ELEPHT70

Hello NOOB From Down Under

Hello guys my name's Craig, I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I think I'm going through a mid-life crisis of sorts at the age of 40 haha as I just last week picked up an old Tamiya off one of the local buy/sell sites and I now have another two cars coming in the mail lol. 

I was off work with a virus and started looking through the local rag with the search criteria being "VINTAGE TAMIYA" and I came across a 1996 (hardly vintage but old enough) Fighter Buggy RX for the princely sum of $25.00AUD!

I'd actually never heard of them and after some quick googling I found them to be on the DT-01 chassis which was shared by the likes of the Grasshopper and Hornet so I thought it wouldn't be too bad as I recognised those two models from my older cousins who had them back in the '80's.

The photos on the ad weren't the best but I made contact expecting it to have been sold already. 

I picked it up later that morning. I think it was a pretty good score. After checking it out I found the original manual to be in excellent condition, along with basically everything else. The stickers (sadly they're missing from the box) had never been fitted to the body which barely had a mark on it and the only thing missing was one of the hex drive nuts from the rear axle. The back tyres are worn below halfway and the front are hardly touched. 

I'm going to guess and estimate less than 10 batteries were put through the car before it was put back into it's box and forgotten about. The missing hex splined nut prolly got lost somewhere along the way and that was that for the little buggy's life. 

Until 21 years later I come along and start cleaning it up! 

Nothing in my house stays "stock" for long so I got researching for some good ideas on tricking out this little gem to go a bit harder. And look a little cooler as well. That's how I found this Web site and I'd like to congratulate all of you on sharing your knowledge, love and passion for the hobby. I'm truly grateful and was so pumped I felt compelled to sign up and say g'day! 

Right, where was I...

So after a bit of online research and chatting to a friend about some crazy things to do the first thing I did was order a FLY SKY FS-GT3B remote, the 12mm splined hex wheel hubs and a full set of sealed bearings for the diff and wheels.

I then read about someone using a turnbuckle kit from another model's hop up parts bin so I ordered it (#53300) for the steering link.

Then I ordered a better steering servo. A Hitech HS-5485HB digital jobbie that should provide a bit more reliability.

I then got an iMAX B6AC battery charger.

Then I got a bit excited. I ordered a 4300kV brushless motor and ESC combo lol. Nothing exotic just a GoolRC waterproof 3650 4300kV with a 60A ESC. I've read some pretty good reviews and for less than $61AUD posted I thought what the heck. 

Then a set of Wild Willy 2 chrome wheels which have an amazing negative offset to give some fat dish (and widen the track a bit - helps roll over prevention - learnt that one from someone in here) and the correct uprights with the slightly longer axle (#0445169 & #0445207) got the nod along with some blue anno nyloc wheel nuts. I just have to find some excellent quality tyres for the odd wheel size. Haven't managed to find a modern tyre in that size as yet... 

Some blue anno adjustable oil filled alloy shocks (100mm rear, 85mm front) are on order as well. 

I then ordered a MAD BULL body shell as I didn't want to destroy the beautiful original condition FIGHTER body shell as this thing is prolly going to be crashing alot... I'm going to paint it French Blue with a pearl clear. I've always loved the finish on the '95/6 Hoffman Bikes Taj model bmx in the baby blue colour so I loosely matched the colour off a pic on my phone to the colour of the caps in the Tamiya spray colour rack in the hobby shop lol. It won't stay pretty for long, though... 

Then, the silliest choice of all was a 4500mah 3S 40C lipo battery lol. I think I'll start this buggy off on a 2S lipo for now till I get used to it and get the chassis/suspension/steering dialled in. 

I'm prolly going to get some threaded rod and make a stronger, adjustable steering rod to replace the soft plastic ones it came with. 

I might even get into making a double wishbone front end in the future... 

When replacing the plastic bearings in the diff I cleaned it all out and repacked the center with sticky synthetic helicopter prop grease. Should do the trick in keeping both wheels humming. I hope... I'll need advice on gearing too, please guys and gals. Feel free to offer your knowledge... 

I'll be making a wheelie bar, installing some dune buggy lights and crashing the badword out of this thing hopefully soon! 

I'm still waiting on quite a few parts to arrive but in the meantime I've pulled the whole thing apart and given it a clean and I was pretty chuffed at the overall excellent condition of everything. Even the batteries still work perfectly after only one quick charge and a test in my mate's Stadium Thunder so I'd hazard a guess to say that everything is in working order. I'll prolly never know as I've ripped it all out lol. 

I'll try to include some pics and if any of you guys think I'm either doing the wrong thing or would like to offer some constructive criticism please feel free to get stuck into me lol. 

Really, I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Anyways I'll update this thread as parts arrive.

Cheers for now, 

Craig. 

Screenshot_20170207-061914_zpsdrmizuau.p

Screenshot_20170207-061925_zpslaaxtyxt.p

DSC_3556_zpsq2ejqy2c.jpg

DSC_3557_zpsinvgn7bj.jpg

DSC_3558_zpsbt50akil.jpg

DSC_3559_zpsobqltu1g.jpg

DSC_3561_zpsemhx81vt.jpg

DSC_3566_zpszndo4los.jpg

DSC_3589_zpszz6ab3kq.jpg

DSC_3591_zps6obsghdl.jpg

DSC_3597_zpsmu254dhd.jpg

DSC_3598_zpsyaba3o9z.jpg

DSC_3626_zpsle0mwyn3.jpg

DSC_3635_zpsnnxt16ju.jpg

DSC_3636_zpsnv7wlo8r.jpg

Screenshot_20170216-174630_zpsylbgdvmb.p

DSC_3642_zpsgepvyxgk.jpg

DSC_3644_zps31pulyeh.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Craig..

Welcome to Tamiyaclub...

It looks to be an awesome project that you have set for yourself, and I'll be looking forward to seeing it finished..

• Like 1

Hi mate and thanks for the welcome! 😊

I was concerned I'd bitten off more than I could chew as I've never owned a Tamiya before. The last R/C car I had was prolly 27-30 years ago in the form of a Jet Hopper lol. It's long gone. 

Ooh and I forgot to add a friend has donated some ProLine Dirt Hawgs to suit the skinny front buggy rims so I think I'll try to find some new skinny fronts so I can use them. Not sure how the yellow will go with the planned colour scheme and I don't fancy painting them as they're in real nice condition. 

Some chrome skinnys to match the Wild Willy 2 rims would be sick... 

Welcome Craig

You have a great first score there - looks in good order for 25 , and a manual too , can't be bad :)

• Like 1

Hey Kev cheers mate. I was so glad I got the manual. The part number referencing in the back of it is such a valuable resource to help in the quest for replacement parts. 

I just wish the postie would hurry up!! 😂

I know, right?!?! 

I've got an original '80's Hornet with period hop up parts in very very good condition being posted on Monday morning lol. 

And I ordered a VKAR RACING "BISON" 4WD truggy thingy so I can keep up with my son's newly acquired Traxxas Slash. 

Seriously, in one week 4 cars have been paid for lol what the actual fffff!!! 😂😂

Here's the Hornet which should arrive in a few days. Especially looking forward to getting this one 😍

Screenshot_20170219-053324_zpsqzsfl6fy.p

My son, Koop's Traxxas Slash 2WD that's just had a set of Louise Racing Wheel/tyre combo fitted. 

DSC_3606_zpsfkpvhmcc.jpg

The new weapon. Again, it's still in the post ffs... 

unnamed_zpsrbcp2jun.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Craig .

Welcome to TC and your worst nightmare where you leave you wallet at the door !

Mate we are all in the same boat here the majority of us suffering from a midlife crisis ,but at least here we are all on this journey suffering together .

Welcome mate .

Stuart .

NSW / VIC border

• Like 2

You need a Frog

dsc04582lg.jpg

then a Hotshot

TAMIYA-5.jpg

then a.... :lol::lol::lol:

Greetings from fellow enabler... possibly just in the next suburb over.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Swarm said:

Hi Craig .

Welcome to TC and your worst nightmare where you leave you wallet at the door !

Mate we are all in the same boat here the majority of us suffering from a midlife crisis ,but at least here we are all on this journey suffering together .

Welcome mate .

Stuart .

NSW / VIC border

Hi Stuart thanks mate. Great to see another Aussie in the place 👍

I just bought a MARUI HUNTER roller on ebay ffs what is wrong with me?! 

Screenshot_20170219-165900_zpsirko8pjf.p

Well it's cheaper than real cars lol. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WillyChang said:

You need a Frog

dsc04582lg.jpg

then a Hotshot

TAMIYA-5.jpg

then a.... :lol::lol::lol:

Greetings from fellow enabler... possibly just in the next suburb over.

Hi Willy don't get me started on Frogs lol. I've missed out on two because I simply refuse to buy fixer uppers for more than $100 and they end up selling for $102.50 ffs 😂

I might actually get a new re re kit. But at a later date. 

I've now purchased 5 fkn cars in one week haha whaaaat?!?!?! 😁

I'm in Narre Warren. 

• Like 1

Good to be out there, lotsa space! And you've got Hobbyman as "LHS"... they since closed the Dandy store & I usually CBF'd going out further without good reason; usually head north to Boronia instead.

Think my record is about 8 perhaps 9 in a week, but involves multiples from same seller ^_^ 

Yeah Frog wrecks aren't worth $100, I usually bail at half that - too much to fix to be worth paying that - might as well just buy a re-re and you'll come out even.

I should so go dig a ORV carcass out of the boneyard and fix up like been meaning to... haven't had a Frog runner on the fleet in a long while. :ph34r:

Maruis are good source of heartache... plastics were brittle when new, only get worse with age. Many usual parts are weak and spares hard to find yet afaik nobody's reporting them yet? Diff & spur gears especially so I hear.

• Like 2

Oh oh. It's too late now. Your addicted! It is just how it started for me. First one car. Then another. And before you know it you have multible projects waiting. And even do you have enough to keep you buiding and restoring for the next 2 till 4 years. You just saw one more online that you can not miss out on. So. You convince yourself you have to buy that one too.....

A lesson I did learn is that restoring is fun. But when you buy a older one there is always something wrong with it. So money wise it can add up very quickly to get all the parts. Often a new one is cheaper to buy. But then again. I often got lucky and got it really cheap. Or bought another one cheap for the parts. Hopups aside of this because you can do that on a new one and a older one that you restore. So money wise you spend the same on it.

Have fun building, restoring and driving you cars!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Good to be out there, lotsa space! And you've got Hobbyman as "LHS"... they since closed the Dandy store & I usually CBF'd going out further without good reason; usually head north to Boronia instead.

Think my record is about 8 perhaps 9 in a week, but involves multiples from same seller ^_^ 

Yeah Frog wrecks aren't worth $100, I usually bail at half that - too much to fix to be worth paying that - might as well just buy a re-re and you'll come out even.

I should so go dig a ORV carcass out of the boneyard and fix up like been meaning to... haven't had a Frog runner on the fleet in a long while. :ph34r:

Maruis are good source of heartache... plastics were brittle when new, only get worse with age. Many usual parts are weak and spares hard to find yet afaik nobody's reporting them yet? Diff & spur gears especially so I hear.

Yes it's good out here but the freeway is a joke. And the freeway lane addition is a little too little, way too late. It's bumper to bumper from 5:50am and twice as bad on the way home from 4:00 onwards...

Pet hate 😠

Yeah man I've been to the Hobby Man quite a bit lately. Made friends with a couple of the blokes there and they've been sharing their wealth of knowledge with mods and styling mainly for my son's Slash but one of the guys my age is pretty stoked on seeing how the Fighter Buggy RX turns out. I'm also sending anyone who's interested their way so making sales for them too haha! It's a great shop 👌

So you normally hit up RC GARAGE, yeah? Never been in but used to drive past every day for ages. Always wanted to stop by and have a sticky nose but getting home to have a beer seemed like a better idea at the time lol. 

8-9 cars in one week is some sort of record ffs!!! And yes, Frog wrecks aren't worth jack but I'd still like to have a crack at restoring one. I'm happy to wait. There's enough on my plate for a little while... 😀

What's an "ORV carcass"? Is that like a roller that needs plenty of love? Sounds like my wife hahahaaaa!! 😂 😂 

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the MARUI. I like the thrill of the hunt. The parts searching and the research of what bits work and what not. It's the cool part for me. The postman can eat a dk.  He's too slow lol. Getting the parts and making things happen is the magic. I've just gotten over quite a severe bmx addiction. It's far from cured but my enthusiasm has been curbed by.... 

Fkn TAMIYA ffs!!!! 😂😂😂

Ahh excuse my enthusiasm I'm watching The Wolf Of Wall Street lol  

Cheers mate 🍻 

2 hours ago, Cesco said:

Oh oh. It's too late now. Your addicted! It is just how it started for me. First one car. Then another. And before you know it you have multible projects waiting. And even do you have enough to keep you buiding and restoring for the next 2 till 4 years. You just saw one more online that you can not miss out on. So. You convince yourself you have to buy that one too.....

A lesson I did learn is that restoring is fun. But when you buy a older one there is always something wrong with it. So money wise it can add up very quickly to get all the parts. Often a new one is cheaper to buy. But then again. I often got lucky and got it really cheap. Or bought another one cheap for the parts. Hopups aside of this because you can do that on a new one and a older one that you restore. So money wise you spend the same on it.

Have fun building, restoring and driving you cars!

That's exactly it mate you said it perfectly you completely understand me haha!! 😂 

Build 

Restore 

Drive 

Mint 👌

Soooo I might of taken my son's Traxxas Slash 2WD to a track with a few of the boys who have recently purchased some new short course trucks lol. It was carnage. It rained all morning and on/off most of the day. 

First to go was my mate's Slash's spur gear. That was after less than 5 mins. 

Then a rear shock mount went on one of the Helion Select SC10's. 

Then ball joints went on the other Helion lol. 

Then my (son's) steering servo went. We had another but I still had to go for an hour total drive to the LHS to get a wiring loom extension 'cos Traxxas ffs. 

Got back, threw in a 2S 6000 lipo and happy days... Until the fkn motor overheated. Sonofa***** that was the end of my first track day. But it was awesome! 

I cannot wait to get this Fighter Buggy RX going soon!! 

Hurry up Mr Postman!!! 

Oh and Koop's Slash is going brushless now 😀

Ready for heart transplant as we speak... 

DSC_3665_zpsj5pgafoy.jpg

Welcome Elephant 70 ;)

You've bit the Tamiya bottle hard like most of us, no cute do just sit back n enjoy it. 

I saw you've posted on my Hornet thread about your incoming Hornet, well mate looks like I'm the opposite of you as I've just bought on EBay a 2nd hand DT-01 ( Mad Fighter) which is basically the same as your Fighting Buggy!

So let me steal a few ideas from your thread here for when my DT01 arrives :)

Youve already put lots of good info here already thanks pal, I'm new to this chassis too :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ELEPHT70 said:

Yes it's good out here but the freeway is a joke. And the freeway lane addition is a little too little, way too late. It's bumper to bumper from 5:50am and twice as bad on the way home from 4:00 onwards...

Pet hate 😠

Yeah man I've been to the Hobby Man quite a bit lately. Made friends with a couple of the blokes there and they've been sharing their wealth of knowledge with mods and styling mainly for my son's Slash but one of the guys my age is pretty stoked on seeing how the Fighter Buggy RX turns out. I'm also sending anyone who's interested their way so making sales for them too haha! It's a great shop 👌

So you normally hit up RC GARAGE, yeah? Never been in but used to drive past every day for ages. Always wanted to stop by and have a sticky nose but getting home to have a beer seemed like a better idea at the time lol. 

What's an "ORV carcass"? Is that like a roller that needs plenty of love? Sounds like my wife hahahaaaa!! 😂 😂 

Monash Parkinglot is a joke, has been for decades. Trouble is, most of other arterials are getting nearly as congested too, especially going west nowadays. What to do? We're never going back to the days when you could find a park right in front of the shop you need to go right in middle of the city...

Hobbyman was in Dandy for long time before opening FountainGate. Dandy had its ups and downs over the years, more down & down until close though. Didn't see any familiar faces at FG when I last popped in... but I was really going to the party supplies next door ;)

RCgarage is another sad shell these days, they were not bad 5-10yrs ago. Popped in last week, found shelves half bare, no bodyshells worth looking at, paint range other than PS was pathetic rundown stock. I guess they might be ok for TRX spares if you need them.

Hobbies4U not far away also similarly sad, barely had anything Ieft in their RC counter out back.

Up in Ringwood there's WOT they opened with a big bang originally on Maroondah Hwy in a poshy huge shop. Have since crept into a tiny dingy offstreet office space across the road with barely a street sign... stocks are a lot less these days.

No, the only halfway decent joint left these days is Metro Hobbies in Box Hill. They were once very big in Tamiya under their original owners, but these days they've moved on to DJI drones and Lego :unsure: been going in there every other week pestering them for something T to buy... usually leave empty handed.

ORV is the codename for Brat/Frog/Lancia037/Blackfoot/MonsterBeetle space frame chassis.

SRB is RoughRider/SandScorcher/FordRanger family.

The other T chassis codes like TA01-7, TB01-4, TL01, TT01-2, CC01, M01-6, DF01-3, DT01-3 etc are usually printed on the box... :P

• Like 1

On 18/02/2017 at 0:36 AM, Jason1145 said:

Welcome Elephant 70 ;)

You've bit the Tamiya bottle hard like most of us, no cute do just sit back n enjoy it. 

I saw you've posted on my Hornet thread about your incoming Hornet, well mate looks like I'm the opposite of you as I've just bought on EBay a 2nd hand DT-01 ( Mad Fighter) which is basically the same as your Fighting Buggy!

So let me steal a few ideas from your thread here for when my DT01 arrives :)

Youve already put lots of good info here already thanks pal, I'm new to this chassis too :)

Hey Jason cheers bro I'm glad to be of service! 😀

But, in fact, I got any ideas from here, so this helpful forum is the real hero... 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your Mad Fighter (is that the big wheels version like the Mad Bull?). Even if we can't get them handling like a modern buggy they will be giving off so much charm that they will be a pleasure to pedal around lol. 

I'm waiting on a couple of bits and pieces before I can dive into the final assembly stage of mine. Getting close, though!! 👍

Feel free to update your own DT-01 chassis mods in here, mate. I like it when it's all together. The only thing that irritated me when searching was that there was only little bits and pieces in many threads. Ahh well that's the thrill of the chase!! 😂

Cheers man enjoy 👍

On 18/02/2017 at 1:26 AM, WillyChang said:

Monash Parkinglot is a joke, has been for decades. Trouble is, most of other arterials are getting nearly as congested too, especially going west nowadays. What to do? We're never going back to the days when you could find a park right in front of the shop you need to go right in middle of the city...

Hobbyman was in Dandy for long time before opening FountainGate. Dandy had its ups and downs over the years, more down & down until close though. Didn't see any familiar faces at FG when I last popped in... but I was really going to the party supplies next door ;)

RCgarage is another sad shell these days, they were not bad 5-10yrs ago. Popped in last week, found shelves half bare, no bodyshells worth looking at, paint range other than PS was pathetic rundown stock. I guess they might be ok for TRX spares if you need them.

Hobbies4U not far away also similarly sad, barely had anything Ieft in their RC counter out back.

Up in Ringwood there's WOT they opened with a big bang originally on Maroondah Hwy in a poshy huge shop. Have since crept into a tiny dingy offstreet office space across the road with barely a street sign... stocks are a lot less these days.

No, the only halfway decent joint left these days is Metro Hobbies in Box Hill. They were once very big in Tamiya under their original owners, but these days they've moved on to DJI drones and Lego :unsure: been going in there every other week pestering them for something T to buy... usually leave empty handed.

ORV is the codename for Brat/Frog/Lancia037/Blackfoot/MonsterBeetle space frame chassis.

SRB is RoughRider/SandScorcher/FordRanger family.

The other T chassis codes like TA01-7, TB01-4, TL01, TT01-2, CC01, M01-6, DF01-3, DT01-3 etc are usually printed on the box... :P

Monash car park!!!! 😱🔫

The guys at Hobby Man in Fountain Gate seem to be doing ok. Whenever I'm in there, which could be literally ANY time as I've been on/off work crook for the last fortnight, the place has always someone in there. It's cool. Never boring I guess?? 

I've witnessed about 7 Helion Select products sell the last few times I've been there. Also a few Traxxas SC trucks as well. Horizon seem to be moving well also. These later brands seem to be keeping the shop alive. Hopefully for a long time. Trouble is, shops just cannot compete with online sales. Example in my eBay watch list for my son's Slash is two pairs of ProLine tyres. They're $30/pair shipped to my door. The shop has the EXACT tyres on the shelf at $50. I'm all about shopping local and keeping the dollar here etc etc but a $40 difference in a complete tyre set is borderline a joke. I'll spend there on small parts as they're cheap enough anyways but shop prices are pretty nasty compared to online. There's nothing that can be done about it though. Hard to compete. One thing the shop DOES offer over an eBay seller is service. Really, really great customer service and advice. And if you buy a part, even if a few dollars worth, they'll fit it for you as they're all hobbyists themselves and love working on R/C. That's why I do my best to support them. Unfortunately shops die for whatever reason. Maybe hobbying comes and goes in waves and atm the surf is up. Time will tell... 

It's funny you mention Tamiya and only one person in the whole shop gets excited haha! But they're all a good bunch of guys and have helped me no end with my son's Slash. I actually just bought a VKAR RACING Bison 1/10 truggy thing which goes like a cut cat and it shares identical chassis (basically the whole roller) to the Helion Select Four TR 10. But half the price. If you can find one, that is. I think I snagged the last one off eBay. But they're keen to see what I'm doing with the Fighter Buggy RX which is the main thing lol. 

Ahh cool thx for the info on chassis code. I was trying to work out what the three letters stood for lol. 

Righty-ho update time!! 

Well, the postie arrived lol. 

My new aluminium adjustable oil filled shocks came in the mail yesterday. I didn't get much time to look at them but do I have to put oil in them? I've never pulled one apart and seemed apprehensive incase I stuff the whole lot up... 

The rear ones have a cool reservoir on them that reminded me of the early awesome shock absorber days with cars and bikes in moto-cross and dessert racing being equipped with similar... 

Here's a couple of pics. There is a plate of sorts that threads into the reservoir that has a small plunger (?) built into it that I guess presses into something? 

DSC_3692_zpsgzeykql4.jpg

DSC_3694_zps4kgeauxl.jpg

DSC_3693_zpseemoxqdd.jpg

Front are similar but without the reservoirs. What grade oil should I use? 

Hmm the joys of the technical stuff haha!! 😂 

SRB= Special Racing Buggy

ORV= Off Road Vehicle

FAV= Wild One ,Fast Attack Vehicle

CC-01= Cross Country

M Chassis = Mini Cars

• Like 1

Yeah shocks usually come empty. 

Good ones usually come unbuilt too, which I'd prefer... since I'd pull any prebuilt ones apart anyway to check if they've been built right. ;)

Small RC shocks require silicone fluid, don't use the mineral shock oil from your dirtbike. Usually the seals are silicone which don't mix well with dinojuice.

Shock tuning involves thickness of oil AND the shape/#holes of the piston. You tune to suit the vehicle & track.

I usually buy Associated or Team Losi oils, easiest to find down this way. 2oz for about $12-15ish. The Americans rate their oils by "weight"... typical buggy usually run about 35-50wt oil.

if u buy Japanese oil they go by "CST"... usually around 300-500CST is same ballpark.

Shock gotta be filled then all air bubbles purged. But if there's only fluid in the chamber then it's gunna hydraulic-lock (and burst the seals)... so there's various means of relieving pressure without letting bubbles in - usually it's a rubber dome of air, some others like reservoir shocks might have a free floating piston instead.

• Like 1

Ahh cool as cheers mate. I've gone with 47wt silicon oil and the shocks are gorgeous now. 

Just gotta find some nice, light springs and she'll be floating like a butterfly lol...