Jump to content
Munchbox

Wheels and tires for a Neo Fighter

Recommended Posts

OK im gearing up for a Neo Fighter build. I have a 19t steel pinion and ball bearing set on the way already but I'm wondering about a cheap and cheerful set of street tires and wheels. I do most of my running on asphalt/scree and don't want to ruin the knobbies on the first run. To begin with I'll be sticking with the stock motor setup with the exception of the 19t pinion for a little more kick but eventually may go with a 9t or lower brushless setup.

Just rears would probably be OK but it probably wouldn't hurt to go street tires up front as well, especially after motor upgrades. I'd like to stick to the stock size in back, but will want to match them up front if I add new fronts as well.

Any other must have upgrades for the DT03 that I'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey that looks great! What kind of wheels and tires are those? If you put the rears on the front would the offset be off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah OK I see.. probably just have to find a pair of wheels the proper size and similar to the rear.. I've actually had some luck on ebay, though they are from international sellers, $8 a pair shipped and they're the right size for the stock wheels. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another alternativ from Carson, All Terrain 2WD Wheel-SetCarson-All-Terrain-2WD-Reifen-Set-4-Stk-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can get just the rear Tires they fit 2.0 Manta ray rims or the DT01 rear.

Hinterreifen-All-Terrain-2-Stk-DT-01-DT-

The Hotshot rears also fit the 2.0 rims (lower left

PZRMl7xRvLq_NY0bGwUCHj7Vx6Ex2TtFdLCjllXV

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure but they look like the front is hex fitting not bearing. 

I have a DT03 and got a street set of wheels for exactly this reason. I went for Schumacher RT1 tires with matching medium inserts. You can mount these on any 2.2" 2wd buggy wheels. I ended up getting a Schumacher Flexlite rear and a tamiya dish front to get the bearing fitting and keep the look vaguely matching. Here's the links

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6613.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6614.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6734.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6738.html

Any of these wheels will work.

Rear:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996015&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[92]=877&MSAttributeID[63]=872&MSAttributeID[103]=1106

Front:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996015&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[92]=1165&MSAttributeID[63]=872

Or any of the other front Tamiya wheels.

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Munch no those look like 12mm hex wheels front and rear, you still need bearing fitment front wheels.

I did however just buy a set of bearing to 12mm hex adapters meant for the DT03 but I have fitted them to my DT02 which has the same front axles I think.

Now I have a nice set of 4 x 12mm hex wheels fitted for my Nissan Titan DT02, the only issue was the wheels centre hole needed reaming out a bit larger to fit over the axle but this doesn't matter as they then snug onto the 12mm hex and are held true with no wobble.

 

Will post some pics later showing them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Munch no those look like 12mm hex wheels front and rear, you still need bearing fitment front wheels.

I did however just buy a set of bearing to 12mm hex adapters meant for the DT03 but I have fitted them to my DT02 which has the same front axles I think.

Now I have a nice set of 4 x 12mm hex wheels fitted for my Nissan Titan DT02, the only issue was the wheels centre hole needed reaming out a bit larger to fit over the axle but this doesn't matter as they then snug onto the 12mm hex and are held true with no wobble.

 

Will post some pics later showing them.

Interested in these front hex converters. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason a link to this would be awesome. 

The wheels and tires I listed look great for what I'm trying to do and they basically cost beans... 😀 

I've also been trying to find some hard measurements on the stock DT03 wheels. Anyone willing to break out the old calipers? I'm looking for the width of the rim and the diameter of where the tire bead sits..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Here's the wheels fitted with the hex adapter

FullSizeRender_zpstsq33nup.jpg

How do you find those adapters?? because if i'm not mistaken doesn't the wheel nut rub on the face of the wheel and cause some drag?? I have some in my parts draw but was wondering if you had some special trick with them.

7 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chicken Man said:

How do you find those adapters?? because if i'm not mistaken doesn't the wheel nut rub on the face of the wheel and cause some drag?? I have some in my parts draw but was wondering if you had some special trick with them.

 

I had to ream the wheel centre bore hole out to get them to fit over the axle and clear the threaded par, there is about 1mm play allowing them to spin freely, the nut cant reach the wheel face it stops where the threaded part ends and the wheel axle widens out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I had to ream the wheel centre bore hole out to get them to fit over the axle and clear the threaded par, there is about 1mm play allowing them to spin freely, the nut cant reach the wheel face it stops where the threaded part ends and the wheel axle widens out.

Ok sweet I will have to take another look at them thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2017 at 3:04 PM, waterbok said:

Another alternativ from Carson, All Terrain 2WD Wheel-SetCarson-All-Terrain-2WD-Reifen-Set-4-Stk-

Do you know whether or not these would be any good for a df03? Being 2wd not sure if the fronts would be too narrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 7:57 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Not sure but they look like the front is hex fitting not bearing. 

I have a DT03 and got a street set of wheels for exactly this reason. I went for Schumacher RT1 tires with matching medium inserts. You can mount these on any 2.2" 2wd buggy wheels. I ended up getting a Schumacher Flexlite rear and a tamiya dish front to get the bearing fitting and keep the look vaguely matching. Here's the links

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6613.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6614.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6734.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6738.html

Any of these wheels will work.

Rear:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996015&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[92]=877&MSAttributeID[63]=872&MSAttributeID[103]=1106

Front:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9960&SubCategoryID=996015&MSAttributeID[58]=713&MSAttributeID[92]=1165&MSAttributeID[63]=872

Or any of the other front Tamiya wheels.

Hope that helps.

Hi Cy. Helpful info as always. How do you get on with the RT1 tyres on the road? How are they wearing. I'm after some some road tyres for my df03 and don't want to break the bank doing it. The front that came with the car aren't lasting well on road/tarmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Hi Cy. Helpful info as always. How do you get on with the RT1 tyres on the road? How are they wearing. I'm after some some road tyres for my df03 and don't want to break the bank doing it. The front that came with the car aren't lasting well on road/tarmac

I don't use them too much these days but the green compound I have are lasting well. Still plenty of life despite a lot of wheel spinning. They definitely need the foam inserts to go with them. If you want proper grip the B30 is sticky. No idea on life but the rears I tried were just stuck to the floor with 3300kv and 7.2 nimh. I put the gree back on for less understeer and more skids. Still got the barely used B30 if you fancy a punt on them? PM me if you are interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I don't use them too much these days but the green compound I have are lasting well. Still plenty of life despite a lot of wheel spinning. They definitely need the foam inserts to go with them. If you want proper grip the B30 is sticky. No idea on life but the rears I tried were just stuck to the floor with 3300kv and 7.2 nimh. I put the gree back on for less understeer and more skids. Still got the barely used B30 if you fancy a punt on them? PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer but it's not grip so much that I'm after but a Harder wearing tyre. The fronts on my df03 spin up a fair bit. Rears are fine. Good to know the greens are lasting ok. Will add them to my list of potentials.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22.4.2018 at 9:46 PM, mman2005 said:

Do you know whether or not these would be any good for a df03? Being 2wd not sure if the fronts would be too narrow

Narrow is not the problem but the front rims are for 2wd with bearings not 12mm hex, so wont work

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...