Lee1075

Lee´s build thread. Sussex Police Rover SD1 on a ta03R Chassis

Light bar testing without the base. (Demo mode)

The only RC car that i have with electrics fitted and a 3rd and 4h channel is my 2004 Savage SS, that's why its in the video.

Testing in daylight, indoors:

Testing in darkness, indoors:

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Lee1075 said:

Light bar testing without the base. (Demo mode)

The only RC car that i have with electrics fitted and a 3rd and 4h channel is my 2004 Savage SS, that's why its in the video.

Testing in daylight, indoors:

Testing in darkness, indoors:

That is really cool. Great job.All you need now at the two tones!!

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear it broke but looks like you are printing another with holes.  

Lights look great.  The difference sequences look like a real cop car.  Would you also add flashing lights / strobes to the headlights as well?  Siren 🚨 sound too?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frankster said:

Sorry to hear it broke but looks like you are printing another with holes.  

Lights look great.  The difference sequences look like a real cop car.  Would you also add flashing lights / strobes to the headlights as well?  Siren 🚨 sound too?

Thanks, new base is printed and fits. I was going to have to remake it anyway, as there was no way to fix the led´s  inside on the first version.

I don´t think the 1980´s police cars in the UK had flashing headlights, not sure though. Maybe someone else can enlighten us on that? A few people have asked about sounds, that's something i may well look into but have no idea about.

17 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

Those lights work so well.

Cheers, I'm rather pleased myself.

You should be.  Reminded me of getting pulled.

Was thinking about that rear spoiler.  Do you think cutting the raised section out of the shell and replacing it with a printed flat piece, incorporating Police Stop, would work?

• Haha 1

I had thought about that myself, that might work. I´ll give it some more thought when the rest of the parts arrive from Japan. That´s the only reason i haven't started the shell yet, don´t even have any body posts to rest it on the chassis.

Any body experts here care to give some insight into that M 800´s thought? @alvinlwh :)

Edit; side view of the rear spoiler, with an imaginary cut line. Although, looking at the original, the spoiler hangs over to boot too. Maybe it´s better to fill it out? The question is what with? and that would need painting from the outside.

Side view Spoiler.jpg                                                                         Side view Spoiler filled.jpg

Police Stop real.jpg

Best way of mounting body without ruining the scale appearance would be magnets.

Not quite sure I explained properly.  I mean cut the whole spoiler out so you are left with a rectangle hole below the rear window.  Then print a flat panel to fill, with Police Stop incorporated.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

Best way of mounting body without ruining the scale appearance would be magnets.

Not quite sure I explained properly.  I mean cut the whole spoiler out so you are left with a rectangle hole below the rear window.  Then print a flat panel to fill, with Police Stop incorporated.

I´ll go down the route of using magnets, just the chassis is missing posts completely. How would you attach the new panel?

I reckon if i would fill the spoiler out, like above in black,  it would reflect the original quite well and i could screw in on using the bodies spoiler without any cutting at all. Just unsure what material to use. I could 3D print a part and hollow it out, so weight wouldn´t be an issue. Getting the curve right though could be a pain. Maybe styrene would be an option. 

41 minutes ago, Lee1075 said:

Edit; side view of the rear spoiler, with an imaginary cut line. Although, looking at the original, the spoiler hangs over to boot too. Maybe it´s better to fill it out? The question is what with? and that would need painting from the outside.

Side view Spoiler.jpg  

I have no idea. I had never worked with filling out a PC shell so not sure what will stick. Also, painting will be very difficult. I assume you are painting the body from the inside, it will them be quite hard to match the paint job to the outside. Also, any attempts at filling will involve sanding, pretty sure you will not want to sand the outside of the shell. 

How about chopping the whole thing off and 3D printing a new one? I am not familiar with 3D printing, so not sure how you will make a model that will fit perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

I have no idea. I had never worked with filling out a PC shell so not sure what will stick. Also, painting will be very difficult. I assume you are painting the body from the inside, it will them be quite hard to match the paint job to the outside. Also, any attempts at filling will involve sanding, pretty sure you will not want to sand the outside of the shell. 

How about chopping the whole thing off and 3D printing a new one? I am not familiar with 3D printing, so not sure how you will make a model that will fit perfectly. 

I think i would need to paint the whole rear spoiler from the outside then. Got a feeling if i cut the whole thing out, it would be impossible to attach a new one. Maybe that's just me over complicating things. Thanks for your suggestions guys, will have a ponder on it.

9 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

A few people have asked about sounds, that's something i may well look into but have no idea about.

May have an answer for you on that. I'm aiming to do the same with my ice cream van, record a sound to a module, which then plays on a push of the channel 3 button. Yours could initiate both the sound and the lights on the same button press I guess, if you wire in the lights through the switch you have and a sound module through the hobbyking on/off switch, but both out of the channel 3 receiver socket. 

See here:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100816-the-depths-of-channel-3/

• Thanks 1

The easiest way would be to use PC for replacement panel.  Your cuts would have be very clean and very close tolerances to try and lose the fill in panel.  Spray it, then stick another PC panel, slightly larger, behind it, so you have a lip all the around.  For sticking, maybe silicone of sorts?

Maybe a larger in fill panel, so that you you can lose the cut lines in the body details, such as the lower rear window frame?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M 800STD said:

The easiest way would be to use PC for replacement panel.  Your cuts would have be very clean and very close tolerances to try and lose the fill in panel.  Spray it, then stick another PC panel, slightly larger, behind it, so you have a lip all the around.  For sticking, maybe silicone of sorts?

Maybe a larger in fill panel, so that you you can lose the cut lines in the body details, such as the lower rear window frame?

Cheers for your thoughts, i´ll ponder on which way is the easiest for me, as i have zero experience with PC. 

On a side note: found a video to see how that rear sign works, finding the sounds on the other hand is quite difficult

Finding sound units is easy, the hard part is finding the correct tones.

IIRC, there was a unit that you could download to.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:11 PM, M 800STD said:

Finding sound units is easy, the hard part is finding the correct tones.

IIRC, there was a unit that you could download to.

Yeah, the unit isn´t the problem, those sounds are. Unless you own Forza, which i remembered i had. :lol: They added a SD1 with a police version upgrade. Wasn´t easy extracting the files from it, but its done :ph34r:

In windows Media Player you won´t hear anything, using VLC it works.

Just for fun I've uploaded the siren.

horn.wav

Keen to know what sound hardware you get. I think I have an option but if there's something tried and tested that'd be a big step forward. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Keen to know what sound hardware you get. I think I have an option but if there's something tried and tested that'd be a big step forward. 

No idea really. Lights and sounds will be the last things i look at. I did win a new TLU01 on eBay just now for 20€, so that should be okay for the body lighting. The light bar has its own mode button that i can set first and then turn on and off using a free channel.

The sounds are last on my list, would be great if someone already had some recommendations about the hardware.

Photo of actual car look like the police sign is sticking out proud of the tail lights and not flush as you have drawn in red.  Maybe 3D print a sign (looks like you already have that skill with the sirens) and surface mount to spoiler?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Photo of actual car look like the police sign is sticking out proud of the tail lights and not flush as you have drawn in red.  Maybe 3D print a sign (looks like you already have that skill with the sirens) and surface mount to spoiler?

The drawn red line is a cut line, the drawing in black shows the end result. But yes you are correct, the sign sticks out beyond the boot. Maybe a 3d print, maybe a silicon mould, or even cutting it away like M800 suggested Will think about that.

We probably need to know what car will be built for the villain to be chased in!

XR3i ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, svenb said:

We probably need to know what car will be built for the villain to be chased in!

XR3i ?

Capri Laser 

• Like 1