Jason1145

Wanted - A working/running Sonic Fighter

As per the title, ideally a roller that is fully working and good to go as I have all the electrics.

UK based.

What have you got? 

Hi Jason,

I am living in the Netherlands and recently spotted a SF on our Dutch version of EBay called Marktplaats ("Marketplace"). I did not buy this buggy since I am not such a SF fanboy myself.
Although it does not fit your criteria since it is a car with electronics and outside UK, I can share an url.

Is it allowed to post a direct link in this topic?
Can help you with translations if needed.

note: I am not affiliated to the seller.

5 hours ago, Flarvb said:

Hi Jason,

I am living in the Netherlands and recently spotted a SF on our Dutch version of EBay called Marktplaats ("Marketplace"). I did not buy this buggy since I am not such a SF fanboy myself.
Although it does not fit your criteria since it is a car with electronics and outside UK, I can share an url.

Is it allowed to post a direct link in this topic?
Can help you with translations if needed.

note: I am not affiliated to the seller.

Hi Flarv, yes please share the link I'm sure it's allowed.... I was not a fan out the SF before but lately it has won me over somehow! ;p

I just searched Marketplatts and found 2 SF on there.. was it one of these?

1st for 60 Euro

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/modelbouw-radiografisch-auto-s/m1128969181-vintage-tamiya-sonic-fighter-rc-1987.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr&pos=1

Second for 120 Euro (has new in Box Bodyset with decal sheet I think?

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/hobby-en-vrije-tijd/modelbouw-auto-s-en-voertuigen/m1119559412-tamiya-58071-sonic-fighter.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr&pos=2

6 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

It was the first one, 60 euros.
The seller wrote following remarks:
Nette staat, geen scheuren of gebroken delen. Weinig meegespeeld
= Nice condition, no cracks or broken parts. Did not play a lot with the car.

Wrt the 2nd link you posted, I doubt the car is still availabe, it was posted almost 2 months ago and no pictures.
Remark of the seller:
"Wie geeft deze mooie oude Tamiya Sonic Fighter een nieuw leven? Met NIB bodyset"
= Who will give this nice old T SF a new life? With NIB body (set)

I will check availability and what NIB Bodyset means.

The fact the seller is mentioning NIB tells me he is probably more into Vintage RC than the seller of the first SF. Same goes for pricing prob.

Update: 

Just heard back from one seller; 2nd car is stil available and seller tells that with the NIB body and decals the car can be rebuild "as new". 

Seller will try to add more pictures in the ad.

On my iPhone, I see a picture. Windows of not. 

1 hour ago, Flarvb said:

It was the first one, 60 euros.
The seller wrote following remarks:
Nette staat, geen scheuren of gebroken delen. Weinig meegespeeld
= Nice condition, no cracks or broken parts. Did not play a lot with the car.

Wrt the 2nd link you posted, I doubt the car is still availabe, it was posted almost 2 months ago and no pictures.
Remark of the seller:
"Wie geeft deze mooie oude Tamiya Sonic Fighter een nieuw leven? Met NIB bodyset"
= Who will give this nice old T SF a new life? With NIB body (set)

I will check availability and what NIB Bodyset means.

The fact the seller is mentioning NIB tells me he is probably more into Vintage RC than the seller of the first SF. Same goes for pricing prob.

Flarv do you think the first one for €60 will post to U.K.?

SF is still available. 

Message from seller:

"Hij heeft geen beschadigingen, alleen aan de onderzijde wat lichte gebruikssporen verder in een nette gebruikte staat. Sommige stickers laten op de hoekjes wat los"

Quick translation: no damage, only some minor marks on bottom. Overall in a good/nice used condition. Some decals are starting to get a bit loose at corners. 

I have asked seller if he is willing to ship to U.K. if you pay him upfront. Will let you know.

Probably you have to do a LHD to RHD conversion... ;-)

Well it looks and sounds good to me, please keep me updated , thanks for your help.

Have a spare Sonic Fighter unbuilt NIB .

Buggy is all there but missing a couple of the RC bits .

The kit is missing the Battery Charger and Battery...along with the blister also think the Transmitter blister has been a separate purchase and included in the kit.

Just spotted a NIB on Fleabay but its seems to be missing the body ...not really a nib without the body .

click for the big picture

click for the big picture

Hi Swarm, how come your box art shows the car facing the opposite way to all the other ones I've seen?

The RC bits aren't a problem if missing, I think a NIB might be a project I don't have enough time for, but if it's cheap enough I'll take it on.

PM your price.

8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Well it looks and sounds good to me, please keep me updated , thanks for your help.

Seller is willing to ship to the U.K. but needs your help in finding a cost efficient way for shipping (Dutch Post, DHL, GLS etc)

I will PM you his email address and step out from here. 

But pls keep us updated on the developments ;-)

Still looking for a running/ roller / not broken Sonic Fighter in the UK.

I have the chance to buy a decent one from Holland but not too sure about sending payment and hoping it arrives. If I send it as a PayPal gift then I'm sure I can't claim compensation in the event of a no show? 

Could I send it as PayPal payment for goods and put in description what it's for then I'm covered?

Unfortunately PayPal is not (yet) a common and broadly accepted payment method in The Netherlands.

I hope you will find one soon in the UK.   

...btw the other Sonic Fighter you found on Marktplaats.nl (with the NIB body shell) is now @ 115 euro ;-)
and i have to admit, the more I look at these Jet type models the more i like the LOL

• Like 1

I think this idea buying off site is going gold on me, no worries though, I'm actually reconsidering one of these as my next purchase anyway. Thanks for your help again Flarvb.

On 26/02/2017 at 8:14 PM, Jason1145 said:

I have the chance to buy a decent one from Holland but not too sure about sending payment and hoping it arrives. If I send it as a PayPal gift then I'm sure I can't claim compensation in the event of a no show? 

Could I send it as PayPal payment for goods and put in description what it's for then I'm covered?

Sending PayPal Gift anywhere is not a good idea unless you totally trust the recipient or have good reason to believe they won't turn you over - There is no comeback and no protection offered by Paypal as that's what part of their fees are for.

Paypal Gift is no safer (for the buyer) than a Western Union transfer or posting cash.

Sometimes sellers ask for gift payments to avoid the Paypal fees, so just add those to your payment - that way the seller gets 100% of the asking price and you pay a couple of percent yourself as insurance.

3 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Sending PayPal Gift anywhere is not a good idea unless you totally trust the recipient or have good reason to believe they won't turn you over - There is no comeback and no protection offered by Paypal as that's what part of their fees are for.

Paypal Gift is no safer (for the buyer) than a Western Union transfer or posting cash.

Sometimes sellers ask for gift payments to avoid the Paypal fees, so just add those to your payment - that way the seller gets 100% of the asking price and you pay a couple of percent yourself as insurance.

I have paid someone as a gift for say £20, they receive the full £20 but it costs me, say, £20.75, as in, I pay the fees my end, this gete me the protectuion I think as you said.

I had no idea there was a way for me to avoid fees this way.

On 16.2.2017 at 6:54 AM, Jason1145 said:

Hi Swarm, how come your box art shows the car facing the opposite way to all the other ones I've seen?

The RC bits aren't a problem if missing, I think a NIB might be a project I don't have enough time for, but if it's cheap enough I'll take it on.

PM your price.

This box-art is from the so called "complete kit" with transmitter unit and charger etc. kit # 57002

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=85229&sid=15803

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I have paid someone as a gift for say £20, they receive the full £20 but it costs me, say, £20.75, as in, I pay the fees my end, this gete me the protectuion I think as you said.

I had no idea there was a way for me to avoid fees this way.

No, if you pay some fees when sending a gift it's usually down to the funding choice (using a credit card, for instance) or a charge to send foreign currency - Paypal charges you as there's an option as to who should pay those charges and you've chosen you.

If you use Paypal Gift you have absolutely no protection with Paypal, it's not for buying goods, hence 'gift' - You're using their system to gift/give away money, not transact a purchase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dangerseeker said:

@Jason1145 I spotted a used Sonic Fighter at a local online marketplace:

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/tamiya-sonic-fighter-gebraucht-194778279/

The seller states that the car does not work!!

if you are still interested in the SF I will gladly contact the seller. 

Danger that is such a great find thank you but i had already reconsidered that whim to get a Sonic Fighter... and now seeing the one you found it has tugged at my heart strings again but no I can't give in!

Sorry to waste your time but honestly that looks a beautiful SF there... if it was in the U.K. For £50 posted to me I'd buy it now - but the sorting out with a foreign buyer and extra postage etc is too much effort for this whim just right now. :)

no problem at all. i was considering to buy it myself as the chassis of my sf broke (as it always does) but i managed to fix it so i stepped back.

as the offer is online for quite some time now, i guess one could bargain a little bit and get a better price...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dangerseeker said:

no problem at all. i was considering to buy it myself as the chassis of my sf broke (as it always does) but i managed to fix it so i stepped back.

as the offer is online for quite some time now, i guess one could bargain a little bit and get a better price...

Just out of curiosity where did your chassis break.... sounds like it can break quite easily.. what caused it.... is it generally not too strong and how easy can you get a new chassis if it required it.

The Striker/Sonic Fighter chassis typically breaks across the point where the steering rods stick out. it's the thinnest, least reinforced point of the chassis and it snaps there when you hit something hard, or when something hits it like when my brother thought it'd be funny to headlong ram his Mad Bull into my Striker when both of us were equipped with 11T motors... Right after I told him to steer clear because he broke the last chassis and didn't replace it. This didn't happen when we were kids. I wasn't pleased to say the least.

Replacement chassis' are few and far between, typically expensive when you find them, and not always in the best condition (I've seen some 'new' ones look like they'd been pulled straight out of a septic tank.) Repairing broken ones is possible but not always clean and easy. My last repaired chassis was done using friction welding and it seems to be quite a strong bond. That being said, I haven't built it back up into a running model as I've kept it aside as a spare until the new chassis (which replaced it) gets broken.

As told by VagabondStarJXF that is the weak spot of the chassis. Here are some pics of the bonded breakage (some sanding badly needed here). Works well, but I also got the "CRP 3048 Front Chassis Stiffener - FX-10" that reenforces the whole thing.

http://www.rcchopshop.com/crp/3048.html

I did not install it as the car is waiting for assembly, but people say it is the remedy for this chassis.

Spare chassis are quite rare and really expensive.

sonic%20broken.jpg