Kalameja

Upgrading to 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver questions.

So I've been running my old Futaba 70mhz transmitter and receiver with a new Tble-02 ESC.  I've been getting tons of interference with the transmitter and receiver so the car will speed off at times. Either there is inference between the ESC and transmitter or there is just too much noise out there in the neighborhood with all the other frequencies bouncing around out there Probably time to upgrade to. 2.4GhZ transmitter and receiver. 

So for my education would you all give some suggestions for a good set up for a new 2.4ghz radio? I'm sorta partial to Futaba but only because that's what I've always had. I'm open to new manufactures. 

I plan on build another Hornet and probably a Sand Scorcher or Super Champ so they will be getting new 2.4ghz radios for sure. So whatever suggestions you all have that would be helpful thanks! 

One other concern, I have several original Futaba servos that are in perfect working condition that I could reuse in my new builds. The issues however is that they are so old they have the original 3 pin male connector at the end. I see that all new receivers, ESCs, and servos now have the 3 pin connection reversed. The receiver is now the male and all that connect to it have the female end.  Would someone suggest an adapter? Or just purchase new servos? 

I did find an adapter that allowed me to us the new Tble-02 ESC with the old Futaba receiver but I don't think that connector will fit into a new receiver? Or will it? Pictures attached.  

image.jpegimage.jpeg

You shouldn't need an adapter to plug the TBLE02 into a modern receiver. The whole industry has pretty well standardized on Futaba/JR style plugs (usually called "Futaba J plugs"), so things are much simpler than they were in the 80s in that regard. And the TBLE02 does have a built-in BEC regulator, so no worries there.

2.4ghz radios are definitely the way to go. One thing to keep in mind when you're shopping is that you have to use the same brand of receiver as the transmitter you have. You can't mix-and-match like you can with the old AM radio gear. So before you decide on a radio, check the prices of extra receivers if you want to use the same radio for more than one car. Futaba receivers can get pricey, and they keep changing their technology, so stuff isn't always backwards-compatible. Personally, I like Spektrum or Tactic brand radios, but everyone here will give you their own opinion. I like Tactic because their receivers have no external antenna, much nicer for scale builds without that gigantic whip sticking out of the car. The only one I would avoid is Traxxas; their menu/setup system is complex and fussy and you have to keep going back to the instruction manual for even the simplest things.

For the servo, you have a couple of different options. You could order an adapter that goes the other way (G-plug to J-plug) and plug your old servos right in, but new Futaba S3003 servos (modern equivalent of your old S28) are only like $10 each, if you wanted to upgrade to all-new electronics. Might be worth it just to eliminate all possibilities of old equipment causing glitching. Servos don't often cause a glitch, but it's not impossible.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the info!!!! 

I will use the my Tble-02 in my new Hornet build, along with a  Futaba FUTK3100 3PRKA 3-Channel FHSS 2.4GHz Radio w/ R203GF Receiver.  Not a bad price for $70 with receiver. Additional receivers are only $30.  Not bad in my opinion. 

Im going to use a TEU-104bk with my older Futaba receiver in the first build. I've got an adaptor for that so should work just fine.  Do you know if that ESC also has a built in BEC? I'm hoping that this ESC causes less interference with the older Futaba receiver than the the tble-02 might have been causing. 

I have on order one G to J servo adapter so I'll give it a go, but for my Sand Scorcher or Super Champ I'll probably grab a new servo. 

Thanks again! You all make getting back into the hobby so much more fun!

I've not long switched to 2.4 after my Futaba Attack R gave up the ghost.

I wanted sticks so went for a 'Tamco tac 330',  a re branded 'Core CR151' for £50. Can bind upto 20 receivers and includes all kinds of electronic witch craft, ABS,throttle curves, EPA ,the manual is 24 pages long!?! 

I've just bought new micro receivers, which where £15 each, so not too expensive.

20170212_215244.jpg

Plug wise, you can buy new plugs (I got mine off ebay, as I broke a wire pulling it out) and are crimp on, so no soldering, but the new receivers are the same as the Attack R plugs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kalameja said:

Im going to use a TEU-104bk with my older Futaba receiver in the first build. I've got an adaptor for that so should work just fine.  Do you know if that ESC also has a built in BEC? I'm hoping that this ESC causes less interference with the older Futaba receiver than the the tble-02 might have been causing. 

Be careful, TEU101-104BK don't have BEC afaik... they have a separate 2-pin red JST plug to go into RX 'batt' port feeding it full input battery voltage - it expects RX to have BEC builtin there instead.

You can tack on a BEC inline, between red plug & RX.

TRO-01-BEC-System.jpg

• Like 1

Since you plan to get another scorcher/hornet going also, why not spend a bit more and get a Futaba 3pl instead of the 3prka? That way you can just buy receivers and run all the cars you want off the one digital radio.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I've not long switched to 2.4 after my Futaba Attack R gave up the ghost.

I wanted sticks so went for a 'Tamco tac 330',  a re branded 'Core CR151' for £50. Can bind upto 20 receivers and includes all kinds of electronic witch craft, ABS,throttle curves, EPA ,the manual is 24 pages long!?! 

I've just bought new micro receivers, which where £15 each, so not too expensive.

20170212_215244.jpg

Plug wise, you can buy new plugs (I got mine off ebay, as I broke a wire pulling it out) and are crimp on, so no soldering, but the new receivers are the same as the Attack R plugs.

This is the stuff I went for when I went 2.4GHz. I was getting interference from using brushless motors, no problems now with the 2.4GHz. I went for the core rc branded stuff (looks the same as the blue rx above but with a different sticker simply because there was no stock of the tamco kit at the time and I wanted to buy from the UK. I also went for a stick system as I can't drive the side wheel TXs, and liked the option for having a 3rd channel on a switch, and the programmable memory. I did have to send back 1 transmitter as the throttle stick would not return to centre (Felt like there was no spring attached), but other than that no issues.

• Like 2

Funnily enough @MadInventor , I wanted the core , but fusion only had the Tamco!

I also sent the 1st one back as it arrived with the steering over to the left , not centralising and no spring!?!? 

I bought one of these to keep it in now.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191687379221

The Tamco and Core are exactly the same, just with different stickers, the pic is the stock receiver as a size reference to the micro receiver. 

• Like 1

I tell ya what. The Flysky GT3C has been a godsend. That little booger cost me $45 USD and at $8 per receiver, I'm running five cars off this thing with no interference. Best thing I've discovered in ages thanks to TC members. My runners all use 2.4 but the shelf queens are still running 75mhz gear and can move once or twice a year :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Be careful, TEU101-104BK don't have BEC afaik... they have a separate 2-pin red JST plug to go into RX 'batt' port feeding it full input battery voltage - it expects RX to have BEC builtin there instead.

TRO-01-BEC-System.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! So I ordered a TEU-104k darn it.  I was hoping it would have less interference with the older RX. So I need to use the adapter you describe between to ESC and the RX as a bridge and plug into the battery port of the RX?

yeah it's worthwhile insurance

most don't have red JST socket like pic above, you can either install your own JST socket to the bare wire or just snip & solder direct to the ESC's leads. 

Have bought BECs from many sources, all are decent these days (not like early days where it was just a 5V voltage regulator chip, your car could still runaway when nicad dropped below 5.8V <_<) including cheapies from HobbyKing... HK sell JST plug sets too so order it together if needs be.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WillyChang said:

TRO-01-BEC-System.jpg

I think I understand now. The TEU-104k has an additional 2 pin JST plug that is designed to plug into a receiver that has a Built in BEC.  So I can use a BEC inline as a bridge betwee the 2 pin JST plug and the "batt" port of the RX? Correct? 

Have a link by chance?

Here's link to HK's page: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/sbec-ubec-regulator-1/sbec-ubec.html

big choice... for car I usually prefer something that outputs 6V (rather than 5V) and 1.5-2A is plenty for 1 std servo. 

Bigger current capacity & adjustability usually means bigger unit & price <_< so the smallest available that can handle input of just 2s is more than enough. No need adjustability as I don't run higher volts. 

• Like 1

I think I found one on eBay. I'm sure I could snip and solder but I got one with a j black end and JST red end.  Just to be safe.  Thanks again for the help! 

which one did u find?

i could use some plug&play BECs too, CBF'd soldering when I don't hafta:) 

Do NOT forget to undo the red wire from the ESC to the receiver if your using an external BEC, you will fry everything. I bought a castle BEC to use with my 104. 

On 2/15/2017 at 11:50 PM, Macinnis said:

Do NOT forget to undo the red wire from the ESC to the receiver if your using an external BEC, you will fry everything. I bought a castle BEC to use with my 104. 

I thought the red wire is what you connect berween the BEC and then to the ESC. 

I think he's talking about the red wire on the signal lead from ESC to RX Ch2 slot.

On a ESC *with* BEC (which would power RX thru same 1 lead), if you wanted to run a separate extra BEC (extra volts, extra current etc) then you'd want to neuter the old BEC so it didn't clash.

But on the TEUs I don't think the red's connected to anything. Definitely if you only connect that lead to RX Ch2 & nothing else, nothing works 🤓 I certainly don't bother disconnecting it when I plug a BEC inline to my TEU101BKs. 

This is how my Big Bear is wired.  The Tamiya 104 ESC white/red/black power lead has the red wire unplugged and taped off.  The blue BEC under the switch is soldered to the inside of the Tamiya battery plug so it is receiving its power directly from the battery. The brown/orange/yellow wire from the BEC is supplying the power to the receiver with lower voltage.  Normally the ESC would power the receiver but you can see that wire is removed.

If anyone notices that my receiver is already stamped BEC, it is, but this setup was in my Bush Devil 2 until I replaced the electronics.  This receiver originally required a battery pack with 4 AA batteries which I did away with use this setup since it was already soldered.

IMG_1905.JPG

• Like 1

I'll post shortly what I concocted. It was working fine for about the first 15 minutes but then the throttle would shut off when I'd apply max forward throttle. 

1 hour ago, Kalameja said:

I'll post shortly what I concocted. It was working fine for about the first 15 minutes but then the throttle would shut off when I'd apply max forward throttle. 

Low voltage cutoff needs to be turned off?

• Like 1