Lee1075

Lee´s build thread. Sussex Police Rover SD1 on a ta03R Chassis

Welcome to my build thread. After starting a introduction topic someone mentioned i should make one, so here it is.

Basically i'm going to try and convert the Tamiya Impreza WRC body into the road going Impreza called the P1, which i happen to own. 

The Kit: Tamiya 58210

This has been stored in my attic for the last 16 years.

Impreza1.jpg

Impreza2.jpg

Impreza3.jpg

What i am trying to make: Subaru Impreza P1

Impreza0.jpg

What is the Impreza Prodrive P1?

Its a limited edition version of the Japanese spec Impreza STi type R Coupe only ever available in the UK.

Limited to 1000 units, built in 1999 by Subaru UK in collaboration with Subaru Japan, STi, and of course Prodrive. For those of you that dont know who Prodrive are, they made all the WRC Imprezas.

The biggest difference between the Tamiya shell and the P1 is obviously the fact that Tamiya based it on the WRC car, which means i need to convert it a little. The roof air vents need to go as do the bonnet vents. 

The front bumper is incorrect , the P1´s front splitter is missing, the rear wing from the P1 is totally different (made by McLaren) and last but not least the wheels are incorrect. The Tamiya body i also too wide and would make up a perfect 22B version of the car, but honestly i'm not sure what to do there. I have looked all over the internet but i cannot find any different versions of the classic styled Impreza other than the WRC cars :(.

I will be trying to make up all the P1 relevant decals myself using coral draw. I have never done that before, but im sure youtube can help :rolleyes:. That will consist of:

• Prodrive P1 Titanium badges
  • Front Splitter with drivers lights and covers (Not fogs!)
  • SUBARU Lettering on the boot
  • O.Z Racing lettering for the wheels
  • Wipers front and rear
  • P1 embossing on the rear spoiler
  • Carbon gurney flap on the rear spoiler
  • Custom number plates as in the picture from my P1

I am not going to cut up the original body or rear spoiler, i would rather leave those completely untouched so i have ordered the following at Siedel´s.

• Tamiya 05726 Mirrors Lexus GS400, these look like the impreza door mirrors that are missing from the kit.
  • Tamiya 04134 Spoiler Impreza WRC 1999
  • Tamiya 1825324 Body Impreza WRC 1999.
  • Tamiya 0445837 Wheels Impreza WRC 2001. These are exact copies of the O.Z Racing wheels used on the P1, just in the wrong colour.
  • Tamiya 50419 Tyres 26mm, these are the same as the original kit ones and copies of the Pirelli P Zeros. Which the P1 originally had.
  • Tamiya 53113 Inner Sponge

The TA03F Chassis plus Hop-Up Options.

I have finished building the chassis and used the following Hop-Ups.

• 53280 TA03 Super Low Friction Damper Set
  • 53263 Dyna-Run Super Touring Motor
  • 53279 TA03 Torque Splitter (front mounted)
  • 53309 TA03 Titanium Suspension Shaft Set
  • 53287 TA03 Carbon Reinforcing Plate
  • 53275 TA03 Alu Motor Heat Sink
  • 53268 TA03 Urethane Bumper Set
  • 53113 Racing Inner Sponge Set.
  • TA03 Race Ball Bearing set (Carson)

Now time for some pictures, the chassis so far:

Impreza4.jpg

Impreza5.jpg

Impreza6.jpg

Impreza7.jpg

Impreza8.jpg

Impreza10.jpg

Impreza9.jpg

The O.Z racing wheels arrived today, just need to paint them the correct colour. That would be anthrazit, a colour thats not available from Tamiya so i will be using TS-38 Gun Metal Grey.

Impreza11.jpg

Thats all for today, thanks for reading. Im off back to the UK tonight so nothing will be happening for the next 14 days.

• Like 7

Interesting! Clearly a well-researched project; I will wait around the next few days to see how this one turns out. Spectacularly, I think ;)

• Like 1

Are you going to fit light buckets or keep the stickers for the headlights? The Nissan R34 Skyline buckets fit quite well. I used them for the 1998 WRC I built:

impreza-98-frontside-high.jpg

If you want a set of matt black window frame stickers, computer cut from vinyl I can help you out there. I made a set for these which are gloss where the glass has the black backing and matt where they should be rubber, unlike the original Tamiya ones which are all gloss.

• Like 8

Looking forward to this, I've been building something similar only mine is staying boxart. I've finished the ta03f chassis just waiting on better weather to paint the body. 

Trucknorris - good tip on the light buckets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

Are you going to fit light buckets or keep the stickers for the headlights? The Nissan R34 Skyline buckets fit quite well. I used them for the 1998 WRC I built:

If you want a set of matt black window frame stickers, computer cut from vinyl I can help you out there. I made a set for these which are gloss where the glass has the black backing and matt where they should be rubber, unlike the original Tamiya ones which are all gloss.

I honestly didn't give that any thought, i have just checked the in box decals and they are the wrong headlights anyway. They are for the 93-98 Impreza, the 99-00 had crystal clear headlights like in the picture from my P1.

Something more to add to my decal list, although the bucket lights sound like a great tip too. Amazing build by the way.

The window frame sticker would be a huge help, as you pointed put the way you have done them is correct. I will be in touch when i get back from my holiday. Thankyou.

I just had a read through that, amazing work!

I was planning to use coral draw to design them and then get a company here in Germany to print them on vinyl paper, just like real stickers. Im not too sure how the result would turn out using my inkjet with waterslide paper. 

But i will try the home method first, if the results are bad i will turn to someone who can produce good results.

I have never worked with lexan before, although i have been making plastic model kits, scratch builds and kit conversions of WW2 tanks for years.  Cutting those roof  air vents out is easy,  as is removing the bonnet vents it's something i'm going to think about and research when i get back. 

If there is a way of cutting and filing that would be the easiest option really, just means i would need to paint the body from the outside afterwards. I think far more difficult is the task of grading down the big angle on the WRC cars widened wheel arches, which only they and the 22B had.

Thats one reason why im not going to touch the kits original body, i am going to buy another one and play with that. I know quite a few people in the model making scene here, It may even result into getting the lexan body made up correctly and then moulding it and producing a hard body street version of the GC8 Impreza. The only problem with that would be the cars glass, but time will tell.

On 18/02/2017 at 0:12 AM, Truck Norris said:

Also curious as to how you'll remove the roof vents?

Just got back home yesterday, now i have been looking into various ways of cutting and refilling the body. Seems like the " Bondic Pen" is the way forward for me.

7 hours ago, WillyChang said:

FYI if it's any closer to your target, jap company Pandora makes this:-

Thank you for that, yes i have previously found that on the net. They also make the rarer Impreza GF8 body, but alas that is still a 22B and not a normal GC8 2dr body.

yeah, tell me about it - I'm in the same boat :mellow: I'm wanting to build this GC8:-

snapshot20130312152627.9.jpg

Took a while for 1/10 shells to appear after car debuted BiTD but then every major manufacturer had their own STi... first was a nice jap brand, can't remember name but they didn't make full kits only RC accessories. Kyosho (quite blobby) and HPI (smooth roof?)

• Like 1

That would be the HPI with the smooth roof, http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/7312

So you are trying to make an MY99-00 GC8 Sti type R, with the 22B (WRC) front bumper. That was actually an actual option in Japan. 

You can tell it's a MY 99-00 car because of the bonnet vents.

13 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Is the current TT02;Tamiya Monte Carlo Imprezza not close enough?

Body sets are c£35 on eBay. Much less pronounced roof scoops too. 

The flex in polycarb shells makes filling, bonding and painting the outside challenging.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=408402&gclid=CP71yYeDs9ICFYYcGwodBEwAdA

Thats the body i'm going to have to use, its exactly the same as the one i have now. I just dont want to destroy the original body from 1998, i would rather use that doing a box art version too.

I wont be driving the rc car around anyway, it's more of a show case to use with my car at meetings.

Why not purchase a complete TT02 Monte Carlo kit (£109) and a spare body set (£35) so you get one car (TT02) as a runner, one as a display (TA03) and you can keep your original mint and un-painted.

A friend of mine had the same TA03 Imprezza you have when they first came out. They don't wear at all well on-road due to ground clearances. 

• Like 1

Did they re-re a bodyset when they popped out the '99 Monte?

I haven't stumbled across it nor its part# in my recent wanderings. 

That TT02 kit is strangely hard to find around these parts too. :(

Its in my first post.

Tamiya 1825324 Body Impreza WRC 1999

Then you will need

Tamiya 04134 Spoiler Impreza WRC 1999

yeah those 7 or 9 digit codes are for special order from factory, not every shop can do it :mellow:

i was wondering if the GC8 had any recent appearance as a BodyParts Set (=lexan, wing sprue & decal/masking sheets) under a retail/sparepart product number eg 51xxx

The original 58210 & 58226 had BodyParts set sold as 50782. 

At Modellbau Siedel if i put 58631 in the search box, i get the GC8 body, Body parts set and decals / window masks from the Monte-Carlo car shown.

Maybe that helps? :huh: 

May have to put this on hold for a while, although i have painted the O.Z wheels in Gun Metal Grey and i'm thinking about painting the original body in box art style, i have just won an ebay auction for a Tamiya 58096 Celica, which was my first car. :D

5 hours ago, WillyChang said:

yeah those 7 or 9 digit codes are for special order from factory, not every shop can do it :mellow:

i was wondering if the GC8 had any recent appearance as a BodyParts Set (=lexan, wing sprue & decal/masking sheets) under a retail/sparepart product number eg 51xxx

The original 58210 & 58226 had BodyParts set sold as 50782. 

No body parts set (as yet, anyhow) for the re-re 1999 car.

There are some sellers on eBay who are splitting TT02 kits so you can buy body sets. 

the TT02's shell comes prepunched afaik, so does the spare part item

was hoping for an unpunched body ^_^ which modern BodyParts sets often are

already have 58210 which is punched, so is the old BodyParts set in paper box

the Taisan Porsche, Blitz Supra and Loctite Skyline R33 briefly came unpunched when redone as modern BodyParts set (packed in plastic bag) but when they reappeared in kits they came punched again 

Punching ain't pretty when post holes go thru window :unsure:

Little update:

Cut out the original body and polished out the marks that you could see in the previous pictures.

Impreza12.JPG

Impreza13.JPG

Testing how the P1 wheels look like:

Impreza14.JPG

Tamiya CPR Unit fitted:

Impreza15.JPG

• Like 6