set of metal wheel hexes, as the stock plastic ones go brittle in cold weather and are prone to cracking even in light use.

yeah I put alloy wheel hexes, I like clamp-on ones that don't fall off ^_^ but if you never take off your wheels, cracked hexes still work fine & stay insitu.

because I also trim off the lock-limiting nubs on the c-hub, the extra lock available to the knuckle gives plain dogbones a hard life so I replace with Universals or CVDs... I misappropriate them from the TA03 stash :ph34r: