Lee1075

Lee´s build thread. Sussex Police Rover SD1 on a ta03R Chassis

No idea, had not thought that far yet. Sierra Cosworth?, Capri? Manta? Lotus Carlton?  Might do a poll when its finished :ph34r:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Capri Laser 

Work in progress! (Only a decal or two away from the Laser designation) 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Capri Laser 

3 litre or 2.8i 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

3 litre or 2.8i 

It's a jewellery job so 3 litre, shooters, Reagan masks. Nothing left to chance. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, svenb said:

3 litre or 2.8i 

Mine's only a 1.6. Couldn't afford the insurance on a 2.8. But it'll have an exhaust like a bucket that drags along the ground and a body kit that looks like I've screwed an IKEA bookcase to the front. Does that count? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Mine's only a 1.6. Couldn't afford the insurance on a 2.8. But it'll have an exhaust like a bucket that drags along the ground and a body kit that looks like I've screwed an IKEA bookcase to the front. Does that count? 

Still got it?

Mine was a 1.6 LS now a 3.6 V8 had it 29 years

2 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

No idea, had not thought that far yet. Sierra Cosworth?, Capri? Manta? Lotus Carlton?  Might do a poll when its finished :ph34r:

Still think you need to build Hotel 900 for air cover. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, svenb said:

Still got it?

Mine was a 1.6 LS now a 3.6 V8 had it 29 years

Kinda. It's about 40cm long and wasn't made by Ford. 😁

My first car was a 1977 Mark V Cortina 2.3 Ghia, cost me £750 back in 1992.  Drove it home after buying it to find out no company would insure me. My old man decided to keep it for himself :lol:.

Edit: on second thoughts, you guys could all build the villains cars :D

• Haha 3

On 2/3/2022 at 8:04 PM, BuggyDad said:

May have an answer for you on that. I'm aiming to do the same with my ice cream van, record a sound to a module, which then plays on a push of the channel 3 button. Yours could initiate both the sound and the lights on the same button press I guess, if you wire in the lights through the switch you have and a sound module through the hobbyking on/off switch, but both out of the channel 3 receiver socket. 

See here:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100816-the-depths-of-channel-3/

Im going for this sound module, as its small and can play any 1 file i want, not going to do engine sounds. The shop also has electric switches, hopefully by using a Y splitter like these i should be able to turn the light bar and sound on and off from my radio unit. Unless im missing something, which i wouldn´t doubt tbh :lol:.

28 minutes ago, Lee1075 said:

Im going for this sound module, as its small and can play any 1 file i want, not going to do engine sounds. The shop also has electric switches, hopefully by using a Y splitter like these i should be able to turn the light bar and sound on and off from my radio unit. Unless im missing something, which i wouldn´t doubt tbh :lol:.

I'm going to aim much cheaper, because mine is just a bit of fun and I haven't put in your level of workmanship, but also partly because I don't know what I'm doing and it might all be a waste of money! 😁

17 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I'm going to aim much cheaper, because mine is just a bit of fun and I haven't put in your level of workmanship, but also partly because I don't know what I'm doing and it might all be a waste of money! 😁

To be honest i thought mine was cheap, had my cart filled over in the Tamico shop and that was anything but cheap. The wife wasn´t happy, so that was that :lol: Got the same feeling as you, no idea if it will work. That rear sign and lighting it up,  with one side that is on and the other that flashes is doing my head in.

Edit: just looked at that sound module your looking into, that´s nice and you can change the sounds. Would be nice if you could wire it in instead of the separate battery box.

1 hour ago, Lee1075 said:

The wife wasn´t happy, so that was that :lol:

My bank statement just arrived in the post today and my wife wasn't too happy too! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

Just looked at that sound module your looking into, that´s nice and you can change the sounds. Would be nice if you could wire it in instead of the separate battery box.

I was thinking simplest to take the battery box wires to the +/- out of the separate rc switch and wire the module switch closed. But can experiment my way with this, switch etc.

It might be we also need something to regulate voltage down to 6v, for which one of these might do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202182036055

or

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/103493/

A few bits arrived in the post today, now i can start on the chassis. The TLU01 unit was new, tested once by the seller and sold for 20€ to me :)

TLU01.jpg Tree1.jpg Body posts.jpg

Haven´t had any time over the weekend really.

Managed to get my light bar base (V2) done. Printed, sanded the bottom part down. Airbrushed using Testors chrome and Vallejo gloss black.

Then fitted the leds, this base version lets me screw them down :)

Light bar chrome.jpg

Light bar inside done.jpg

On 2/4/2022 at 11:23 AM, svenb said:

We probably need to know what car will be built for the villain to be chased in!

XR3i ?

Made a decision on that today after finding the shell. All I'm going to say is: British and from the 80´s. Only ever sold in one colour apart from 5 cars i think. The police officer driving the SD1 would have the shock of his life if he ever pulled this car over. Unless he was...........................

6 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

Made a decision on that today after finding the shell. All I'm going to say is: British and from the 80´s. Only ever sold in one colour apart from 5 cars i think. The police officer driving the SD1 would have the shock of his life if he ever pulled this car over. Unless he was...........................

Delorean? There were only 3 of them I think. Red, black and yellow pre production models?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274379889278

Lotus Carlton was another single colour car, a type of BRG but it wasn’t built until 1990!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

Series one RS turbo

Princess Di in her black one with an Orion front grill , electric mirrors and in black!!?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, svenb said:

Series one RS turbo

Princess Di in her black one with an Orion front grill , electric mirrors and in black!!?

I am defeated 😞. Good call 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Series one RS turbo

You got it.

53 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I am defeated 😞. Good call 

Nice try anyway.

• Thanks 1

Little update, no pics. Working on the Police STOP sign for the rear, as well as a new base for the light bar :o. Base V2 works well, but you cant really tighten the screws that much, the resin just crumbles away. I´m designing it now where nuts can be superglued into the holes, then covered with resin and hardened. It´s ok just like it is to hold the led´s in place, but it needs to be fixed to the body to. 

Things todo:

Stickers; Had no reply yet from Screen Print Digital after sending them all the artwork. 

Light bar base V3; Needs to be "useable / Removable / Fixable"

Police STOP sign;  In talks with a company, they have a prototype but i would need to figure out how to fix it onto the Rover body.

• Like 1

Update; busy week at work :unsure: and over the next 4 weeks i´ll be teaching over the weekends too. After that I'm of to visit my colleagues in Austria for a week.

Screws, nuts and washers arrived for the light bar, so i can measure them up and start redesigning the base plate. 

All the artwork has now been sent off to a graphic designer, he will make vectors out of all the images, scale them and make a decal sheet template.

The company in Germany who has a "prototype" POLICE STOP" flashing rear sign, can´t quite understand the fact, that I'm building a UK police car that has different signs to the USA :blink:

After telling him what i wanted, sending in measurements and the sticker in scale. It seems he still can´t understand exactly what i want (even after sending pictures and linking that YouTube video). First off it was "no problem", then it won´t work.  Now i have been told that it will only work if i buy a metal frame that holds it all together. That wont fit the car anyway and i would bin it, nope he didn´t understand that part either. I'm getting annoyed :lol:.

Screws.jpg Screws2.jpg