Kalameja

Tamiya Vintage Wheels and Tires

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:28 AM, Biz73 said:

I don't know how thick the Brat wheels are, but with FAV wheels the nylon on the axle nut barely touches the threads, especially with the taper at the very end of the axle. It might be fine, but I didn't feel confident that it would lock. I got a set of Team CRP stainless wheel hardware(part #5140) and it came with thinner axle nuts. You can just slightly sand the FAV wheels to make them thinner.

20170210_1824210.jpeg

Aiya I had this problem today using Brat wheels on my Hornet today... I'm sure I had tightened down the locking wheel nut as normal and yet during a run and crash/tumble the wheel nut had worked loose and came off.. all caught on camera here ;p

Anyone know where to get just the low profile wheel nuts?

I'm using the Brat/FAV/RR tires on a set off one piece alloy rims. They look great but the rear tires continually slide off the rims.  I'm also using RZ motor which rips! That could have something to do with it.I tried some clear silicone but that didn't hold. What is everyone else's experience with this issue? Super glue perhaps for a tighter firmer seal? 

Check your local Ace Hardware for metric nuts and screws...  The one by me had tons...  I just went in with my car one afternoon and fitted some until I found some I liked...  I ended up with wing-nuts for my Frog, and normal nylocks for my other cars...  

Terry

On 09/02/2017 at 10:06 PM, Static Age said:

This is the cheapest & easiest solution. The other option is hex adaptors which will allow you to fit a huge choice of modern wheels & tyres. Ruins the look of the vintage buggy's in my opinion. 

I'm having terrible trouble finding these adapters. Do they have an inbuilt bearing or something? 

The ones I've seen have grub screws or pins that lock them to the axle. Doesn't that make them stationary? As in, can't spin?? 

I was referring to the rear wheels & you need tamiya part No: 53913

You can get front wheel hex adapters with built in bearings so they work on the tamiya stub axles. Not sure how good they are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Tamiya-DT-03-DT03-Aluminum-Front-Wheel-Hex-Adapters-w-Bearings-DT3010F-Red-/232197131342?hash=item3610070c4e:g:67UAAOSwPCVX3D3z

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Static Age said:

I was referring to the rear wheels & you need tamiya part No: 53913

You can get front wheel hex adapters with built in bearings so they work on the tamiya stub axles. Not sure how good they are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Tamiya-DT-03-DT03-Aluminum-Front-Wheel-Hex-Adapters-w-Bearings-DT3010F-Red-/232197131342?hash=item3610070c4e:g:67UAAOSwPCVX3D3z

By George they look great! I think I'll try them on my DT02 or DT03 unless someone quickly suggests otherwise?

On 06/03/2017 at 4:26 PM, Jason1145 said:

Aiya I had this problem today using Brat wheels on my Hornet today... I'm sure I had tightened down the locking wheel nut as normal and yet during a run and crash/tumble the wheel nut had worked loose and came off.. all caught on camera here ;p

Anyone know where to get just the low profile wheel nuts?

Just an update on my issue above... while waiting for some low profile nuts I have used some blue loctite to keep the wheel nuts on, I have since clocked my Hornet at 32.3 MPH and the nuts are holding good but will need to some more stop start and twisty turning stuff before I declare a win.